Shipping Karts

Mcarlson8

Trying to buy a kart in NC and have it shipped to me in CA, my brother works for Fastenal and tried to get a quote today and his dispatch said they will not ship one from the east coast to the west coast because their trucks are usually full and do have room for something outside of the store. Do you guys have any other places to check or has anyone shipped a kart out west? If so, who did you use? Thanks in advance

I've used Greyhound before, but it was kinda' bothersome -- they required wrapping, etc. It was cheap, and I assume it arrived ok because the buyer never called to complain. I put all the goodies in a box in the seat, put cardboard on the axle stubs, wrapped the bejeebers out of the thing with shipping plastic wrap and crossed my fingers. It was a vintage kart, so somewhere smaller. Check their website for shipping info.

Another local shop uses Allied or one of the bigger carriers often.

I shipped a kart from Delaware to California at the end of 2014 via Fastenal without any issue. It took about a week and a half but the buyer got it safely without any issues.

I would contact fastenol headquarters and tell them they have a store that is full of crap!!! Maybe not that way lol but inform them of the problem.

Why not just ship with a shipping company? I keep hearing of guys suggesting Fastenal or Greyhound -- which might be fine, but consider that neither of these is an actual shipping company.
There are plenty of trucking companies out there that will ship a kart for you. We generally use FedEx Freight because we already have a commercial account with them and it makes things significantly cheaper, but on occasion shop for rates. Try http://www.pplusglobal.com/ we've used them in the past and they know racing. You could also try uship.com for rate quotes.

For sure, if you can ship it from a business location to another business location (or use their docks) it will make your shipping less expensive. If a semi has to come to your neighborhood/culdesac and palletize/wrap/lift your package, they will insist on adding a lift gate charge (which is generally $100 - $150 add'l) and you've already got a grumpy truck driver handling your kart (= not good.) Go out of your way to be friendly & make things easy for the driver and the trucking company - it will pay off.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Dock to dock is the most affordable. We ship 160lb. packages on a pallet back and forth to Broken Arrow, OK for about $120 using Old Dominion. Delivered to my shop is an additional $60. OD calls for pickup when it arrives. I think it is fair.

DK

Back