Vega problems?

I can tell you from experience, all the Vega I ever mounted, I had to tighten the band as tight as I could. I have never gotten Vega to mount in a ring the first time ever, and sometimes even flipping them a ring won't be enough.

Vega are the reason I still own a tire band. I've had some that absolutely looked terrible in the band, and came out fine. I've never seen one do that. It's odd, but can you show pictures from the side? Is the tire dipped in? it just looks like it didn't sand in that that area. I'm pretty confused on this one.

You can mount Vegas just fine in a Jones ring...we do it almost on a daily basis. The tire needs to be warm though. Don't try mounting them in the cooler months if you don't heat your shop/garage all that well. Turn the heater on in your garage, take the tires inside for an hour, or lay them out in the sun if needed to warm them up, and they'll mount just fine. High pressure - absolutely, but they'll bead right out. Sometimes I've had to use a heat gun on certain sizes (ie 6.00 on 8 3/4" wheel) if it didn't bead right out.
Couple other notes: Use good mounting lubricant (I just use our Green Apple Clean tire cleaner, but dish soap will work too.) Remove the valve core before clipping on the air chuck with a remote disconnect (6' whip works well.)

I'm still saying the "dip" or damage is caused by an out of round or over-tightening an adjustable band.
I'm curious if the tire will naturally come back round for your though. If it was sanded immediately after mounting could amplify the problem. I've got to wonder if it has rebounded and is more round currently (enough so that it will finish correctly.)

I can tell you from experience, all the Vega I ever mounted, I had to tighten the band as tight as I could. I have never gotten Vega to mount in a ring the first time ever, and sometimes even flipping them a ring won't be enough.

Vega are the reason I still own a tire band. I've had some that absolutely looked terrible in the band, and came out fine. I've never seen one do that. It's odd, but can you show pictures from the side? Is the tire dipped in? it just looks like it didn't sand in that that area. I'm pretty confused on this one.
It’s wierd I know. That’s just it . It didn’t surface properly in that spot. It’s a problem with the tire that’s causing the issue. Most likely I caused it.

They were surfaced 5 days after I mounted them. I use good tire mounting lube. It’s usually 50 in my shop. They were stored on the concrete floor. I’ll check it tonight. Let it warm up in shop. Set it out in sun a little and try again. Is 10 lbs a good air pressure to surface at?

I generally refinish at race pressures, but there should be no problem refinishing at 10psi.
I've seen another brand (not Vega) stretch/break the webbing inside the tire when trying to stretch a tire to size it....that caused a similar out of round condition.
Put it at 10psi and set it out in the sun (you won't see any for the next couple days here in the midwest.) You could also try warming just that spot with a heat gun and see if that pulls it back out.

Warmed it up and most of it came out.
When you surface these Vegas should you go until you take off that center ring that’s there when they’re new? Maybe I’m going to fast through the center of the tire? When you make a pass over the tire how long should it take to go across once?

When you surface these Vegas should you go until you take off that center ring that’s there when they’re new? Maybe I’m going to fast through the center of the tire? When you make a pass over the tire how long should it take to go across once?
No the entire tire does not have to look the same all the way across , If there's a little strip in the center where the glaze is more apparent that's fine , It will eventually take care of itself on track , maybe even as early as the first run when you " SCUFF " them in .

I try to make them as uniform as possible all the way across. With Vegas, you need to work quickly. Light pressure and plenty of coolant. The natural gum rubber in them will get sticky on you if you get them too warm while refinishing. A few seconds across each way...you'll get a feel for it the more you do them. FWIW, I rarely "scuff" Vegas. Generally we're on them when we need a fresh soft/sticky tire for low/no bite track surfaces. Exceptions might be if we're trying to cure up a set for use on a harder track or on pavement.

Back