synthetic oil disposal

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
what is the proper way to dispose of the 4T synthetic oil? Has anyone ever filtered the oil and re used it in other equipment?

I think it says right on the label you have to drink it but check first.

Seriously we have a redneck engineered system with three automotive filters, pump and a heated tank. Heat to 150f and circulate for 15 minutes and you can reuse up to 6 times for synthetic and twice for mineral oil.

sweet, might make things move better LOL,,.. other then the standard, "take it to the oil recycle centers" seems a waste to just pitch it..
was wondering if anyone has used it in other applications? would it work in a waste oil burner? air compressor lube?

when I raced cars, I would use my racing oil to do oil changes in my truck and other cars... would pump it through a couple of fuel line filters as it only ever had one or two nights on it.. and re purpose it..

Think it would cost you more time and money to recycle and reused in another vehicle, than buying another gallon, unless your time doesn't matter..........................

The problem with reusing it is the parts you don't see. Yes, it might look shiny and new but there is more to the story than just how it looks.
The race car oil in your truck sounds like it was bad for your truck. The reason I say this is, maybe it looks pretty and new, but the story lies within the compounds. Time, pressure, and heat can easily change molecular structures.

The reason I say this is especially in a flat tappet engine or where oil can see high temps, or "load" the structure of the oil is changed as it's squeezed and heated protecting the engine. What this does is it literally sheers the molecular bonds and this breaks the oils down. When this happens it's load sheer factor is reduced and begins to allow wear depending up on how long it's used. Just because there is "oil" there, doesn't mean the oil has any beneficial properties left to protect the parts it's on. You can't "filter" away the bad oil from the good.

So, by all means use the oil as a drill/machining lube, or quenching parts, or lubing non-essentials or minor things. But, if it's important, use new oil.

So, by all means use the oil as a drill/machining lube, or quenching parts, or lubing non-essentials or minor things. But, if it's important, use new oil.

In addition to this list, one other good use for used kart oil is in the chain oil tank on your chainsaw.

Just dump it down the storm drain with the rest of the old oil!

Back when I was younger everyone just dumped their old oil in the alley behind the house, or in our case on our driveway. It killed sandburs and held the dust down.
Now I guess that is a bad thing.
I use all of my used oil as a chain lubricant. When farming I used it on baler chains and chains on other implements. I also carry a dish soap squeeze bottle with used oil when I am cutting wood as an additional bar chain oil. If I am cutting a thick log I will dribble a little used oil on the chain. What oil I have left I use to heat my shop.
I was reading an article someone wrote a couple of years ago on synthetic oil. He was some kind of lab tech who specialized in testing motor oil. He tested a sample of synthetic oil he was running in his engine of his personal vehicle. At 4000 miles he did not find any loss of lubricating properties. At 8.000 miles the oil was still good. All of the way to 40,000 miles the oil had not lost it's lubricating properties. The regular non synthetic oil lost it's lubricating properties at somewhere around 10,000 miles.
Although the oil properties did not change, the contaminates in the oil were beyond the extreme level. The contaminates would damage the engine, but the oil itself was still good. Of course that was in a car driven under normal driving conditions. He did not say what kind of car, what kind of engine or what brand of oil he was testing.
I still prefer changing the oil every week on the kart and every 4,000 miles in our cars just to be safe.

I take it you're not a tree hugger. There's a place in the side yard where my grand pop would drain his oil back in the 50's. Grass still won't grow there 65 years later.

I used to paint my wood fence posts with used oil to help preserve them. EPA cried foul! So I focused more on my 2 stroke stuff. Disposal problem solved. :)

I take it you're not a tree hugger. There's a place in the side yard where my grand pop would drain his oil back in the 50's. Grass still won't grow there 65 years later.

No, I don't claim to be a tree hugger, but I don't just dump my used oil anywhere anymore. Back in the '70's when I was a kid I did what my father and grandfather did. Dump the oil on driveways to keep the dust down, dump them on stickers and sandbur patches, dump them on the red ant hills etc. But then that is what everyone did. Now I try to re-use it for chain lube or burn it to heat my shop. We don't have any such thing as a used oil collection place here, so it is hard to get rid of. Some farmers and the repair shops do have used oil tanks that they dump their oil in. A couple of times a year they have a collection day where people can take their oil in, but I usually just burn mine.
I have often wondered though what was worse for the environment. Dump a cup full of used oil on a sandbur patch and kill them right away or dump chemicals on them every couple of weeks for a few years to kill them.

Back