Simple question

Jimbo

You can fool some of the people some of the time
What are the weight / displacement rules or where do i find them?

American Muscle Kart magazine has them in one of the issues.

I have a pdf file of the 2016/2017 rules. I have no idea where I got them from.
I could send them to you if you like.

I want to be sure i understand the weight / displacement rules.
The rule states:
200 lbs, plus one pound for every 2.5cc or fraction of a cc

What is the minimum weight for:
a 206cc pushrod engine
a 250cc pushrod engine
a 390cc pushrod engine
a 500 cc push rod engine

So, this begs the question; can a hot rodded Animal with a pixy for a driver outrun a 150 BRC, Jawa, big block motorcoss or any other configuration of UAS kart? Or,can any small block motor listed in the UAS rules?

DK

Car & driver at 285 pounds or near.

Point is; are small bore light weight UAS karts even relevant any more and is there a level of safety being breached if center punched by a 450 pound behemoth?

DK

Car & driver at 285 pounds or near.

Point is; are small bore light weight UAS karts even relevant any more and is there a level of safety being breached if center punched by a 450 pound behemoth?

DK

On small indoor size tracks, yes a well built small block can run with or out run the MX engines. Now on larger tracks like GKK, Paradise, or some of the 1/4 mile size tracks we run on... don't bet the farm on it. A really good small block can qualify good, but will get slaughtered on the starts. Even well built 390, 440 and 500cc big blocks have a hard time keeping up on the bigger tracks.

Is it just me, but with the use of motorcycle engines, karting just ain't what it used to be.
I wonder if there might be more participation if there were separate classes.

Don K wrote:

and is there a level of safety being breached if center punched by a 450 pound behemoth?

********************************************************************************

Absolutely. That is one of many reasons why sprint tracks don't allow larger karts on track with kid karts.

A 150# kart hitting another 150# kart is not good, but not nearly as dangerous as being hit by a 420# kart at a higher rate of speed.

Just what we need more classes, here in nc& sc it takes 24 plus hours to get a Saturday night show in. Just my 2cents Chuck. PS the Brc 150 is a kart specific engine and smoked um at the Gn this year granted it was a bullring.

Again I agree with you Chuck. Currently there are 3 classes in the UAS racing. WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE.... Over the past 5 years, almost every powerplant choice has won a UAS race. The racing is now competitive BECAUSE of the motorcycle engines and the cost of these engines is not much more than a 'built' Clone/Animal. Segmenting the UAS races by powerplants would do nothing more than cause each class to have less entries and would end up being as boring as the current Animal/Clone racing (5-8 karts in each class) that is run every weekend (and the tracks keep whining about low kart counts). Next time you are at a race with the UAS running, compare the number of people standing at the fence during the Clone races compared to the UAS race??? As for the weight of these karts, stand at the scales some night and be enlightened. I have yet to see a 150# kart in any UAS race (the average weight is 370#) or even in any other kart class for that matter and I have never seen anyone of the UAS drivers intentionally 'Center Punch' any other kart. They usually have their hands full controlling those '450# behemoths' as has been mentioned.

I think that some of you people responding are jumping up and down and crying 'Wolf' when there really is no problem. The UAS class is currently the most competitive class in dirt kart racing and to change that would be for nothing more than one persons own personnel benefit/gain. Put something together and run a UAS race and then see if you want to go back to Clone racing????????

Currently there are 3 classes in the UAS

UAS, JR. UAS & ????.

I don't think UAS has problems with bad drivers in general but large weight differentials can have consequence. I suppose this is true in any sport.

What I like and enjoyed about UAS racing is the "Bring your best game" rules and performance mindset. NO SPEC!

DK

UAS, JR. UAS & ????.

I don't think UAS has problems with bad drivers in general but large weight differentials can have consequence. I suppose this is true in any sport.

What I like and enjoyed about UAS racing is the "Bring your best game" rules and performance mindset. NO SPEC!

DK

You forgot the UAS Kid Kart class. If you go to the UAS website, you can see the rules for this class. It's not popular currently and we hope that will change.

Spot on Mr Bob, when you have guy's that are 6' and above and 220lbs. and above it's almost impossible to bring something under 400lbs. The fun part is to build to suit you're size or driving ability. Ya it gets expensive but at 6'4 230 lbs. a clone just doesn't get it for me. Not knocking the clone but always been a 2 smoke guy.Chuck

Don, The only way we can have a class that multiple engine sizes run is to weight them differently and you are correct. If you have drivers that just don't give a darn about the other people they are running against, you could have a problem. However, having the Administrator set the driver down and have a very serious chat with them seems like a better solution to the problem than segmenting the class by weight. The bottom line is that a driver can choose what powerplant they would like to run (light or heavy weight). There are no 'cookie cutter' karts in UAS.

Back