Vega's on dirt

IMG_20240410_145400389.jpg

Is this typically what a vega yellow looks like after about 30 laps on dirt or did I have them 2 soft? 1st time I've ever ran vega's

Before answering I'd be curious to know the track condition at the time you ran them those 30 laps , Plus what the kart felt like ? where that tire was positioned on the kart ? and if you felt the tire with your hand and was there any heat difference even if very slight , If tire was wiped with prep with what and how much ?
What I see from that tire is track conditions when run were more on the dry side, lacking Grip , Air at least .75 lb to much, tire slid to much which is why it's Fuzzed across the entire tire , IF you or anyone felt the tire it felt cold . Your run wasn't terrible how ever you were lacking speed depending on kart count say there was 6 entries you ended up maybe 3 depending on competition lever , If it was at a bigger event stiffer competition say 18 entries you were mid pack .
Anything sound familiar !!

Before answering I'd be curious to know the track condition at the time you ran them those 30 laps , Plus what the kart felt like ? where that tire was positioned on the kart ? and if you felt the tire with your hand and was there any heat difference even if very slight , If tire was wiped with prep with what and how much ?
What I see from that tire is track conditions when run were more on the dry side, lacking Grip , Air at least .75 lb to much, tire slid to much which is why it's Fuzzed across the entire tire , IF you or anyone felt the tire it felt cold . Your run wasn't terrible how ever you were lacking speed depending on kart count say there was 6 entries you ended up maybe 3 depending on competition lever , If it was at a bigger event stiffer competition say 18 entries you were mid pack .
Anything sound familiar !!
Track was definitely dry and was on the slick side! No calcium 🤦🏼‍♂️kart felt good just lacking a little bite it seemed! That was 1 of the right side tires both looked like that and left rear was not quite as bad but still fuzzed up all way across! I wiped goat and bubba's nite bite 50/50 3 times and let dry then burn in 1 was punching 28-30 and was probably to much air also 4.8&5.8 was trying to find a little more roll speed! Didn't think to feel of the tires when came off track so don't know about heat build up and you nailed it on not terrible and mid pack, was 15 and ran 8th could've did a little better had I been a little more up on the wheel but was my 1st time at the track and wasn't trying to make any enemies lol! So yes about all of that sounds familiar!!

Track was definitely dry and was on the slick side! No calcium 🤦🏼‍♂️kart felt good just lacking a little bite it seemed! That was 1 of the right side tires both looked like that and left rear was not quite as bad but still fuzzed up all way across! I wiped goat and bubba's nite bite 50/50 3 times and let dry then burn in 1 was punching 28-30 and was probably to much air also 4.8&5.8 was trying to find a little more roll speed! Didn't think to feel of the tires when came off track so don't know about heat build up and you nailed it on not terrible and mid pack, was 15 and ran 8th could've did a little better had I been a little more up on the wheel but was my 1st time at the track and wasn't trying to make any enemies lol! So yes about all of that sounds familiar!!
A couple things to point out that may help shorten the learning curve going forward, provided it wasn't way out of the norm for the track to go dry and is predictable , Goat as part of the mix was a poor choice as goat and dry just doesn't mix well , even though i know nothing about bubba's nite bite the nite part tells me good chance more for moist condition , then add for those conditions 90 % of the time your better off wiping during the week NOT trackside , because once the surface is what i describe as racing to dirty , wiping trackside is a No No , only because I've had good results wiping Topaz and Black sand during the week , I'd suggest that mix . or I think I've read Carlson's Monster Bite during the week works well for dry conditions , Brian can confirm tomorrow when he see's this, and Brian will give you great advise, plus I'm sure Earl at So Co Tire Treatments would have a mix as well, Again Earl can confirm when he see's this , And He'll see this before Brian because he's up before the Roosters, and you can take Earl's advice to the bank consider it gospel as well. Now reminder on Air and Roll speed you cannot just decide your going more air and it automatically = roll speed , plus if you end up missing air by .5 lb you want to miss it low not high , because if it slides and for sure your tires were sliding on top , there is nothing to over come that including roll speed , plus for those conditions 1/2 lb split would have been a much better choice, 4.3 lefts and 4.8 right even with poor choice of prep and wiping track side probably would have gotten ya 3 more positions, if a different set of tires is in your arsenal i'd adjust accordingly , take the set you raced out of circulation for at least 2 weeks , refinish wipe during the week black sand only 2 weeks out say 6 times , then week of the race whichever mix you choose wipe not more than twice most likely one way for the next time you try that set will be enough , since the goat is already in the tires.
Good Luck !!

