Spark on dead stroke.

I would think a belt driven ignition would be “easiest” I’ve played with arduino some, not an expert by any means. Think you could have a prox sensor to a mechanical switch tht would ground coil for set time to get rid of wasted spark, but wouldn’t help your timing issues. Would raising compression help eliminate need for more advance?

Wood gas I never understood, if you are having to gasify, what’s the efficiency difference between that and steam?

I’ve looked for RV generators tht were diesel driven so that I could use waste oil mixes for “free” energy. The ones I’ve seen must have been made out of gold. Had the thought to buy a Chinese single cylinder engine to use to drive a generator and still utilize the waste oil, but haven’t done it (yet).

Might not be what you consider off grid, but waste oil is generally had for free, stored in IBC totes in the back 40 and could sustain an event where you were without grid power for extended amounts of times.

I am guessing you are attempting to power the generator directly from a wood fire? There is some guy that drives his wood fired car around here. I do not know him. If you are trying to make this a practical project for generating electrical power from wood, wouldn't it make more sense to power the generator with steam? Perhaps produce and refine your own methanol using fractional distillation?

Thinking about the above post, and steam.

Steam power is somewhat a lost technology, in our day and age.

Also requires a substantial pressure vessel with appropriate safety features. And lots of water.

I dont have a steam engine, or appropriate generator.
I have an old rv generator, some woody vegetation, and an urge to understand the gasification process.
Also merges well with things I already have experience with.

In the meantime, I am teaching myself about arduino controls to make this a somewhat autonomous operation.

Still will need some safety devices, but nothing requiring certification, like a boiler should be.

I could simply spend several thousand dollars to get power lines ran to it, with an accompanying monthly bill.

And have no real need to understand how all of it works, until it doesn't.

My property has a broken windmill, that I fell off of as a kid. Can't make myself want to climb it to repair the head.
Looking for a cheap manlift to facilitate that repair.

And working 45-50 hours a week at my regular job.

Probably too much information, but that's why I'm doing this.

Simple man lift in the grain elevator. Top pulley wood side glides tripod type carrier for the man. Box guide for the counter weight . Rope from top to bottom for assist / lift control.
Don't leave the brake off , or you got kindling.
Still gotta climb to install.

I assumed it was more the challenge then practical necessity. The reason I would advocate making a refined liquid fuel is you would be able to store it, no need to burn wood 24/7. Burning a refined liquid would have benefits to the longivity of the motor. I would suspect, due to your many insightful posts, that you would have no problem converting the Onan to alcohol. As an additional fuel source you could make a solar distillery and produce ethanol. I understand how it is difficult to find the time, I am retired and still cannot find time to do anything!

I assumed it was more the challenge then practical necessity. The reason I would advocate making a refined liquid fuel is you would be able to store it, no need to burn wood 24/7. Burning a refined liquid would have benefits to the longivity of the motor. I would suspect, due to your many insightful posts, that you would have no problem converting the Onan to alcohol. As an additional fuel source you could make a solar distillery and produce ethanol. I understand how it is difficult to find the time, I am retired and still cannot find time to do anything!
As a youth in the early 80's, the popular plan was for each farm to be able to produce ethanol from farm products to power means of production.

Attended several seminars on the subject while in high school.
While a great idea, for longevity to make this sustainable required substantial financial investment, that wasn't available on the farm scheme at the time.

I can remember my father complaining about being able to farm with gas at 50 cents a gallon.

The wood gas option may make this feasible with fewer degradable components, and more in my wheelhouse now.

And, it interests me.

Back