Timing Advice

Zach Weddle/W5R you will not get decimal, metric, number, or letter drills to give you a full set of jets from .036" to .042" in order to make this set of jets you would have to have reamers. If you feel you are making a set of jets in that kind of accuracy with drill bits alone, you are fooling yourself. If you were to go out and purchase the least expensive group of reamers to complete the task you will spend a minimum of $250. Plus another $100 to get the pin gauges to check them.

Guy's if you make a little chamfer on a .038 jet, it will flow a little more, the size and the angle of the chamfer probably make a difference.

Jean-Guy.

CANADA

MRG29 asks: What timing should we shooting for in:
Adult
Green Plate
Blue Plate

- not to be rude, but jet sizes and drilling them doesn't answer his question on timing.....

MRG29....I would suggest 32 decrees and then go from there....seems like a good setting to start.....

No I do not have any data but the quality, precision of the machining make a difference in the flow a jet, the entry and the exit of a jet is supposed to be sharp 90 degree, the same for the calibrating plates of a flowbench, the hole is precise with sharp edges.
Jean-Guy
CANADA

Zach Weddle/W5R you will not get decimal, metric, number, or letter drills to give you a full set of jets from .036" to .042" in order to make this set of jets you would have to have reamers. If you feel you are making a set of jets in that kind of accuracy with drill bits alone, you are fooling yourself. If you were to go out and purchase the least expensive group of reamers to complete the task you will spend a minimum of $250. Plus another $100 to get the pin gauges to check them.

I dont believe I said it was the most accurate way to do it, but its not hard to verify the size you just drilled with a pin guage , is it? At least I dont find it hard to do. Sure sometimes it will take a couple tries to get the size you want, but it can be done and is done by more people than you think

Most of the people I know do have half sizes when it comes to jets. I have all sizes from .030 up to .042 in main jets and .020 to .038 in low speed jets, which includes half sizes on the main jets from .036-.042 since those are the ones I use the most

I dont use reamers I use drill bits and a pin vice

I just wanted to know how you get all sizes between .030" and .042" including half sizes when drill bits are not manufactured in those sizes. Then to say well they are not that accurate anyway, and they are easy to check, you are making jets to an accuracy of .0005" or not, and I wondered how you are doing it without reamers.

I just wanted to know how you get all sizes between .030" and .042" including half sizes when drill bits are not manufactured in those sizes. Then to say well they are not that accurate anyway, and they are easy to check, you are making jets to an accuracy of .0005" or not, and I wondered how you are doing it without reamers.

Then I suggest you look around a little better and figure it out if it has you stumped that bad. Never amazes me how some people want to challenge almost everything another person says, not knowing hardly anything about them. What does it matter to you how I do anything? I just offer help when its something I have done before, I'm not here to argue other peoples method of doing things or question how they get there. You can get drill bits in just about any size you need. If I need a size that for some reason I can't find, I have a good friend who is an engine builder and lives not too far from me, he has made jets for me several times before using his reamers and still does from time to time. The bit sets I have came from a welding supply store, I believe they were advertised as tip cleaners for a mig welder, there were several sets to choose from and I bought them all, which included the pin vice. That gave me the bits I needed to do all of the low speed jets from .020 to .030, and the bits to do almost all of the main jets from .036-.042 except maybe one or 2 of the half sizes, which my friend had drilled for me, one was a .0375 and the other .0385 if I remember right. I'm not an idiot, when you clearly must assume I am since you keep on and on about how this or that isn't possible. If you have a pin guage set and check a jet after you drill it and that pin guage verified the jet is the size you intended it to be, is that not what matters? Surely you don't think I'm such a moron that I cannot check a jet with a pin guage? How about a little respect for once instead trying to start something rather than helping the guy out for Christ sakes.

Do you not realize that when you drill with a certain size bit, the hole is not always going to come out the same size as the bit you used, but instead is a little bigger? That is one way to get half sizes when you need them and may not have the exact size bit you think you need. But that doesn't matter to you, you use reamers right? So you can stick with your way of doing things and know it works for you, ill stick with my way and know it works for me. Results speak for themselves on the track, what is your name and what track do you race at, so I can see how you do using the info you give out on here? My name is no secret, alot of guys on here have met me or talked to me and know who I am, I consistently win races at the local tracks where I race, not "my driver" or "my kids" but me myself, even though you don't see me on here bragging about that and trying to act like I'm the best around or something. One thing that gets to me is when someone who can't even put their name in their profile decides to try and challenge what someone else says or does. Search my name on here and you can see for yourself at the results posted in the track forums how I must not know what I'm talking about, Maurice.

Your all worked up, you told me where you got your tools to get all the half sizes, mig welder tip cleaners, never knew they came in that range of sizes or accuracy. Well we old guys learn something new daily, I will hit up the welding supply company when the truck stops in next. I thought I had all the tip cleaners they sell. If you really need my personal information, I will freely send it to you by PM, but do to the profession I am involved in we are discouraged from posting personal info. As far as racing credentials and experience I can give you those also.

Don't give it. LOL

I think the reason alot of people dont fill it out is because they don't want others to be able to see their real name, you know who these people are, they usually are the ones who try to be some kind of internet tough guy and irritate alot of people but don't want to be found and have to own up to it if they step on the wrong toes.

Seems some people could over react. LOL

And nobody flow tests jets, at least I've never heard of anybody doing it.
You do now! You must have posted this before I sent you a PM on my data.

Just for an FYI:
Last week I tested drilled vs reamed jets. In short, my findings were the reamed jets were about 8% more efficient (more flow). This was based on using 3 different manufacturers of each, 50 jets (25 drilled/25 reamed). The drill bits were 1/32", which pinned out to .038 . The variance within the drill group was more than those that were reamed (meaning flow from drilling was more inconsistent/sloppy).

I tried a few combos and am currently running the stock Huayi carburetor with .021 low .035 high with a 140 E-tube. It runs great but is still rich. Black soot on the plug. I've heard that a tuned carb will plug test black... I am planning to go down to a .020 low speed idle jet and keep the .035 main with the 140 E-tube. I have also read that .018 low and .032 main with 140 E-tube will run but I have not tested how well this runs. I would imagine it would be a little more difficult to start and would have trouble idling down and backfiring through the exhaust. Bear in mind that this set up is for off track recreation use and not racing.

I tried a few combos and am currently running the stock Huayi carburetor with .021 low .035 high with a 140 E-tube. It runs great but is still rich. Black soot on the plug. I've heard that a tuned carb will plug test black... I am planning to go down to a .020 low speed idle jet and keep the .035 main with the 140 E-tube. I have also read that .018 low and .032 main with 140 E-tube will run but I have not tested how well this runs. I would imagine it would be a little more difficult to start and would have trouble idling down and backfiring through the exhaust. Bear in mind that this set up is for off track recreation use and not racing.

You may want to check the date of the last post before commenting, this thread was over a month old lol

I was aware. I just wanted to post for amatures like me who check the historical data on the site to try to learn a little or looking for some advice. I wish I could have found some comments and numbers like the ones I posted before I started. I think there are a lot of guys like me who are not tuning for racing but tuning for recreation.

Back