im guessing this is yellow vegas, try some white maxxis, prep them for bite, they wont need to be as low of duro as the vega and i think you would be ok, or even some white vegas, i know around home in louisiana when most are on vegas of white anything , we are on pink and blues prepped right, we are faster due to the roll speed and not so much bite to kill the corner speed, we get them to about 48 duro and we rollin

My first guess is that you're simply too aggressive with prep for the track surface you were on.
I'd also say that it "appears" that you were too soft on duro for the track surface.
I would agree that you were too high on air as well -- but not knowing the track size, class, etc, that's just a guess.
Goat and dry are not normal conditions seen together (especially with Vegas.)

I like some internal in Vegas to keep the oil pulling to the surface of the tire as it heats up, and so it doesn't dry out like a pencil eraser.
2 ounces of Pink Panther in the right sides, 1 ounce in the lefts.
Then get the duro where you want it with Monster Bite.
Use our Black Bite 2.0 early in the week to add bite to the tires. More coats = more bite.
Pretty simple program and our Vega tire and prep program has seen tremendous success for several years now.

Give us a call if there's ANYTHING we can help you with.
I'm cutting and prepping Vegas all day today and tomorrow in the shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

My first guess is that you're simply too aggressive with prep for the track surface you were on.
I'd also say that it "appears" that you were too soft on duro for the track surface.
I would agree that you were too high on air as well -- but not knowing the track size, class, etc, that's just a guess.

I like some internal in Vegas to keep the oil pulling to the surface of the tire as it heats up, and so it doesn't dry out like a pencil eraser.
Use our Black Bite 2.0 early in the week to add bite to the tires. More coats = more bite.
Pretty simple program and our Vega tire and prep program has seen tremendous success for several years now.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Curious why being to high on air would be a guess , not knowing track size , class , etc, I get it would help knowing those details for a more in general idea without seeing the tires , but there is a picture of the one tire , plus confirmation the other right side looker pretty much identical, and the LR slightly less Fuzzed but all the way across the tire .

Curious why being to high on air would be a guess , not knowing track size , class , etc, I get it would help knowing those details for a more in general idea without seeing the tires , but there is a picture of the one tire , plus confirmation the other right side looker pretty much identical, and the LR slightly less Fuzzed but all the way across the tire .
Vegas have a stiff sidewall and typically run lower psi with stockers. That's why I specifically said without knowing track size that it's just a guess. Where Vegas are typically fastest is on smaller low/no bite tracks. If you are trying to run them on big momentum tracks, generally there will be something better (usually Maxxis or even Hoosiers.) If you are forced to run Vega Yellows on big tracks, you can cut/work them to be better on bigger tracks to keep the spring rate up and get more roll speed out of them with increased psi.

Vegas have a stiff sidewall and typically run lower psi with stockers. That's why I specifically said without knowing track size that it's just a guess. Where Vegas are typically fastest is on smaller low/no bite tracks. If you are trying to run them on big momentum tracks, generally there will be something better (usually Maxxis or even Hoosiers.) If you are forced to run Vega Yellows on big tracks, you can cut/work them to be better on bigger tracks to keep the spring rate up and get more roll speed out of them with increased psi.
I had a set of pink and blue soaks that were 21 date codes I tried in practice and they were pretty much identical on lap times

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.youtube.com
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I rolled 90cc in rights and 60 in lf rear and 45 in lf front of bubba's karting concepts internal in the Vega's and didn't have time to prep until track side I just got them mounted on Wednesday and rolled half that night and the other half Thursday night so was trying to bring duro down as fast as I could because the others I talked to said they had theirs in the mid 20's range and were running good

Got ya I thought maybe I was missing something , always trying to learn myself !!

I rolled 90cc in rights and 60 in lf rear and 45 in lf front of bubba's karting concepts internal in the Vega's and didn't have time to prep until track side I just got them mounted on Wednesday and rolled half that night and the other half Thursday night so was trying to bring duro down as fast as I could because the others I talked to said they had theirs in the mid 20's range and were running good
And they were probably giving you accurate Info , Just not full details they didn't do it all at the track , and didn't use goat , plus tell you there air pressures . The tire you show picture of was NOT to soft .

I thought vegas were considered soft sidewalls. In respect to maxxis anyways

Back