vortex vr95

ttownwideglider

Just wondering if parts are still easy to get for these engines. dont know much about them just heard they will scream for a 100cc rotary and can be opened up to a 112cc. Looking to make a little 1/8 mile screamer for low $. Any help appreciated Thanks Mitch

Have had no problem getting parts for mine, IAME. Have 1 Aircooled and 2 watercooled (REED). I have had to swap crank halves, rods, pistons etc. and used Parilla Reedjet parts.

How bout some info on this engine guys. Fellow is just up the road thats got it and can get a good deal. What kinda mods can be done to squeeze a few more ponies out of it? Dont know much bout rotary valves an I getting into hornet nest here? I know reeds and thier pretty simple never jacked with a valve set up. Help me out with some feedback. Thanks

Rotary valves are the most efficient 2 stroke in my opinion. People don't mess with them because they make them complicated and parts for most are difficult to find.

Frankie

They used to be.........
But when modern pipe design started allowing the reeds to actually open on the piston down stroke, the rotaries took the back seat to the reeds.
Unfortunately, there has been ZERO development in variable valve timing drives for the rotaries, which would probably put them back on top.

ricmcdad says that Iame cranks,pistons,rods,i assume brgs and some gaskets may work. Is there anyone that can tell me where to get some more info on these engines. Dont want to buy something I cant rebuild and race.

Just wondering if parts are still easy to get for these engines. dont know much about them just heard they will scream for a 100cc rotary and can be opened up to a 112cc. Looking to make a little 1/8 mile screamer for low $. Any help appreciated Thanks Mitch

They are awesome engines, but building and maintaining them properly is not cheap. I think Dennis's engine is a great deal, but once you overhaul it and upgrade it (assuming you want to go oversize) and so on, it will not be cheap.

I have a pipe on my K30 that was made for it. A friend used the software to design the pipe I'm using. But you are right all the pipes out there were designed for reed engines.

Frankie

On sprint asphalt tracks I use the same pipe on my direct drive rotary valve Ital that I used before on some reeds and it works pretty good. That engi ne is a deal and should be a fun one to have at that price. Only reaspn I didn´t get it at that price is I don´t have much room and even less money right now, but even just for parts it should be a steal.

VR95 is a very well engineered motor. Most moving parts across 100cc motors from that era crossover and you can use IAME stuff for pistons, rods and so on. Not sure what size the disc is in the 95, I have a 98. kartsandparts.ca have some VR95 bits as well as koene in the netherlands. It won't disappoint especially if you are getting a good deal on it.

Hey Radial can you fill me in a bit more on the valve operation. How is it driven,does it rotate or accutate back and forth? How complicated is it to set up the valve timing. Are there different size valves with larger orafices to change volumn of a/f charge? How many ccs can they be bored to? Whats the stock compression? Do they have 1 7/8 header? Never been in a rotary valve 2stroke before know reeds and piston ports,these are a new critter to me. But i have heard on alky in a open configuration they will eat a reed jet up. Are these engines mainly roadcorse style low torque high rpm and horsepower setups? Was thinking about using it on a 1/8 mile dirt track and want something that can produce some low end grunt.

In theory the reeds seem to be better on twisty tracks and the rotary valve versions when run at top performance, which means up to 21,000 rpms on direct drive configuration, are very fast on long straights, though that means replacing a piston basically like at least every day you run it. On dirt it is a different story. They made different valves for different tracks, and some engines were ready to take bigger carbs for the old FIA/CIK Super A class while some just had an intake for a smaller 24mm carb, run in the Formula A class. To run in this class in Europe it was required to have experience and even have won at least some National Championship in many cases, which means that many of these engines were top factory rides were prepared by the best builders, like Faluga in Spain, for example. When FIA/CIK moved to water cooled engines the evolution of rotary valves basically froze, and reeds kept improving and actually became faster and more powerful than previous rotaries. In fact seems like many of the rotary valve designs by rotax were copied by other brands. Certain particular Rotax models were weaker than other contemporary engines, as they came from the factory, but I heard these issues were solved by changing rods and pistons.

Its literally a cut out disk of metal (or CF) thats driven by a nut on the crankshaft. It covers/uncovers the inlet along with crank rotation. Originally they (like nearly all 100cc's) were designed in the factory to be used on asphalt road courses in with a direct drive, no clutch setup. Of course lots have been adapted to oval use in the US.
You could play with disc cutout shapes to make it a torque monster if you like.....

carbon-RV.jpg

I recon with the short straights you guys have on the ovals, along with clutches you could set disc valve motor to kill. No reed fluttering or getting in the way, once the disk opens the inlet port is WIIIDE open asking for charge :)

The first kart I ever drove was a Parilla TT36 HK Revenge on a Swiss Hutless. Nothing I've driven since compares, but the ICA's were close. I'd buy it on principle, and I don't even have a sprint frame now.

The first kart I ever drove was a Parilla TT36 HK Revenge on a Swiss Hutless. Nothing I've driven since compares, but the ICA's were close. I'd buy it on principle, and I don't even have a sprint frame now.

That´s because you never started the rotary Ital you bought like mine, Ted, lol.

The rotaries went away right after Italsistem introduced a Front mounted rotary valve engine, ( this engine dominated for a while ) the powers that make the rules, just made the classes reed valve only. The rotary valve engines do compete well with reed engines just depends on the tuner/driver both have their advantages. I would take a K30 over a K35 everyday all things considered, I think a rotary responds better to big carbs if properly tuned.

Back