Tires always seem to fall off early...

We have a track here selinsgrove calcium day races grips up REAL good and is fast, and slack dealers that are the best at tuning and tires here, I know for a fact there lower than 66 % cross for jr 2 & jr 3
Tell your chassis owner to call, KKP Jon
Keister, or Tony & Missy Bootes they'll confirm that, I'd lower it to 62.5 %.

Good to know! Thank you. He just had us start putting high cross in them after a long call with Nick @ Slack who told him that the more cross you can run the faster the kart will be up until a point lol. The setup sheet suggests 64-66% for the new pursuit so we went with the high side to start.

We normally ran around 64% tops on the X-pect we were on.

Tell Brian he’s racing on real dirt now, not the crap he used to race on and jr3 setup is different than his super heavy kart 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I take it you know Brian personally? lol Surprisingly we have it set up very similar to his SH kart and did the same with the X-pect. We've been fairly successful for a new team on a chassis that is unheard of down here! :) :)

I take it you know Brian personally? lol Surprisingly we have it set up very similar to his SH kart and did the same with the X-pect. We've been fairly successful for a new team on a chassis that is unheard of down here! :) :)
Yup he used to pit next to us at Ransomville when he lived up here.

Not enough internal sounds like. We only turn our motors 6400-6500 you can always drop teeth and watch the lap times.

Thanks to all of you for your input and ideas! Always genuine help from this board, I truly value all of your opinions and will let you know what we find out next time around!

Kid won Saturday from what I read ?
Yes, down at Fruitland Park (OSP). Not a big race but we'll take it. We were off most of the day and a small rain show hit just before his feature. He started in the back and drove his way up to 2nd before getting spun, got put to the rear and then did it again, passed the leader with 5 to go and checked out! Same set of tires we have been running but I put two heavy coats of Goat Pee on them just before going out because of the shower.

Curious did you tweak the set up ? Or just get enough Bite in the tires ? OR Both ?
We did not touch the setup on the kart. Earlier that day I opened up the caster split a tiny bit (from 10/12 to 8/12) but my son said he didn't like it and the kart slowed down.

I put a slightly smaller LR on to get our stagger up a bit, put on 2 heavy rounds of goat/black sand mix and dropped air way down from 6/7 to 4/5psi.

Funniest thing is the motor only turned 6100rpm that race, I had went down 2 teeth on gear after heats because the track was picking up and we were over turning the motor. Then that shower hit and the track was crap.

We did not touch the setup on the kart. Earlier that day I opened up the caster split a tiny bit (from 10/12 to 8/12) but my son said he didn't like it and the kart slowed down.

I put a slightly smaller LR on to get our stagger up a bit, put on 2 heavy rounds of goat/black sand mix and dropped air way down from 6/7 to 4/5psi.

Funniest thing is the motor only turned 6100rpm that race, I had went down 2 teeth on gear after heats because the track was picking up and we were over turning the motor. Then that shower hit and the track was crap.
What you were lacking in RPM you made more than up for with grip !!

Yes sir! Second time out in Jr3 and on this new Pursuit! We'll take a W any day!
IMG_0707.jpg

Yes, down at Fruitland Park (OSP). Not a big race but we'll take it. We were off most of the day and a small rain show hit just before his feature. He started in the back and drove his way up to 2nd before getting spun, got put to the rear and then did it again, passed the leader with 5 to go and checked out! Same set of tires we have been running but I put two heavy coats of Goat Pee on them just before going out because of the shower.
I am thinking the track finally matched the tires .

I haven't done any dirt racing, but I've been in and around karting for your, which means nothing to you, I'm sure, but I see something here. I've been on Bob's for over 10 years, I've learned a few things.

You didn't mention any stagger. You didn't mention the turn radius. You didn't mention whether all your tires, depending on the corner that they are placed on, have the same pressure, or durometer. I don't remember seeing any tread widths.

I started using the EGT when I built my first dyno in 1985. Don't leave home with out it!!

I don't know the jetting rules in your class, so it's hard for me to suggest any changes there.

Some things about jetting. Jetting and air density are closely related. What are your options?

You didn't mention the plug you are running! You didn't mention the timing! You didn't mention the fuel! You didn't mention the hour of the day you are practicing or racing! Things like afternoon practice and evening racing!

These are just some things I thought of, and I don't race on dirt, never did. I was the flag man at San Jose Speedway for a while, that's a dirt track in California.

I haven't done any dirt racing, but I've been in and around karting for your, which means nothing to you, I'm sure, but I see something here. I've been on Bob's for over 10 years, I've learned a few things.

You didn't mention any stagger. You didn't mention the turn radius. You didn't mention whether all your tires, depending on the corner that they are placed on, have the same pressure, or durometer. I don't remember seeing any tread widths.

I started using the EGT when I built my first dyno in 1985. Don't leave home with out it!!

I don't know the jetting rules in your class, so it's hard for me to suggest any changes there.

Some things about jetting. Jetting and air density are closely related. What are your options?

You didn't mention the plug you are running! You didn't mention the timing! You didn't mention the fuel! You didn't mention the hour of the day you are practicing or racing! Things like afternoon practice and evening racing!

These are just some things I thought of, and I don't race on dirt, never did. I was the flag man at San Jose Speedway for a while, that's a dirt track in California.
Al- I'm just going to say it was all in the tires and has been for awhile. The motor is fine, jetted correctly with the correct plug and dyno tuned by the builder to peak HP/TQ. When we get the tires right, it flies, when we miss the tires its slow. Plain and simple. ;)

Al- I'm just going to say it was all in the tires and has been for awhile. The motor is fine, jetted correctly with the correct plug and dyno tuned by the builder to peak HP/TQ. When we get the tires right, it flies, when we miss the tires its slow. Plain and simple. ;)
" Yes " and the fact your no longer turning it 6700 + even though 6100 is a little low !!

Back