Tire battle

How about quit wasting good air with your old senile babbling.
Tell us how much you spend on tires a season?
How much in the last 4 seasons?
If your answer is zero, shut the hell up you have no opinion when it doesn't effect you

I have an opinion.... For the last 10-15 years we have concentrated entirely on UAS racing and our average tire bill is between $1500 and $2000 a year. We recently started dabbling in the 'Stock' classes (stock, by the rule book, what a joke) and our tire bill has skyrocketed. Whether you want to agree or not, your sanctioning bodies and their wonderful 'Have To Be Approved' mentality has got the majority of the people in the country looking for different types of racing (lawnmower, bar stool, powder puff, etc.) because it has gotten way too expensive. At the larger races, the local guy doesn't even run, because they know they are not fast enough and it too expensive for them to get to be competitive (because of the sanctioning body rules). Only the 'Big Dogs' show up and now you want to ban them and their innovative ideas. Gee, that will help karting..... Anytime you ban a product, the 'Big Dogs' now have some extra money in their budget to divert to another project that they are working on. That money doesn't just go away. Keep up the good work and both you and your buddy will be able to race forever (against each other).

When it comes right down to it all this talk about banning Kevins product seems stupid when most people agree that tire prep costs in general are whats making the average karter unhappy. It's sort of hypocritical to cry about one product while turning a blind eye to all the other tire treatments that have in general hurt the sport.

I believe the genie has been out of the bottle for quite a while. Hard to try to limit what most have agreed is largely unpoliceable.

Impounded spec tires may be an option, but it is amazing what racers can and will do when the tires are in their possession..Limiting innovation hurts the sport also.

Agree with trying to limit additional costs, but are you sure you are limiting anything? Can the benefits cut costs in other areas?
Not sure anyone posting here has that answer.

I believe the genie has been out of the bottle for quite a while. Hard to try to limit what most have agreed is largely unpoliceable.

Impounded spec tires may be an option, but it is amazing what racers can and will do when the tires are in their possession..Limiting innovation hurts the sport also.

Agree with trying to limit additional costs, but are you sure you are limiting anything? Can the benefits cut costs in other areas?
Not sure anyone posting here has that answer.

Oh I agree, 95. It's too late to do anything now short of your idea of impounded tires. This wall stiffener stuff is just an extension of the prep mayhem. Karters made the bed, now let them sleep in it.

I have an opinion.... For the last 10-15 years we have concentrated entirely on UAS racing and our average tire bill is between $1500 and $2000 a year. We recently started dabbling in the 'Stock' classes (stock, by the rule book, what a joke) and our tire bill has skyrocketed. Whether you want to agree or not, your sanctioning bodies and their wonderful 'Have To Be Approved' mentality has got the majority of the people in the country looking for different types of racing (lawnmower, bar stool, powder puff, etc.) because it has gotten way too expensive. At the larger races, the local guy doesn't even run, because they know they are not fast enough and it too expensive for them to get to be competitive (because of the sanctioning body rules). Only the 'Big Dogs' show up and now you want to ban them and their innovative ideas. Gee, that will help karting..... Anytime you ban a product, the 'Big Dogs' now have some extra money in their budget to divert to another project that they are working on. That money doesn't just go away. Keep up the good work and both you and your buddy will be able to race forever (against each other).

What the ?
Please show me where I said ban or not ban this product?
In our area a Burris rule only works, a 3 hour radius around us are Burris rule only
Check the results for the clone shootout at Dumplin valley, all Burris rule doesn't hurt us because 10 tracks locally run the same rules, and have since we started in 1998

Last edited by a moderator:
What the ?
Please show me where I said ban or not ban this product?
In our area a Burris rule only works, a 3 hour radius around us are Burris rule only
Check the results for the clone shootout at Dumplin valley, all Burris rule doesn't hurt us because 10 tracks locally run the same rules, and have since we started in 1998

Post #7 - I heard it was a fiberglass resin mixture. I saw one that was done. Hard to make it stick to rubber. The one I saw already had chunks beginning to peel off. It hurts the series that has a tire rule. No need to allow it. Where is the testing results? How long does it last before it breaks away and causes a vibration?.

Maybe you should explain what you meant by 'No need to allow it' if it doesn't mean ban it??????????????????

We ran at Dumplin Valley a couple of years ago and DIDN'T have to run Burris Tires........... In fact, we ran Vega's and got a second. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line, racers will need to support whatever rule.
Pretty easy to vote, by showing up, or not. Hope the promoters have their finger in the right pulse.
Time will tell.

