Where are all the LO206 rules changes?

When karting is marketed as cheap then you draw cheap people that don't spend money. Yes we need more karters but we need karters that have some money to spend. Cheap people are the ones that make posts on here looking to save $1.00 on a mychron instead of supporting there local shop.

When karting is marketed as cheap then you draw cheap people that don't spend money. Yes we need more karters but we need karters that have some money to spend. Cheap people are the ones that make posts on here looking to save $1.00 on a mychron instead of supporting there local shop.

Bingo.................100% correct again!

Easiest way to achieve that is to price everything.........including gate and entry fees, out of reach of the "cheapos".

Raise 'money race' entry fees to a minimum of $1000.00 per head..........with a suitable payout to match.

For you Bob, from the old board.
Don't remember who posted it so can't give credit;

Well I took it off the tiller
And I headed for the shed
I cleaned off the dirt
Them I took off the head

The valves were all burnt
And the piston was rockun
Pulled off the side cover
That rod had been knockun

The valve springs were weak
And the guides real loose
I knew right away
These were signs of abuse

I checked with the wife
To get a little dough
Alot of parts were needed
To make this motor go

I knew she wanted that garden ready
To plant in the spring
So I knew she'd give me the money to fix that thing

Well, there's weeds in the garden
And the lawns two feet high
But that Briggs on that Kart
Is makin' it fly

It will till your garden
It will mow your grass
Put it on your Kart
And it will kick some •••

Out of it for now (waiting on 2 year old Granddaughter to get old enough) but love me some tater diggers.

Easiest way to achieve that is to price everything.........including gate and entry fees, out of reach of the "cheapos".

Raise 'money race' entry fees to a minimum of $1000.00 per head..........with a suitable payout to match.
price a new race ready kart, no used parts with all the trimmings,buy a truck and trailer and stock it with spares then take the family racing. Now thats cheap.

Seems to me that an inexpensive engine, that will last for years, with rules that don't change, that makes the same HP as the next one solves a lot of the problems y'all have brought up. It's called the LO206.
Why anyone would want to go back to that engine of the 90"s is hard for me to understand.

I think the 206 is by far the best investment it's just the fact that most tracks won't consider starting a class. Just like it was when we went from flat heads to clones, tracks and builders didn't like the idea of them either until they figured out it was them or nothing. Give it some time and the clones will self destruct and they will move on to something else.
If briggs would give more incentive to tracks like for example Burris does then maybe they would see a benifit in promoting the 206 until then it'smore of the same.

Bob, I'm for attracting ALL sorts. But the guys that bring money to the sport and sponsor events, classes, Etc aren't the ones being targeted. id love to go back to the days of hauling the kart in a pickup truck but those days are gone.

Engine and tire prices aren't too far from where they were 20 years ago but kart prices have doubled...very little outrage there for some reason compared to other items

Bob, I'm for attracting ALL sorts. But the guys that bring money to the sport and sponsor events, classes, Etc aren't the ones being targeted. id love to go back to the days of hauling the kart in a pickup truck but those days are gone.

Engine and tire prices aren't too far from where they were 20 years ago but kart prices have doubled...very little outrage there for some reason compared to other items
Everyone has all this stuff backwards. First you need a show, with a lot of entries from all over, THEN and only then will companies and groups line up to give you money or prizes.
The dirt side doesn't have that problem, monitor the SouthEast track forum over the spring and you'll see all kinds of companies and shops sponsoring events and classes. Some events will have 15, 20 or more class sponsors.
IMO, the whole thing is a balancing act between racers, tracks, and manufacturers/kart shops. Tick any one of those groups off, and you're headed for failure.

When I mentioned the rules package, most of you guys acted like I was stuck in the '90's, when the gist of it was that success follows those that do right.
Give the racer a fair shake, the manufacturers and kart shops aren't there to be a promoter's money machine, they're in business to make a profit. Don't promise what you can't deliver.
All this stuff is common sense (which seems to be more and more uncommon with each passing year). And I've been saying it for so long that I'm running out of different wording I can use to get the point across.
Also, there are too many series and too few good promoters.
Ah well, most times I feel like I'm just typing this stuff out into vapor. :)

Bob are these low budget locals the ones traveling from all over to attend these big events? The low budget locals from my area sure don't.

I definitely agree you need to have the karts before the sponsors etc. Like the chicken before the egg. I too wish there were more than a few good promoters in karting.

Your "and there it is" comment couldn't be more off base in regards to my opinion. I view club racers as more valuable to karting than national racers. The problem is those racers with low budgets don't continue the cycle onto the big events. And again they don't support the local shops if they can save a buck elsewhere.

Bob
With all due respect.
Your posts don't disappear into a vacuum like mine have.
Opinions are just like belly buttons everybody has one. It's up to the individual to decide what they want to believe and what path they take.
They may want to follow you or someone else but if those other opinions / posts are censored they only get one side of the story. That's wrong!
Kind of like Al Qaeda and ISIS only let their followers hear what they want them to hear.
I am not alone. Other people that have a different view of things often have their posts disappear
Thankfully, the people don't disappear, like they do in other countries.

