What do racers want?

Lucky 13

I’m looking for opinions, and everyone has one. If a guy was to start an annual race, what would attract a good field? What makes you go to your favorite race?
Is it the purse? A cool trophy? The track itself?
Appreciate the input.

The track and the Money.

My local track just had their mid season "Summer Sizzler". 12 karts is a full class that pays $100 to win.

We had 174 show up, with 31 for Clone 350. They started 14 and paid all the way through with $175 to the winner.

On a week to week basis we have consistently 110 to 120 karts. The show is run very professionally. The facility is top notch. The track is fantastic, and most nights develops just enough character to be fast and fun. They have good food, and they dont charge an arm and a leg to get in. Its $12 pit passes, and $15 per kart entry.

I'd race there just for the great track, but I know a lot of guys dont care about trophies, they want their $30 for 3rd or 4th.

We go to some of these shows and pay a premium for parking, and big entry fees, but we race against the same people.
I would like to draw the local racers too. Not asking for people to drive ten hours, although they are welcome too.
Just looking for fresh ideas. to go along with some of the things others are doing.

I’m looking for opinions, and everyone has one. If a guy was to start an annual race, what would attract a good field? What makes you go to your favorite race?
Is it the purse? A cool trophy? The track itself?
Appreciate the input.

if you have sponsors, money in your pocket and incentive for it to be a great kart race, no registration up front, $100 tow money or more and good start money would do it well. ... :)

100+ tow and 300+ to start will bring in a whole lot more racers then 10,000 to win.

with the above, the purse on top would not matter and you'll get a ton of racers.

We go to some of these shows and pay a premium for parking, and big entry fees, but we race against the same people.
I would like to draw the local racers too. Not asking for people to drive ten hours, although they are welcome too.
Just looking for fresh ideas. to go along with some of the things others are doing.
Personally, I'm probably not going to drive more than 2 or 3 hours to a race, and certainly not that far every week. Its just too much time for my schedule.

I also struggle with the idea that I might would be in $100 for a weekend before I've opened the trailer, let alone breaking something. I know I'm spoiled with my local track, but I can have two karts, myself, and 3 pit helpers for under $70. That makes it easier to do the things I do. Now with that said, if it was a race that paid... I dont know $300-$1000 to win, $75-$150 to start, I might would make the journey a little longer and pay more at the gate. I also realize that isnt a successful business model for a track.

With all this said, I'm begging my local track to go to a reasonable $100 a year to save your parking spot. I'm a little tired of getting to the track 4 hours before the races start just to get the pit spot I like.

Absolutely every track needs every racer that supports them all season long! The old $1,000.00 to win, winner takes all does nothing for the local racer. Someone will come in take the money, and go home.
Is it enough to have pro and no pro classes?

I want a true half day show that starts practice on time, only has 1 session per class, starts heats 2 hours from gate open, and features 2.5 hrs after that. Half hour intermission between heats and features so we can joke, eat, and get ready, and gets me back out the gate by 11pm. Trim classes and run a tight ship, and use black flags. Pay, or don't, but stop gouging the racers with all kinds of gate fees, parking fees, whatever fees -- if you need more money, charge more entry. I don't need my grandma gouged to come see my kids race. Quality bathrooms. Running water. Lights that angle forward so the drivers aren't blinded, and photographers get good shots. Transponder scoring. A PA system that's broadcast on low power FM, or else loud enough to hear. A terraced hillside instead of metal bleachers to fall off... Hey, all that.....yeah, I'd go there. I'd race for the joy of it alone at a place like that.

We travel to different tracks whenever possible to race against different competition. Our closest track we hit every week is an hour away. Others are 2 to 3 hours away. The things that keep us coming back to the local track... it is $50 a year to reserve a pit stall, but is not required. A yearly membership of $50 gives us voting rights to any changes made at the track and gets us into the payout and trophy’s at the end of the year. It is $20 to enter to race, that is the entry fee and pit pass for the driver. It is $20 each for pit passes. No hot passes no extra fees just entry. The payout is not huge, I think $100 for first, $75 second and down. Even last place usually gets $15 or $20 so we get the entry fee back most of the time. By keeping the purse low it keeps the race friendly. We rarely have any fights or arguments and that comes from racers from out if the area most of the time. It is very laid back. Races move quick, not much delay between races. We are not over run with rules, just NKA and a few local track rules. Classes are kept to a minimum. Most of the rules are voted on at a yearly meeting.
what we look for is a well run program with friendly track workers and racers. Payout is nice but it brings with it a lot if problems.

