Temps

Thinking about it, I'm curious what term you would use to describe what occurs when slapper cam is used.
Controlled valve float is the term that comes to mind.
Just an observation.
When rules dictate lift and duration but not lobe profile, it is possible to use valve loft. It is particularly easy to do on a flat head there is no interference with the piston. OHV must controll the valves more accuretly. Valve loft and slapper cams are hard on valve trains but sacrifices are made.

When rules dictate lift and duration but not lobe profile, it is possible to use valve loft. It is particularly easy to do on a flat head there is no interference with the piston. OHV must controll the valves more accuretly. Valve loft and slapper cams are hard on valve trains but sacrifices are made.

Great points all.
The purpose of my posts are not to give black and white answers. I want you to realize that other things are involved in choices for any performance related gain. There is no single silver bullet. Engine builder create packages that will give customers the best balance of power and longevity. Nothing hurts builder reputation worse lack of performance other than lack of longevity. Building your own allows the use of ideas that cut corners in the compromise of more power.
Keep thinking in this manner. Gain are there to be had.

Slapper cams are available for v8 circle track engines so ohv technology exists to take advantage of this. However, overrev has severe consequence . Diligent control of spring pressures and rpm is required.

Back