Teching a motor

Team Mc Racing

I had a random thought. ( sometimes that might not be good).
When a racer takes his motor to the Tech Barn, he is dependent on the Tech Official(s) to be using measuring devices and equipment that are precise and accurate. He is measuring components from that motor based on the rules and regulations (guidelines) stated for that motor or class. I wonder if the Tech Official has his equipment professionally calibrated and has supporting documentation indicating so. I know you can purchase these tools from various places, but I am not sure they all measure with the same accurancy. I know from working in our Quality Dept. at a major manufacturing facility, we require all measuring devices to be calibrated and certified once a year. I would also think this should apply to the motor builders as well since they are the ones who build the motors to meet the required specifications.
After all a thousandth is a thousandth. It could cost you a race!
Do you think it would be inappropriate to ask the Tech Offical if his equipment is calibrated and has the supporting documentation?
Just a thought.

I had a random thought. ( sometimes that might not be good).
When a racer takes his motor to the Tech Barn, he is dependent on the Tech Official(s) to be using measuring devices and equipment that are precise and accurate. He is measuring components from that motor based on the rules and regulations (guidelines) stated for that motor or class. I wonder if the Tech Official has his equipment professionally calibrated and has supporting documentation indicating so. I know you can purchase these tools from various places, but I am not sure they all measure with the same accurancy. I know from working in our Quality Dept. at a major manufacturing facility, we require all measuring devices to be calibrated and certified once a year. I would also think this should apply to the motor builders as well since they are the ones who build the motors to meet the required specifications.
After all a thousandth is a thousandth. It could cost you a race!
Do you think it would be inappropriate to ask the Tech Offical if his equipment is calibrated and has the supporting documentation?
Just a thought.

I can't speak for all tech guys out there, but I have things like my mics, dial indicators, etc ran through certification through a friend in the tool crib at a local factory. As far as supporting documentation -- that would be difficult without having to pay a bundle for it. Mine get a small sticker on the backside of the tool, that's as much "documentation" that I get, and quite honestly I think that's adequate. When in tech, if a measurement comes up outside of the scope of the legal limits, it is generally backed up with a second tool before a ruling is made. (That's the way a good tech guy should do it in my opinion.) I don't ever want to throw a guy out for .001" just because my no go fit it. I give the racer the benefit of the doubt every time by checking that part in question with another gauge/no go, etc. If the second gauge backs up the results of the first, then you have to call it. It's not the job of the tech inspector to find a competitor "illegal," ie witch hunt. It his job to make sure that all competitors are "legal."
Kind of like the flagman...pretty thankless job, but someone has to do it. :)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

At one time WKA required that of any National/Regional tech man. Not sure if it still is or not, I haven't done tech in about 10 years now. It's not uncommon to find "no-go's" to be off. That was another thing WKA was good about though is they had 1 "master" set if you sent a part in to be appealed the "master" set was used to re-tech the part.

Now, weekend racing or racing series without any organization affiliation, your on your own. And good luck getting any certifications papers (updated) from most tech men.

Keep In mind if say a No-Go is off it should get the tech guy's attention when 3 karts in a row fail, at big events there's always more than one tech guy with numerous sets of tech tools and gauges that's why NO one tech guy makes a call before it's confirmed by another and then still always must go through the head tech guy, If all tech guy's take Brian's approach even if there stuff is not calibrated professionally they will be fine, a good tech man understands there job is to prove you legal not prove you Illegal.

I've always wondered why engine specs aren't given with GO/NOGO dimensions? That's how they are Manufactured. It's a + or - world everywhere you go.

I have always been amazed how some people were tossed in tech by tech procedures being used. I spent the first 4 years of my 25 years working for the Gov. in the calibration lab both doing mechanical and electronic instrument certifications and were required to do these certifications in a controlled environment(temp at 72 degrees and humidity at 50% ) and items being checked to be in that control environment for at least 24 hrs. Go and no-go gages vs metal components being checked can have very different temp co-efficient to a large degree.

I agree 100% with what Brian said (you can get up now Brian). I have double of just about everything. It's a must when you are trying to be as fair possible to the competitor.

All my engine measuring tools are top quality, name brand stuff, although very expensive, I'm comfortable with them. I have been in tech before when the "Tech Man" is using some Harbor Freight measuring tools, and that's when I complain. I'll trust my $250.00 set of Mititoyo calipers before a $6.00 set of Harbor Freight calipers.

I have been a Tech for many years and if something is .0005 of an inch off, I don't get excited....how much performance gain will a .0005 give you.

Just remember measurements are + and - .001 from what IS allowed so any measuring tool would have to be off over .001. Go/no go are suppose to be within .0005 of spec and you are suppose to verify that when you get them, as per (Sox) Should not be any argument if you are over or under .0005 from what IS allowed.

If I were a tech man, I think I would carry a couple of certified gage blocks in my tool kit, both to be able to verify the accuracy of my instruments to a competitor who asks, and also to check them myself at the beginning of a tech session,and if I drop one or something. this would be in addition to a yearly calibration and certification.

If I were a tech man, I think I would carry a couple of certified gage blocks in my tool kit, both to be able to verify the accuracy of my instruments to a competitor who asks, and also to check them myself at the beginning of a tech session,and if I drop one or something. this would be in addition to a yearly calibration and certification.

As you point out calibration is not necessary if you do that.

I'll trust my $250.00 set of Mititoyo calipers before a $6.00 set of Harbor Freight calipers.
I always tell people to look at the +/- accuracy on those. I've seen some that are +/-0.005" and some are +/-0.010". That's a pretty big margin of error.

Tech tools are probably overlooked much more than they should be. As much as these instruments travel, annual verification/calibration should be a minimum. That being said, how many track scales do we see with outdated calibration stickers as well?

All my engine measuring tools are top quality, name brand stuff, although very expensive, I'm comfortable with them. I have been in tech before when the "Tech Man" is using some Harbor Freight measuring tools, and that's when I complain. I'll trust my $250.00 set of Mititoyo calipers before a $6.00 set of Harbor Freight calipers.

I have been a Tech for many years and if something is .0005 of an inch off, I don't get excited....how much performance gain will a .0005 give you.

There's a good tech attitude to have, I tell all my tech guy's if you find one thing off a small amount like .0005 don't get excited about it however since you found that go one step further than you were going to ( if not a complete tear down ) if that's ok then all good just give them a heads up have your builder check that we don't want to see it again, now if you find MULTIPLE things off .0005 that's a whole different story.

Good to see all tech guy's that posted have the right mind set to be tech guy's !!

great information available thru Dyno Dons clone tech cd he talks about being a good tech man and the quality of the tech tools needed

I know it's hard for lots of tracks, but one of the tracks I raced at in the 90's had all three local engine builders in the tech barn at once (all three were currently/previously certified tech officials and very experienced engine builders). Then there is no issues with a rouge tech guy who's getting his butt whupped.

You probably already know, but for those who don't, you can buy gauge blocks from MSC and you can check the tech guys calipers and micrometers in a flash. A one inch gauge block would come in real handy. Most micrometers sets that I've seen come with standards for checking them. You don't need standards with a one inch, but you do with a two inch and three inch. You can buy those separately also.

The next time you're in tech and he finds something wrong, just whip out your standards and check his measuring tools. Having a tool certified is fine, but I want to know what it's saying now, not when he sent it in for certification. They make ring gauges to.

When it comes to calipers, I don't want anybody checking my engine with calipers.

Back