Vega problems?

Emc2

Anyone have tires that look like this after surfacing them? R/S only. What’s going on? Any suggestions to how to remedy this? Used 120 grit with a belt sander. 10 lbs of air while surfacing. Not cut. Brand new tires, never raced, newly mounted.

Attachments

• IMG_5579.jpeg
    IMG_5579.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 138
This isn’t the first time I’ve worked tires. Just Vega. This is another tire . L/R.

Attachments

• IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 79
Have you sized it? How long has it been mounted? Could be from packaging. May could heat it and get it back true
I'm leaning the same way, how long had it been mounted? Air it up to 34.5 or 35 if you need to make it stagger correctly, let it sit and stretch, then drop the air and surface it again if everything checks out.

No problem with packaging. Mounted 3/27. Surfaced Tuesday 4/2/24. Sized up well. 12 r/s and all were 33 7/8. Guess no one has seen this happen. I’ve never had it happen but we’ve only ran Burris. I was thinking of airing up a little more

No problem with packaging. Mounted 3/27. Surfaced Tuesday 4/2/24. Sized up well. 12 r/s and all were 33 7/8. Guess no one has seen this happen. I’ve never had it happen but we’ve only ran Burris. I was thinking of airing up a little more
A lot of times Ive seen vegas that are folded, etc for storage/shipping purposes.

I'm guessing that your adjustable band is not round, maybe run down too tight when mounting?
Vegas typically come out too big, not too small, which is kinda making me think you had the band too small when mounting as well.

We cut almost all Vegas here in the shop, and I've not seen anything that out of round from the factory. Vegas are very consistent, but then again I am using Jones and Core tire mounting rings on them.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thst must be what the line /crease is on the tire. I did have one that wouldn't bead up. Really cranked it down but never seen this happen. What size are the r/s tire rings?

Cranking the band down has likely caused your problem. ^ Depends on the thickness of the material used. My Jones ring is considerably thicker steel so it's larger than my Core ring. You want your tires to mount up at 34" right sides."

Ive mounted tires in a tire band my whole racing career. Theres nothing wrong with using a band. How bad is the tire out of round? Not to question your sanding skills but the tire looks like it is sanded really lite in that spot even on the edges. If never sanded with a belt sander so I really dont know why this would happen.

I’m gonna get it warm, cool it down and resurface it when I get a chance and see what happens. It’s most likely from the band, like Carlson said. If it doesn’t work I’ll try another way or recycle it.

Tightness vs roundness .
No matter how tight , it needs too be round .
Generally where the clamping action is . That's where the flat spot is .

Back