Bob
With all due respect.
Your posts don't disappear into a vacuum like mine have.
Opinions are just like belly buttons everybody has one. It's up to the individual to decide what they want to believe and what path they take.
They may want to follow you or someone else but if those other opinions / posts are censored they only get one side of the story. That's wrong!
Kind of like Al Qaeda and ISIS only let their followers hear what they want them to hear.
I am not alone. Other people that have a different view of things often have their posts disappear
Thankfully, the people don't disappear, like they do in other countries.
The only part of your post that was deleted was your complaint about the unsolicited 206 advertisement you made in the clone forum disappearing. No one was trash talking the 206 in that forum, so you weren't defending it.
It's been a long standing moderator guideline that any post or thread complaining about deleted posts or threads are to be deleted on sight. According to that guideline your post and Al's post should be deleted. My reasoning being that if I wanted continued discussion about deleted posts, they wouldn't have been deleted in the first place.
I do think comparing me to terrorist groups is a bit over the top.

Forum rules for those who missed them:

1) Don't be mean
2) Don't be obscene
3) Don't cause me trouble

Bob are these low budget locals the ones traveling from all over to attend these big events? The low budget locals from my area sure don't.

I definitely agree you need to have the karts before the sponsors etc. Like the chicken before the egg. I too wish there were more than a few good promoters in karting.

Your "and there it is" comment couldn't be more off base in regards to my opinion. I view club racers as more valuable to karting than national racers. The problem is those racers with low budgets don't continue the cycle onto the big events. And again they don't support the local shops if they can save a buck elsewhere.
Gary,
I gathered that from your response, my apologies.
In fact, on the dirt side, especially in the SE, many of the low budget locals do enter these events. Mainly because they have achieved "Happening" status.
Thanksgiving Thunder had over 2000 entries, with over or near 100 entries in several specific classes. On a 1/4 or 1/5 mile oval, there will normally be 25 or so who will qualify for the feature. So probably half of these folks know there's a good chance they won't make the feature, and a quarter of them are just hopeful. :) They do it to see how they stack up against the best.
And, when there are over a hundred entries in one class, there's an incredible "cool" factor involved in just making the show.
It also needs to be pointed out that the Tri-State series is not spread out over the whole country, so travel is reasonable.

price a new race ready kart, no used parts with all the trimmings,buy a truck and trailer and stock it with spares then take the family racing. Now thats cheap.

You do realize that most people wo get into racing already have a truck, and buy a trailer, kart, and most everything else used right? Not as many as you think have such deep pockets that they can just go out and buy a new truck ($10,000-60,000), new trailer ($2000-20,000), new kart ($2500-3500), several sets of new tires ($300-400 X 10) plus enough spare parts to get them thru the season ($200-1000), tire prep ($100-1000) and new engine/s ($600-1000 X 3). If you take the time to add all that up, your saying the average person spends close to $100k just to start racing, when in reality most racers start racing with equipment they got in a buyout, which would include the trailer, one or more karts, a bunch of tires and several engines as well as a bunch of extra parts, and most dont even pay $10,000 for everything. To be honest, id think most actually pay $5000 or less for the complete operation. I started with a 12' enclosed trailer, 05 ultramax octane chassis, one new clone engine and one new flathead engine, 2 sets of tires, which I paid $2000 for everything and could pull up at the track and unload and go racing the day after I bought it. Deep pockets aren't a neccesity in this sport, only for those who make it that way or try to race with the very elite teams. But then, who is going to start racing and go strait to the top racing against only the best? Nobody that I have ever heard of...

Since this thread has gotten well off topic....let's try to reign it back in without all the typical bickering.

Question:

How many of you guys build (and/or) tech both the LO206 and clone engines?

Next question:

How many of you have actually raced both the LO206 and the clone engine and gone through tech at the end of the night?

Out of this whole thread, I'm guessing I can count them all on one hand. It seems that plenty of people have plenty of opinions (positive and negative) supporting their choice of engine package without ever even trying the other. That's an amazing amount of loyalty. :)

My point in the original post of this thread was that as a racer, engine builder, and tech man....it sure is nice to have a STABLE set of rules to go by.
Can we all agree on that much?

I like the rev limiter, to me it's the biggest selling point of the Briggs engines. On our 19 turn sprint track getting out of the turns is the key to being fast, the Lo206's and WF's hammer the rev limiter 1/2 way down the straights. The clones hammer their valves when the cheese**** springs float instead. I chewed up my first set of valves in two practice sessions. Come up with a rev-limited coil or add on rev limiter, ditch the spring rule, and I'm happy.
In fact, I'm building a modified predator and I'll be in the market for some kind of rev limiter option for it. Thankfully our track is asphalt and there's very little slip so gearing can prevent over-rev, but I'd still prefer an electronic limiter.
Put the Briggs rev limiting coil of your choice with the Briggs flywheel, and you will have the functioning rev limiter.
It's a simple modification......and very inexpensive.

Back