what is a GEM motor

May be a re-manfacturing company not sure ......or maybe only some of the parts are GEM
was thinking electric motor , but you said it has a newer carb. so it's gas or meth.
Get Enough Money..............

It may be just a exhaust manifold or chain guard etc.that says gem , back then they made a lot of aftermarket parts that bolted on to the Mac engines.

'75 Margay....likely a yellow McCulloch engine with just some GEM parts. GEM made lots of things for karts, mounts, mufflers, etc. Brian Jacobson/Viking Karting Products took over GEM a couple of years ago. If you have pictures of the engine, there will be a few on here that can identify it.

Thats what I'm thinking. Stickers can be placed anywhere giving the appearance of brand. To my 50+ years of karting knowledge, GEM never built engines, just parts and accessories. 1975 was about the year the stock Briggs was introduced as an "affordable" class in a world dominated by 2 strokes. And if it is truly a '75 Margay, it is likely a Panther. Without pics its a guessing game though.

Thats what I'm thinking. Stickers can be placed anywhere giving the appearance of brand. To my 50+ years of karting knowledge, GEM never built engines, just parts and accessories. 1975 was about the year the stock Briggs was introduced as an "affordable" class in a world dominated by 2 strokes. And if it is truly a '75 Margay, it is likely a Panther. Without pics its a guessing game though.

IRC GEM embossed or stamped their name in their products

yep embossed in the side cover of the exhaust and it was priced right for a kart to have for more of the neighbor hood kids to ride around

yep embossed in the side cover of the exhaust and it was priced right for a kart to have for more of the neighbor hood kids to ride around
you sound like a great neighbor for the kids. One question; where are they going to ride this kart around? I hope you're not thinking of driving it on the streets.

AL, nice people with a big parking area we can play in, and a track about an hour away,
racing psychosis, yep that looks like the motor.. Nice kart by the way !

The Engine is MaCollough, with a GEM (brand) box muffler. Really stooped to run that thing anywhere but on a track, because it's value as a vintage Kart would prolly equal the price of 3-4 yard karts.

Yea, depending on what Mac it is, alky carb vs gas carb, clutch, manifold, it can be valuable to the right guy. If its a racing McCulloch, older 100cc, like say Mc45 or older - pretty valuable. Mc75 maybe only collectors would touch it, not very good, not very popular. Mc90 or newer not quite as valuable but very popular. Converted Mc350 fixed head saw motors like what are on my dual engine kart not very popular, pretty cheap, especially if you can build them yourself.

racing psychosis, yep that looks like the motor.. Nice kart by the way !

No problem and Thanks. The kart is a screamer, wicked fast, close to 40 Hp on methanol, with heavily modified 87cc saw motors. Had it at the Rock Island Grand Prix this past labor day, straight away speed is intense, cornering on skinny hard tires gives lots of pucker factor and hairy moments. I and the other dual rear, running Mc91s lapped the field in the vintage exhibition race.

Once I enlarge the photo it gets kinda fuzzy but the kart is a Margay Concept. Engine is a McCulloch with a GEM box muffler. Does the engine have head bolts? If so, it is a 100cc engine. If not, it is likely an 80cc engine.

Back