Squeeking noise

boomer216

I tried during up my modified tonight and it has it is making an awedul squeeking noise coming from the valve cover area. Any ideas to what it might be I got my fuel leaking problem fixed now this

I have never had that noise myself bit its like a loose belt on a car noise squealing and squeeking. I didn't know if I should vrank it up let it run see if it go away or what I didn't wanna damage my motor

When we used to run Legends cars with air cooled FJ1200 engines they could develop a squeak. It was in tune with the compression stroke on a given cylinder and was always a head gasket....it also would go away after it warmed up but it was foolish not to fix it.

Checked head gasket and believe that's the problem it was all blown out on a couple sides so changed it and put rtv on it and gonna see if that fixes it

OK changed head gasket and added sealer and it fixed the squeeking problem now I run into something else. I went to crank it and it crunk for split second backfired and got hard to pull. It jumped time. So checked it and reset timing and now it won't run at all. I drained fuel out of the bowl and changed spark plug because it was soaked. Inside of carb was also soaked with fuel as well. Also changed fuel pump and it will pull fuel through the pump if I take the fuel line off that goes to carb but put line back on and it will not pull. Did I just flood it and need to wait on it to dry out or should I check another problem.

Hard to pull recheck valve clearances. Your ignition timing should not change you have a problem there. Your head gasket should not blow out or leak.
If the fuel bowl is full and the engine is not running you will not see fuel flowing when you pull the cord. The carburetor does not pull fuel the pump delivers pressurized fuel, if the needle is closed fuel does not flow.

You may need to slow down and re visit every thing you changed. valve clearance first. then timing even though you've already reset it.
these are the 2 things I have the most trouble with.

I tried 2 different plugs still nothing I'll recheck timing and I know lash is -.001 but I'll check again. I fixed head gasket issue tho.

OK I got it to crank and run with the xhoke on it was the small hose I used on the carb to make the 1/4" hose fit snug on the inlet was keeping it from getting fuel to carb. It cranked and ran and idled good with choke all the way on but when I took choke off it would rev up but I couldn't give it any throttle with choke on it just died. Also think it jumped time again when it died

Put a stock key in the flywheel and get it running. deal with the carberator first, if the timing is changing all the time you are doing something wrong.

It will run fine with the full key, and then you can see where your problems are, do you have the correct taper flywheel for that crank? Are you using a torque wrench when installing the flywheel?

Yes I have a hemi crank and hemi flywheel. I am not I'm using an impact but am going to get a bigger torque wrench all I have is a in/lb one. Also do not have anything to hold flywheel or crank in place while torquing down so I will have to fabricate something I suppose. But also wouldn't just using a stock key and all effect my jetting? Like say .040 low and .044 high with 32* compared to .044 low .048 high with 38* timing? Just examples for jet sizes in relation to timing. Not real sure how much if any 4* makes on your jetting

Careful if you use a key since your flywheel keeps slipping, if that flywheel slips time while you have a key in it, it can and will ruin flywheels...i have had it happen. Find out why the flywheel isnt holding before you try using a key....has to be something wrong with the taper on either the flywheel or crank if it keeps slipping. Try with the stock flywheel and stock key to rule out the flywheel

You don't need to fabricate anything, loosen your rocker arms to assure the valves are closed feed some rope into the spark plug hole, this will stop the piston torque the flywheel.

If the flywheel is installed properly with a stock key, you should be able to get it running, then you have a starting point. You need to run this engine up to temp, I don't believe your goop is going to seal that head gasket, you need to get it running to see where you are.

Back