I may look at this totally different. I race for a hobby. I just started last October so thanks to this site I've learned a lot. Probably asked some dumb questions but none the less...have learned from all of them. Still learning. Outside of racing I run a fairly large company. I know as far as my company goes...I look to make money anyway I can. If I can find a product that my competition doesn't have to take to my customers to make more money for me I will do it. I'm sure this stuff has been being ran for years before coming public. I don't really see how this is any different than tire prep. Years ago somebody started putting whatever on tires to make them grip, to soften, to stick on a wet track and so on....When that happen it took years for others to figure out what was going on and to figure out how to use it and then to figure out what they could mix with it to make it better. Fast forward to today there are many many guys that sell prep. Yes racing is expensive. I got into the sport laughing at how much money I was getting ready to waste. Staying true to expectations....ive wasted a lot. I'm going to go waste more this weekend. However I'm wasting in the spirit of having fun. I don't have a dog in this fight, but from a businessman perspective I don't have an issue with what Kevin is doing. From a competitor standpoint...yes it likely means somebody else with more money they want to waste is going to be faster than me because I"m not running it. So I understand that argument as well and the promoters/track operators trying to keep it away. If I could develop a product and put it in my tires to go fast and win....I'd be rolling it in them instead of typing this post. Every competitor I know looks for an advantage in any sport they are involved in. It's tire prep at the end of the day....he's just the first that has it....

As long as it is no safety issue, shouldnt and wont the market ultimately decide? Out here in asphalt sprint land we tried tire treatments as a way to get lousy tires to behave like good tires. Ultimately it did not work out. The users decided that long before the tracks had to step in. The guy that actually can get an adhesive to bond a stiff material to an elastomeric material and get it to act as a bonded composite, that lives longer than a moment should get an award just for making it work.

Post #7 - I heard it was a fiberglass resin mixture. I saw one that was done. Hard to make it stick to rubber. The one I saw already had chunks beginning to peel off. It hurts the series that has a tire rule. No need to allow it. Where is the testing results? How long does it last before it breaks away and causes a vibration?.

Maybe you should explain what you meant by 'No need to allow it' if it doesn't mean ban it??????????????????

We ran at Dumplin Valley a couple of years ago and DIDN'T have to run Burris Tires........... In fact, we ran Vega's and got a second. Now put that in your pipe and smoke it a while.
post #7 isn't me.

You run UAS no kidding you didn't run Burris at Dumplin, if you ran any other class it's Burris only

If AKRA and NKA ban it, the tracks that allow it are still going to allow it, and the ones that don't, won't.
Like I tried to point out earlier, the vast majority of tracks just use engine rules anyway

Just who's actually supposed to be banning it anyway? In 111 posts, I still haven't found out who's banned it.

As far as teching it, just let the air out of the tires and let a 250 lb. Bubba stand on each tire, if it crunches or doesn't go flat--:)

Out here in asphalt sprint land we tried tire treatments as a way to get lousy tires to behave like good tires. Ultimately it did not work out. The users decided that long before the tracks had to step in.
So, there is no tire treatment going on in sprint racing? :)

Ahhh... You might want to get your facts straight before posting. The UAS and RWYB have an open tire rule and they are the fastest growing classes in karting.

They may be in your neck of the woods, sure not around here and UAS lobbies to be part of the big shows here in central PA and just Sat like 8 show up.

My last comment on this thread and then I'm out. I am not saying that Kevin Bishop can't have his product if the Southern Boys want it more power to them. I credit Kevin for the Ingenuity that he came up with. However it just is not something we want up in this part of our racing community. However I have a concern up here for the people who don't have a lot of money and want to go to the track with their child and be able to be competitive without being forced to send their tires to one individual to get them prepped at an added cost to keep up with the Joneses. I have been to two different race tracks in a tech responsibility for two weeks in a row now and not one single person at either of those facilities have an interest in being involved in that kind of a tire program. I think it's very clear that we here in Pennsylvania do not wish to add an added cost for tires to our people who want to go out on a Friday and Saturday night and have a good time and have a chance at winning a race. As long as the people up here are asking me to not allow that in our regular shows Friday and Saturday night that is what I will continue to stand for because I represent the people in this neck of the woods. You guys can get upset with me all you want but I'm not saying that Kevin Bishop can't have his product down there with you guys if you have the money to do it have at it. There are not too many changes in the carding world that the southern people create and it ends up sliding up and our Direction and shove down our throat. Simply because it has happened and so many people have done it that now it has to be the norm or we're going to upset somebody if we change it to where it's not allowed. I'm just getting ahead of it right now because we have the right to say no to this product and that is what the people up here are requesting. Those of you who understand what I'm saying thank you those of you who don't I'm sorry

Don,
I couldn't agree with you more. I don't race as much as I use to, and I'm not going to put money into something that I feel I don't need. This is my personal opinion.
This product may have its place with big money racers, but I feel it forces the local racer in a corner,if they want to compete at a large event.
Track owners and promoters say they're want to cut the cost of racing but allow this product, is just wrong.

Back