ultrasonic cleaner

jake17j

Just bought one was wondering who else uses them and what they use for solution. Plan to use it for chain and bearings

I tried it tonight on momma's rings with vinegar and water . Did a pretty good job , good thing too I got the "did you really need that " speech when I got home but it's funny how spending money becomes alright when you make her stuff look bright and shiny again lol. thanks for the tips guys I have been doing the overnight soak in wd for years so maybe I'll stick with that first

Be careful with mom as rings. Some stones don't like certain cleaners and the ultrasonic vibrations. Wouldn't be too good to take one out of the solution and it be cracked in half. Check with your favorite jeweler. Mine warned me once long ago!

i have been using wd-40 for a while now. works great on brass and aluminum. i wouldnt use it on anything you dont want any types of oil on obviously. thats the biggest limiting factor of it.

I have one that holds 25 gals of liquid what I use is cascade dish washing powder and water. just be sure to remove and oil your parts when done. This works great for blocks and carbs removes all the grease an leaves a nice shine on surface. good luck to you

I bought a 2 liter heated one off ebay for less than $100 to clean my carburetors with. Tried all sorts of cleaning agents and found Simple Green, the blue industrial kind, mixed with water at 2:1 worked best. Made my carbs bright and shiny and ultra clean.

You can get the Simple Green in one gallon size at Home Depot.

How big of a cleaner are you guys using? I'm looking into getting one. TIA.

I have the one from Harbor Freight. They have it listed for $84, but you can find the 20% off coupon and get it for under $70. It works great. I've just been using it to clean chains and bearings. I've used WD40 and it works great, but lately I've been using Simple Green and it works great, too. WD40 probably works better for chains and bearings just because you don't have to worry about getting the water out. Here's a link to the one I have...

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

One thing not to do... I got the bright idea one day to use acetone. It worked fine, until I wondered what that white milky stuff was. Unfortunately the basket you put the parts in that came with the cleaner was made of plastic. I found out that bearings don't roll very well when coated in melted plastic! Brilliant... right! :)

Back