sonik help

just bought a crg kart which is a road rebel frame found id tag would like to find out what kind a TaG sonic it is there is no head blots on this engine head and is there a manual for break down anywere thanks for any help new to this kind a racing

Contact AZRCR (John Cochrane) for help... Or post a pic here and we should be able to help you out. There's a VX and a TX IIRC, and I don't know the differences between the two but I know they're beasts! Good luck...

thank you I've always ran 4 cycles and being a big boy looking for some more fun thanks I will contact him never seen an engine without head bolts

It has head bolts, they are under the head cover, if you notice around the sparkplug there is a brass circular collar it has 2 or 4 small holes, it unscrews via a spanner wrench, the head cover then just comes off.. giving access to the head bolts.. don't lose orings, when going back together I use a little petroleum jelly on the orings..

TX is a 125cc, VX is a 118cc engine

Another note.... if you resurface head you will have to remachine head cover as you will run out of threads and the spanner nut will not go on all the way..

Thank you what should the oil ratio be and what octane fuel any spec. On the radiator mix any help would be apprecated i want to learn and practice before i do any racing will be running at 103 st.jax. Fl. Trying to find out what gears what rpm to stay under and what temp to run at so anything would help and thank very much

8 oz. good castor or proven synthetic blend per gallon of gasoline... I'd recommend no less than 98 octane for practice, and possibly race gas for competition. I've run my 100cc ICA on 98 octane with no issues, but that was pre-ethanol blend era and tuning very conservatively. I'd keep it under 16,000 rpm and I aimed for a water temp of 135 degrees. I usually started my ICA at 10:85 gearing regardless of track and tuned from there if I needed more pull or there was a loooong straight. For TaG, I'm guessing closer to 10:80? Not sure on that. Again, others will probably chime in.

All my soniks are opens, run on alky.. 8oz, maxim 927, I use 110-112 race gas., a little more forgiving to prevent det. (on my gas engines). water temp, good rule of thumb, 50 degs. above ambient. rpms depend on pipe and other build specs..

One of my good buddies in Macclenny, will be receiving one of my 148cc soniks in a couple weeks., I'm sure he would help you out.. if you need it.. he's Wilddog here on bob's..

Parts aren't really a problem.. stuff you would normally replace are iame, and easy to find..

Hard parts, are not that bad either, I buy them as basket case's, for the crank, rod, etc.., I have enough parts, minus crank to build another one now.,

I use water and "water wetter" as directed on the bottle (I can't remember the mix ratio) (can be found at most motorcycle shops and some autoparts stores), anti-freeze is frowned upon on most tracks.. it's really slippery...

Not high jacking this thread but since you mention 103rd/Jax I was told last year at a Vintage Meet there that the track being owned by city, it was always open during normal hours for test tune/hot laps, etc. IS this so??

Tom, yes true, to find out more check with Mag17 on here, he's a neighbor and is with the club that runs races there. Also engines without head bolts, Offenhauser and Crosley.

Hello Jack and Happy New Year! Thanks for the info on 103rd. Restoring a 62 Neal Kart with a pair of Mac 9's, hope to have it done by ...well sometime in the next few months(spring). 103rd would be a great place to try it out.

Engines w/o headbolts? Like the old West Bend kart motors except 4 cyls?

A friend of mine used to be the dealer of Sonik for Spain so if you ever have questions they cantbanswer here I can akways check with him.

If your new to the Sonik run straight castor in it. My brother and a friend had problems blowing them up road racing until they switched to straight caster. If your really good at tuning your engine you can run a caster synthetic mix or straight synthetic. The straight castor is going to be more forgiving. As others have said run Redlines water wetter and use distilled water. You can use a full bottle of the water wetter. It won't hurt anything or mix it as the bottle suggests.

Back