what's a good pipe for a stock vortex 100cc rotary valve w/c engine?

animal 77

hi, anybody know what a good pipe would be for a vortex 100cc rotary valve water cooled engine, all stock and running gas, thanks for any help...

You can start with a TaG pipe to get you going, closest to the original vevvy pipes that the used. Sonik, Rok or Leopard pipe would be fine. No idea where you would starting on gearing though, 1/4 asphalt your're gonna be hauling decent. Run 10oz castor/gal if it's aircooled. Yes, I said ten ounces per gallon. Oil is cheaper than pistons :). Leaded gas is nice to the bearings and other internals. You can run super high octane (say 110MON) if you like, you'll lose some power with the lower compression ratio but again it'll give you that extra bit of longevity.

hi, anybody know what a good pipe would be for a vortex 100cc rotary valve water cooled engine, all stock and running gas, thanks for any help...
clutch or direct drive? How many CC'S in the head?

I thought I heard somewhere that in Europe all kart engines have to run with 93 octane fuel. Am I right on that?

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

You can start with a TaG pipe to get you going, closest to the original vevvy pipes that the used. Sonik, Rok or Leopard pipe would be fine. No idea where you would starting on gearing though, 1/4 asphalt your're gonna be hauling decent. Run 10oz castor/gal if it's aircooled. Yes, I said ten ounces per gallon. Oil is cheaper than pistons :). Leaded gas is nice to the bearings and other internals. You can run super high octane (say 110MON) if you like, you'll lose some power with the lower compression ratio but again it'll give you that extra bit of longevity.
ok, thanks :) on gearing, if I run a 12/30 engine side and 24/53 clutch side that will give me around 77 mph @ 14,000 rpm

clutch or direct drive? How many CC'S in the head?

I thought I heard somewhere that in Europe all kart engines have to run with 93 octane fuel. Am I right on that?

i'm going to run a jackshaft, so i'll be using a buller 4 disc turbo clutch I don't know what the head cc's are.....

ok, thanks :) on gearing, if I run a 12/30 engine side and 24/53 clutch side that will give me around 77 mph @ 14,000 rpm
I can tell you right now that the 12 30 is not going to work. The chain speed will be way to fast and it will burn up the chain in 2 laps. What you need is a belt driver on the ignition side or replace the pto crank side with another ignition half and then a beltdriver on that.

Most were built for 96MON. I cant speak on the jackshaft setup, but for sure at 14K it'll be lugging, even though you have a clutch. I think I'd be shooting for around 16 for the first run then evaluate from there.
On (long) road courses we ran 10:66-64 (or 11:72ish) gearing with direct drive usually revving 17,500-18,500 at the peak.

Also, 11 is the biggest driver you can get, at that you are smacking the carb pretty good. 12 would be a custom sprocket and you'll be grinding the carb, in fact you may not even have clearance.

Saw your pics on the other thread, Ricard built some great Vortex's and Italsistems. They were all tuned for direct drive of course, so broad powerband with a lot of overrev (19-21K RPM), rather than a narrower, tall peak for a clutch setup.

I can tell you right now that the 12 30 is not going to work. The chain speed will be way to fast and it will burn up the chain in 2 laps. What you need is a belt driver on the ignition side or replace the pto crank side with another ignition half and then a beltdriver on that.

I do have another crankshaft I can have 2 ignition sides pressed together but will it work for the rotary valve?

Most were built for 96MON. I cant speak on the jackshaft setup, but for sure at 14K it'll be lugging, even though you have a clutch. I think I'd be shooting for around 16 for the first run then evaluate from there.
On (long) road courses we ran 10:66-64 (or 11:72ish) gearing with direct drive usually revving 17,500-18,500 at the peak.

Also, 11 is the biggest driver you can get, at that you are smacking the carb pretty good. 12 would be a custom sprocket and you'll be grinding the carb, in fact you may not even have clearance.

Saw your pics on the other thread, Ricard built some great Vortex's and Italsistems. They were all tuned for direct drive of course, so broad powerband with a lot of overrev (19-21K RPM), rather than a narrower, tall peak for a clutch setup.

:) that's just a picture of what my engine looks like, mine is all stock as far as I know..... I really appreciate all the help from you guys, thanks so much.

I do have another crankshaft I can have 2 ignition sides pressed together but will it work for the rotary valve?
My bad. I missed the part about the rotary. No it will not work. You need to have a belt driver on the ignition side. I would run an extension shaft and third bearing and put my belt drive on that.

Nope, theres nothing on the ignition side of the crank to drive the rotary valve nut, plus you'd lose the splines of course.
Second thought, maybe you could machine that side down to work.

Driving from the ignition side is a good way to go for what you are doing. You won't get bigger than an 11 driver under the carb.

with a 5.55 – 1 over all gear ratio, that seems like a really high ratio for a two cycle.

if you want to run a jackshaft, i machine a driver they attach's to ignition rotor, he gar also makes one, s1/4 pipe works best, modified s1/4 of running alky, I am looking for vortex rotary engines and parts, if your interested in selling or trading

Mike C. 602-741-7893

if you want to run a jackshaft, i machine a driver they attach's to ignition rotor, he gar also makes one, s1/4 pipe works best, modified s1/4 of running alky, I am looking for vortex rotary engines and parts, if your interested in selling or trading

Mike C. 602-741-7893

hi mike, i'm not sure if I want to sell this engine just yet, the ignition is pvl and for this engine it's the only one that fits on the cases.

PVL makes a rotor that has a square hex machined in it. Hegar makes a belt driver that indexes into that machined square. With that you can drive off the ign side. I ran it on reedjets and pcrs to roadrace and had no issues. One rotor did not have the square drive but my machinist was able to cut it for me.

Back