side cover coming off

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
so i bought the side cover stud kit thanks NRRACING. but the dowel pins are shorter then stock locating pins and not quite as big around. i got the right kit, info clearly on the bag. (3 kits all the same) lock tight the studs in tonight, going to let it set til tomorrow and then bolt it all up... the big question is if the dowel pins are shorter and also slightly smaller around... won't i have the same issue of the cover vibrating loose??
I really took my time building this engine, animal plv ignition, long rod, little head work..., would like to see it stay together.

got it together.. lock tighted the studs and pins in yesterday and let it set overnight. bolted it up and gave it a shot.. warmed it up and will check the torque on the stud nuts tomorrow. studs a little long... will need to trim them back to get the chain guard.

I had a couple of Predators start having some sidecover issues. I at first took it as an insult because I try very hard to make sure they are on properly. Next thing I know, both are loose again. Completely by accident while trying to repair them again, I accidently see from the inside of the blocks there was a vertical crack running up the front of each block, not easily seen from the outside. New blocks, no problem.

Check end play on the crank, .010" is about right. Too tight & it will push the cover loose. Pins are there for a reason, use the right size.

Back