Throttle lubricant

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

What do folks use for throttle lubricant? Tri Flow? Graphite? something else?

This will be for a sprint kart running on asphalt.

thanks!

Eliminate any sharp bends in the cable or housing. Especially where the cable goes into the carb or where it attaches to the pedal. Don't make the cable any longer than necessary.
I see some guys with metal outer housings (like on an old bicycle) but i feel the plastic tubing is better.
It is more slippery and the throttle cable slides through it better.
Make sure your throttle return spring is up to the task.

Do not lubricate it with any liquid. The only thing that does is gunk up the dust that gets in there and makes it stick. I leave mine dry. Run it all year, then throw it away at the end of the year and start with a fresh cable and housing.

FatOldKartDad, Here's a general reference I've used during my 40+ years of working on complex mechanical equipment.

"Lubricant in a confined environment is great for moving parts but in a non confined environment it creates grinding compound."

^ Agreed!

Even with the rubber seal on the carb end, and a "Dirt Devil" cable seal (which helps considerably) on the Kwik Link (cable) end, you will still get a small amount of dust in the throttle cable housing.
If you feel that you absolutely must use some form of lubricant, then consider dry graphite.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back