Spark on dead stroke.

95 shaw

Site Supporter
I believe tecbigdog posted about a method used to kill the spark on the overlap event on a flathead.

My question was did you just ground the coil for that spark event?

I searched thru the old threads to no avail, but know I saw it here.

Looking at that for an off track venture.

Half speed belt driven of the flywheel
Would be too complicated.
Simple is better.
I was thinking along the line if the first post, although I dont know that a micro switch would be reliable, given the problems we used to have with toggle switches on the old flatheads.

Low rpm app.
Slow burning fuel requires a lot of advance. Might not be an issue anyway.

Last edited:
Why bother, is your coil getting hot? I've seen people pay major money on splitfire electronic ignition for Harleys to eliminate dry firing , with zero noticeable performance improvement , dry firing on the exhaust stroke doesn't cost anything, I had an evinrude rotary 45 snowmobile with a wankle that fired the coil 3 times every rpm, that was about 15,000 times per minute, no problems.

Why bother, is your coil getting hot? I've seen people pay major money on splitfire electronic ignition for Harleys to eliminate dry firing , with zero noticeable performance improvement , dry firing on the exhaust stroke doesn't cost anything, I had an evinrude rotary 45 snowmobile with a wankle that fired the coil 3 times every rpm, that was about 15,000 times per minute, no problems.
The fuel I am using (wood gas) is super slow burning.
It is hard to get half the regular power the engine is capable of with gas.
The engine is low rpm twin running a generator. Already has cam driven points, but fires both spark plugs every revolution.
Good chance there is unburned fuel still in the chamber on the exhaust stroke. Any resistance from this takes power from generating electricity.
Also need to scavenge the exhaust better.

Dreaming of a turbo to return power to original level.

Any possibility of adding a lobe on the point cam .
Then firing two coils .
Probably not if its flywheel magnito .

It's a battery driven ignition.

Could use hall effect sensors and 2 coils.
I found a video using a ford abs sensor and a coil.
Could be useful for advancing timing for the slow burning fuel.

The chrysler ignition box is suposed to be good for transistorizing old ignition systems .
Theres a couple tecumseh mods too for faulty ignition systems . Silos and smoke stacks maybe .

Tecumseh HH100 High Energy Ignition Upgrade - YouTube

This looked pretty interesting.

Probably need to read the comments as well.

Is the mixture even ignitable at that point? I understand there may be unburned fuel, but either the burn is over or is still continuing, but from a scientific standpoint, I would doubt that what’s called waste-spark would either then (1) restart combustion that ended (it did not continue for a reason) or (2) enhance ongoing combustion (i.e., give it kick to get going stronger).

Tecumseh HH100 High Energy Ignition Upgrade - YouTube

This looked pretty interesting.

Probably need to read the comments as well.
Seeing the video got me thinking again.
Anyone have any experience with the esc module used in the 81-84 or so chevy?

Was wondering how they controlled spark advance with this setup.

Working on teaching myself Arduino for this project as well.

I thought they still had weights and springs .
Another freind used the computer off the older Chevy on his fiat with the throttle body.
Might be able to do the same.

I thought they still had weights and springs .
Another freind used the computer off the older Chevy on his fiat with the throttle body.
Might be able to do the same.
They still had the weights and springs, but a knock sensor retarded the timing as well.

Are you doing this with a Tecumseh? I believe I have an extended cam and matching side cover if you would like to fabricate some kind of flywheel or adapter.

Back