Teching a motor

Duck is hitting on a side note that is very relevant in my opinion. As maligned as WKA and AKRA have been on this forum, their existence is necessary to our sport, if for no other reason but to properly train tech inspectors. Their "calibration stickers" should be just as up-to-date as those of their tech tools.

A properly trained, qualified, certified tech inspector may have his ability to read an instrument restricted or interfered with by vision impairment, whether serious or minor..........or even temporary.

Have you ever asked your tech inspector for (HIS) certification? Just because he has tech tools and a tech manual doesn't make him certified. Just sayin!!!!
Had a guy tell me one nite if I ever tore him down he would never come back, my response was (see ya).

Have you ever asked your tech inspector for (HIS) certification? Just because he has tech tools and a tech manual doesn't make him certified. Just sayin!!!!
Had a guy tell me one nite if I ever tore him down he would never come back, my response was (see ya).

If someone ask me for my certification my answer would be Are you a member of WKA or AKRA depending what rule you are doing

Things that makes you go hum
Did you ask or would you ask the motor builder the same questions??

Well there you go. They found out the real singer was somebody else on that song. Did your big name engine builder really build your motor or a hired hand........

Well there you go. They found out the real singer was somebody else on that song. Did your big name engine builder really build your motor or a hired hand........
Very good point, how many times do you think the sheetmetal with the builders name has been put on somebody elses motor? Decals don't make it legal either.

What is the most reliable brand of standard to buy? Starrett?

And do you need to have your standard certified or can you expect Starrett for instance, to be correct?

Good point, Paul.

What is acceptable quality of gauge to be used in tech barn? I think we all agree that HF tools leave a lot to be desired in the quality department.
Consider though, that even the cheaper brands come with a "certificate" of calibration (for what it's worth.)

This is why you want to back up all of your measurements with a second set of gauges (preferably from another tech man or the track's gauges.) Two gauges from different sources backing up the same measurement in the tech barn sure seem more definitive/convincing than a single test from a single source.

So I guess we should get our glasses calibrated as well
This is a common practice in the QA/QC world. I am required to have my near and far vision checked and certified annually. I also have to be tested to ensure I am not color blind. Your eye doctor can certify you.

I can hear it already....."You can't dq me. Your the only Techman here. There needs to be another Techman here." Yeah..sure..ok. Next?

Back