Vortex 2 disc clutch?

My son is running a 206 box stock. We are using a Greased Lightening clutch now and it's a good clutch no problems with it but it's getting hard to find parts for it. Been looking at a Vortex 2 disc. What do your guys think of them? How do they perform? Are they easy to tune?

They let you use disc clutches on a LO206?

Love our vortex stuff, we use the 2 disc vortex on dirt clone and the rocket rim on asphalt LO206

Last edited:
The Vortex clutches are really easy to change and maintain. The black uses standard drivers and the red you have to use special drivers.

I've you a vortex 2 disk on at 206 in a 425 weight class. I wouldn't use anything else. This clutch doesn't have that hard lock up,that drops your rpms, but instead it just pulls.
They're not only easy to adjust, clean and maintain, the best thing I like about them is no air gap and trying to get several springs the same exact height.
You cant go wrong. Call SMC and you can talk to the owner. He's a wealth of knowledge.

I've you a vortex 2 disk on at 206 in a 425 weight class. I wouldn't use anything else. This clutch doesn't have that hard lock up,that drops your rpms, but instead it just pulls.
They're not only easy to adjust, clean and maintain, the best thing I like about them is no air gap and trying to get several springs the same exact height.
You cant go wrong. Call SMC and you can talk to the owner. He's a wealth of knowledge.
Our minimum weight is 239lb we weigh about 245 race ready. The only issue I have with running a Vortex is no one here runs one. So I will be on my own as far as tuning goes. But that's also one reason I'm interested in running a Vortex.

Our minimum weight is 239lb we weigh about 245 race ready. The only issue I have with running a Vortex is no one here runs one. So I will be on my own as far as tuning goes. But that's also one reason I'm interested in running a Vortex.
If you call SMC they will tell you which color springs either black or silver and how to set them.
Then set and go.

I have 3 blacks with rollers, we’ve ran bully in the past, Vortex way easier to tune, do maintenance on and a 5yr old can rebuild it.

1578534647201.png

I have 3 blacks with rollers, we’ve ran bully in the past, Vortex way easier to tune, do maintenance on and a 5yr old can rebuild it.
How are you telling when they need rebuilt? I read the website and its hard for me to believe guys are just looking at them and seeing they are glazed and replacing them. I've been a bully guy and pulling shims out and measuring discs for a couple years. Just got these with a car we picked up

How are you telling when they need rebuilt? I read the website and its hard for me to believe guys are just looking at them and seeing they are glazed and replacing them. I've been a bully guy and pulling shims out and measuring discs for a couple years. Just got these with a car we picked up
I take them apart and clean every race, rebuild every 15 races.

And here i was thinking i was over achieving taking it off blowing it out and measuring air gap every weekend adjusting/wire brushing when needed. LOL
Although it's probably good practices (be safe) to do all this maintenance, I never found it to be all that necessary. If your disk clutch is slipping, on the starts, to what you think is best, there's nothing wrong with it. If it starts to slip at an RPM higher than you would like, adjusted it. Test it in the pits! That spring height number they give you is only a starting point. Adjusted, higher or lower, to suit!

Observation, from race to race, will tell you when it's time for clutch maintenance. You might find that you can trust the clutch to perform adequately for long periods. Only experience will tell you how long those periods should be.

Nothing wrong with being safe, i.e. weekly maintenance, but I think you'll find it's not all that necessary.

Although it's probably good practices (be safe) to do all this maintenance, I never found it to be all that necessary. If your disk clutch is slipping, on the starts, to what you think is best, there's nothing wrong with it. If it starts to slip at an RPM higher than you would like, adjusted it. Test it in the pits! That spring height number they give you is only a starting point. Adjusted, higher or lower, to suit!

Observation, from race to race, will tell you when it's time for clutch maintenance. You might find that you can trust the clutch to perform adequately for long periods. Only experience will tell you how long those periods should be.

Nothing wrong with being safe, i.e. weekly maintenance, but I think you'll find it's not all that necessary.
8 and 10yrs dont give me great feedback about clutch lock up. I'm just glad the 8yr old understands now we gotta get it completely locked up not just reving it and going the speed we want. Thats probably the reason i started taking it off weekly and checking air gap on the bully's. I guess i dont take them apart for fear of getting a disc or floater put back in backwards and causing more damage, dad made a mistake... once

Back