What cam is this?

karting62

I was told my motor has a .308 cam in it. This is what I pulled out of the motor. From bottom of lobe to the top is 1.09 and side to side it .86, if I am not mistaking this is only .230 lift. Is this pretty much a stock cam?

Last edited:
well dang, I guess I got burnt on that deal, I just ordered a 28mm Mikink slide carb set up on methanol. Do y’all think I would be able to run that carb with this cam? Also what’s weird is I ran this motor last weekend and it still turned 7600 rpm.

Thanks for the reply Don, to be honest with you I am fairly new to working on these engines. I am not sure how to do a lift check.

One more question, when I took the cam out I noticed the timing marks on the crank and cam didn’t line up exactly. Is there a reason for this?

? I didn't have a cutoff wheel so I used my chainsaw.
that's not the way the marks should line up , could have moved while you were removing the side cover.
Or it was put together that way.

I think it was put together that way, I was very careful removing the side cover. Would there be any particular reason someone would put it together with the marks off one tooth. The engine has a 35 degree flywheel on it if that makes any difference.

Any number of things could explain it .
Crank gear turned
Purposely or error.
If everything is correct and I'm not mistaken its retarded 7.5 degrees on face value.

well dang, I guess I got burnt on that deal, I just ordered a 28mm Mikink slide carb set up on methanol. Do y’all think I would be able to run that carb with this cam? Also what’s weird is I ran this motor last weekend and it still turned 7600 rpm.
are you telling us you turned that rpm before you noticed the cam and crank gear off 1 tooth? Also, what carb were you using for that rpm? I honestly dont think the engine will run a tooth off

If the crank gear turned the marks will still line up, the engine will not run in any fashion resembling correct if the cam is installed 1 tooth out in either direction. Notice how I worded that yes there is a possibility it may kick, bark burp or groan but it will not pull you around a track. the cam moved when you took the cover off that is the only way.

Back