When is it time to give it up?

rowdy66

So I've been in and out of karting for 14 yeArs. This year I pretty much sold out, cuz I don't have the desire for some reason? Big cars are pricey but I just wanna try something else!! But not sure what yet? Anyone ever had this problem? I was thinking about just traveling to big shows or something once a month but idk? Im 34, am I too dang old to still be in this karting deal???

At 34 too young to give up, looks like you don't have racing DNA in your blood ......................... I'am 61 still working and racing go kart on dirt, been around racing cars on road course since around 15 only 4 years in kart and on dirt ................Racing is in my DNA .....................Anyhow you have to do what is best for you and your family good luck on whatever you do sir...:cool:......

Sometimes you have to step back and look at what class you are running,the people you are running with, look at the FPD (fun per dollar). Been trying to get out for about 55-years,tried everything except parachute racing. Nothing works except KARTING, now I will drive 12-hrs just to watch a 20-lap kart race with my friends,I would not change a thing I still love it. JMHO!

Im 31 looking to get back in it after a few years off. Getting everything ready to go and getting all the info I can so I can hit it big next year. Also, look at NASCAR and things like that. They have 17 year olds racing older guys there. So whats the differnce with karts? Its what I can afford so its what I do and I love it. Guys at work even give me crap about it but you know, they dont even have a hobby or anything cool like what we do. And with all these big payouts now days, it seems worth it.

Regardless of age, you still have to have fun and be motivated to do it. My back surgeon told me I had to give up driving. However, after 31 years of involvement with this great sport I decided I wasn't leaving it all together. I decided to hop the fence and get into the tech side of it. I'm glad I made that choice. It keeps me involved with something I have loved for most of my life. When I'm not teching, I'm off to a race somewhere to do videoing. That has proved to be great fun as well. Your never too old though.

Thnks for the responses! I'm feeling better already! Steppn out for a bit but I'll be back, cuz who am I kidding I can't draw away!!!!i do miss it

Man I didn't start til I was 38. I'm 40 now & having the most fun I've ever had!! Keep digging racing is hard & humbling. But remember winners never quit & quitters never win!

First, no your not to old. I'm 59 and loving it.
Second. If you don't have the desire or it's just not fun anymore and it's become a chore just to work on the karts then I say yes it;s time to find something else. I raced R C cars for 25 years from florida to maine and had a ton of fun. But then the fun stopped and it was time to get out. So now my fun is karts.
Hate to lose any karters but you need to do what makes you happy.

Mr.Lake - Like
Squirlly - Like
Bryan - Like always!
Happy Birthday Jack!
The DNA thing is a big one within me, I've been in and out of motorsports because of business but never for very long, and it is Go Karts always tugging at my heart, ever since I was a 4 yr old, and will always be involved in karting. Do pay attention to your priorities but also follow your heart.

So I've been in and out of karting for 14 yeArs. This year I pretty much sold out, cuz I don't have the desire for some reason? Big cars are pricey but I just wanna try something else!! But not sure what yet? Anyone ever had this problem? I was thinking about just traveling to big shows or something once a month but idk? Im 34, am I too dang old to still be in this karting deal???
When is it time to give it up, I don't know I was 50 when I started 74 now and still racing. Having fun is the name of the game. I took a break for several years but came back to it. Maybe you should take a break and see how you feel about it.

Can't believe my eyes, i'am 61 years old and still racing go karts, then on here I see a few guys older than me and still racing WOW.......keep it up fellas ......Need a World championship for the old fellas ...60 and over ...lol

I thought about selling out. Last year after my dad died I just didn't have it in me to get back on the track. I guess it was because he did it his whole life and he got me into it. He was always at the track at every race heck he ran the track the last 5 years of his life. I talked to my uncle and after he told me that dad wanted me to keep racing because it is what dad loved and I loved. My wife told me to follow my heart. So after listing it all for sale I told her that racing is in my blood. I'm a 3rd generation racer and my son races too. If racing is all you think about then stay in it and don't sell out. ( it takes more money to get back in racing than it does to keep it all ).

I agree maybe you need to look at your class. If it's to slow then move up to a faster class.

So keep it race and have fun. After all that's what racing is FUN.

Frankie

Thanks everyone for the great responses, racing is definetly in my DNA btw!! I think just stepping back this year and re groupings a great idea!! Although I did race once this year!! I am a sucker for karting that's for sure

I know what you mean. I've been in and out of karting for forty years now. Sometimes I get frustrated because I've hit a budget or talent or politics wall that has taken the fun out of it... I've found that's a good time to take a break and try something else for a while. I keep coming back to karts... it's gotten into my soul perhaps (I've come and gone at least a dozen times I think).

I'd say go ahead and try the cars and the big shows. You won't know if you really like it (or can do it) unless you try, and it'll answer those nagging questions. Karting should still be around if you decide to come back. Don't worry about age - that's just a number. Your body aches and pains will probably decide how you can participate, and there's plenty you can do outside of driving.

If you need the money, or expect to leave karting for more than a few seasons, go ahead and sell your stuff (before it ages out and loses too much value). It's true that it will be expensive to buy back in, but at the pace things are changing you may not be happy with your old stuff anymore if technology or rules changes leave it behind while you're away. But if you've got the budget and space to keep it, it will ease your return... or at least allow you to shake off some rust until you can update. Best wishes!

I'd been in Karting since its beginning. At '34', you have many options in front of you! As with me at '70' (now), Karting is just No longer fun anymore. If you can say 'that' too ur-self, you are 'Good-2go'! Also, sit down w/pen and paper and wright down all the 'why's' and 'why not's' and follow your heart. In my case, Golf and my '57' Cameo restoration project makes the 'choice' much easier!!

Back