Today is Vietnam Veteran’s Day

44 years for me. The thing is I either forgot about this day as Our Day or no one seems interested enough to make it known what day it is on a National level as a reminder. But I/we should be used to that. Speaking of which, has anyone besides me seen the "absent from school on Veterans Days excuse sent along with his daughter the day after 11/11/2013"?

Goes something like this; "Please excuse ...... .... from being absent from school because of Veterans Day. She will go school on Veterans Day when kids go to school on Martin Luther King Day. Sgt .... .... USA RVN 67-68

This year on the 5th of August it will be 50 years since I landed at Tan-Sa-Nhut to patrol the Gulf of Tonkin in a Navy P2V-7. -- Chuck

44 years for me. The thing is I either forgot about this day as Our Day or no one seems interested enough to make it known what day it is on a National level as a reminder. But I/we should be used to that. Speaking of which, has anyone besides me seen the "absent from school on Veterans Days excuse sent along with his daughter the day after 11/11/2013"?

Goes something like this; "Please excuse ...... .... from being absent from school because of Veterans Day. She will go school on Veterans Day when kids go to school on Martin Luther King Day. Sgt .... .... USA RVN 67-68
That is sad. I didn't hear anything on the morning news today.
I would like to thank all the members of Bobs that served and I would like to thank a local hero who laid over in Vietnam for 43 years before he was brought home. R.I.P Major Bruce Lawrence.

Thank you to all the veterans who have given so much. It is sad that it has taken so long to acknowledge, with a special day, those that served during the Vietnam conflict. God bless you

All that most of us wanted to do was to come home to our families, and to be treated like we did something that mattered, however, that wasn't the case. We thought we were doing the right thing for our country, and most were proud to be soldiers. But our country turned their backs on us and treated us like we were the enemy. We were kids, 17-18 and 19 years old who grew up fast in those few years, and over 58,000 didn't get to grow up at all. I was almost one of those 58,000. Now, when someone says to me, "thank you for fighting for your country"....I say, "the only thing I fought for was my life!" Through all of that, I still think this is the greatest country on the planet.! God bless our soldiers and God Bless America.

Thanks to ALL who made sacrifices.

I wish that these days, that are meant to recognize the people would get their deserved attention.

This Thursday, April 3rd, will mark the 45 year anniversary of my setting foot in Cam Ranh Bay. Eleven months and 27 days later, as a civilian having been discharged earlier that day, I returned to shouting and spitting as I retrieved my duffle bag while wearing my uniform (only clothes I had). My wife and her friend had to endure this as they met me at the airport. Even though we had been warned of these activities, I was sorely disappointed in my fellow Americans and will always remember that as though it was yesterday. I can see their faces. I was then as I am now, neither embarrassed not ashamed of my service to my country and will fight for her again.

Richard

I wasn't able to join the military because of health problems but some of my family served. I had a really close friend that lived in TN that was in Vietnam and he was shot 13 times. It was an honor to know him. He was a great man little bit crazy at times but would give you the shirt off his back. Thank you everyone that served or is still serving for all that you have done for this country.

Frankie

Back