Absolutely every track needs every racer that supports them all season long! The old $1,000.00 to win, winner takes all does nothing for the local racer. Someone will come in take the money, and go home.
Is it enough to have pro and no pro classes?
I don't think so, most places the entrys are the same, so if your going to pay your 50$ entry fee you might as well race with the pro class and see how you stack up. charge 10 at the gate and 15 per entry, and offer a money class 50 for entry and pays top 3, all other classes pays the entire field. starting the race pays 10. and again sell all the food you can. everyone wants a good burger or hot dog. that doesn't cost 8 bucks.

Personally, I'm probably not going to drive more than 2 or 3 hours to a race, and certainly not that far every week. Its just too much time for my schedule.

I also struggle with the idea that I might would be in $100 for a weekend before I've opened the trailer, let alone breaking something. I know I'm spoiled with my local track, but I can have two karts, myself, and 3 pit helpers for under $70. That makes it easier to do the things I do. Now with that said, if it was a race that paid... I dont know $300-$1000 to win, $75-$150 to start, I might would make the journey a little longer and pay more at the gate. I also realize that isnt a successful business model for a track.

With all this said, I'm begging my local track to go to a reasonable $100 a year to save your parking spot. I'm a little tired of getting to the track 4 hours before the races start just to get the pit spot I like.
I agree, you've got the money, which means you're probably a little smarter than everybody else, the tracks should respect that and offer advantages to you.

I agree, you've got the money, which means you're probably a little smarter than everybody else, the tracks should respect that and offer advantages to you.
I'm not looking for handouts or special treatments, I just know that I will miss a max of two races a year. So for me, it would be worth spending a week or two's budget on parts for a pit spot. If its $50 so be it, just something so that I can have that spot whether I get there at noon or 30 minutes before racing starts.

I dont think I necessarily "have the money" I'm just a single guy willing to be poor so he can race :ROFLMAO:

I'm not looking for handouts or special treatments, I just know that I will miss a max of two races a year. So for me, it would be worth spending a week or two's budget on parts for a pit spot. If its $50 so be it, just something so that I can have that spot whether I get there at noon or 30 minutes before racing starts.

I dont think I necessarily "have the money" I'm just a single guy willing to be poor so he can race :ROFLMAO:
It’s done at my local track and is a very popular option. All of the regulars have purchased a spot.

It’s done at my local track and is a very popular option. All of the regulars have purchased a spot.
I think it would just help ease a bit of the "Gotta get there stupid early" for me, and many others. Everybody knows how it goes, you pit by guys you like to be by, or try to anyways. But it does kill more time of productive time just to sit at the track for 4 hours.

I admit to purchasing pit spaces, but only At the Nationals. And the only reason I did that was because you didn't have to load up everything each night. They had all night guards to protect your pit spot. For me, a trip to the Nationals meant over a week and a half of practicing and racing.

^^ All that is why I'm in favor of a half-day event, gate opens, and you're practicing within 45m - 1 hr.....elminates useless waiting. And I can still get my lawn mowed in the morning. LOL

^^ All that is why I'm in favor of a half-day event, gate opens, and you're practicing within 45m - 1 hr.....elminates useless waiting. And I can still get my lawn mowed in the morning. LOL
For my local track, so far this year, I get there somewhere between 12:30 and 1, hotlaps start between 4:30 and 5, heats are ending normally around 8, 30 to 45 minute intermission, last race finishes around 10:30.

With that said, weve had two races with more than 160 entries that ran to 2AM. Lucky for me I live 20 minutes from the track.

I have always wondered why it takes so long to run a show. I get everybody wants their laps, and every once in a while somebody needs a minute or two. Personally, I say no intermission. Maybe 10 minutes to blow the marbles off of the top, and lets get rolling.

Back