specs for a ltd mod animal?

spincycle

does anyone know where (if at all) a person could find online, the complete specs to do a limited modified animal build?
thx!

Open wallet. Dump a pile of cash, until you get someone's attention.

Lol

Depends on your budget, and the competition. Jimbo at faster motors offers some recipes for different budgets on his website.

For a real basic example.

Wf short block and head. Change cam and coil. Alky carb, per your rules.

Race the bejesus out of it.

Stock stroke crank/billet rod, stock ported head with oversize valves and dual valve springs, stock rockers, big cam, better coil, alky bowl carb? Did I miss anything? I've got a worn out stocker animal thinking about doing something with, don't have the money to go all out open, thought maybe a limited - mild open might be a good project.... Thx!

I have several options for you.
Call me and i'll point y0u in the right direction.

anyone with kart motor knowledge maybe know......how close power wise is a limited mod animal to a blue wazoom animal? I'm thinking the two have to be pretty close, except for the camshaft choice for the blue wazoom version.....?

Not familiar with the animal wazoom. The flathed version was slightly better than the superstock.

With what you listed, your mild open build should be a lot better.
Make your parts choices carefully, should run good for a long while.

I guess my version of limited modified would be stock block and crank, any stock size overbore piston, any length rod, stock valves. Stock head. Any cam, stock rockers, any springs, larger spec carb and intake, stock style flywheel and coil.

Last edited:
Limited flathead is pretty much a stocker with a long rod/piston combo, bigger cam, double valve springs, & a 304WX carb. About a 50% gain in power over a stocker.
Doesn't sound like what you are wanting to build.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Im not 100% entirely certain, but I believe the animal blue wazoom has a stock and stock stroke crank, billet aluminum stock length rod, standard bore cylinder with wiseco aluminum piston, untouched head, stock size valves with dual springs, unknown aftermarket cam and a small zama bowl type carb on alcohol and a standard rlv pipe with muffler....guessing maybe along the lines of a limited mod, but maybe not quite there?

Im not 100% entirely certain, but I believe the animal blue wazoom has a stock and stock stroke crank, billet aluminum stock length rod, standard bore cylinder with wiseco aluminum piston, untouched head, stock size valves with dual springs, unknown aftermarket cam and a small zama bowl type carb on alcohol and a standard rlv pipe with muffler....guessing maybe along the lines of a limited mod, but maybe not quite there?

Yes.

The cam and carb are the limiters.
Small changes to get to be a limited. Lots of relatively cheap things you can do to make more power from either of these combos.
Also can be done in stages to be easier on the budget.

Make sure the short block is in good shape first, then cam and matching springs, carb and intake, port work and big valves, ratio rockers, etc.
Long rod and matching piston is a good upgrade for little money difference if bore size needs changed. Dome for more compression, if you want. etc.

One more thing to keep in mind.

Generally speaking, as power goes up, reliability and driveability go down.
Finding the balance for your budget, track size, and mechanical ability become a concern.
The biggest, baddest engine sitting in the infield as the checkered falls did little for the driver.

Sometimes, the simple combo that keeps running is the ticket.

I run an open class on a relatively small track, we are all running the basic blue wazoom animal, I'm giving up overall weight to everybody, trying to figure out a way to have just a little more motor without going overboard and having something I can't handle or drive effectively.... Thx!

If you can or want to tune a tillotson, the one listed above will likely be a upgrade from the zama. The wf carb converted to alky would be good also.

I run an open class on a relatively small track, we are all running the basic blue wazoom animal, I'm giving up overall weight to everybody, trying to figure out a way to have just a little more motor without going overboard and having something I can't handle or drive effectively.... Thx!

Just install one of Jimbo's domed pistons - that will help on compression. Uses stock length rod and stock rings. That should be that little "something extra" that you are looking for without making tons of changes.

Personally, the first thing I'd do is dump that carb for something better.

ive put a 304wx on it, seen a nice difference on performance and smoother acceleration, of course, always trying to look for a little more while trying to be mindful of the $$$$$ being spent.....

gonna get the cylinder bored and oversize replacement piston/rings, bigger valves with dual springs, head ported with matched intake/carb and bigger/better camshaft, gonna stay with stock stroke crank/stock length billet rod and call that good enough......decided that reliability was the most important, may try some of the more exotic stuff next time around...thanks for all the input, much appreciated! btw- 95shaw, I did order a couple of them stickers just for a conversation piece...LOL

gonna get the cylinder bored and oversize replacement piston/rings, bigger valves with dual springs, head ported with matched intake/carb and bigger/better camshaft, gonna stay with stock stroke crank/stock length billet rod and call that good enough......decided that reliability was the most important, may try some of the more exotic stuff next time around...thanks for all the input, much appreciated! btw- 95shaw, I did order a couple of them stickers just for a conversation piece...LOL

motor finished and on the kart, gonna give it a run tonite for the first time, showed right at 33hp on a local kart engine shop dyno, sure hoping it makes me poop my pants...LOL!

Back