why... so many classes

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
question comes from reading some other posts. I have yet to be at a track that is racing classes... mostly just for fun,.. no points, no trophy, no money... just seat time. I hear a lot about too many classes with low kart counts. and taking for ever to get an event in...

Why, would a track have 20 or 30 classes, or even 10 classes if you only have 30 drivers with 3 to 5 karts in each.. don't tracks, track directors set up weight and motor combos... to give drivers more karts in each class..

Seems to me if i was, (maybe some day) running a track i'd want 5 karts per heat race and not less then 10 in a feature. so if i have 10 clone guys, (adults) i'd push them into one class.. same motor, one weight... sorry for the skinny light weight guy of the group... you'll have to add weight... sorry for the big guy of the group... you'll be over weight.

maybe split the difference. weigh each one to be in the class then make the weight for the class, say 90% of the average. this way you may only have 2 guys that are over weight in the class..

Just a thought.... Any takers on this...

I've always wondered the same thing. Instead of having three weight classes for each kind of motor just have one . The field will be bigger the race will be more interesting and it won't take till 2 or 3 in the morning getting it over with.

So everyone can feel good going home with a trophy and so more can win points championships.

That is the only reason.

It's also a feel good thing and promoters must know it keeps racers coming through their gates. Also extends the racing to an all day thing and keeps a lot of people coming for the social aspect and gives them someplace to go. Heck on Saturdays I show up at the local track around 3:30, because we tailgate before the races, putting a canopy up an all. Been doing it for years now.

On one hand some racers don't like being there all day, but for others it's an outing with the family or to spend time with friends.

Another thing is if you put 20+ karts on the track per class, it won't be long before some of them decide it's more fun to stay back and watch, then it was when there were 8 in a class. When the going gets tough, some will take another road.

question comes from reading some other posts. I have yet to be at a track that is racing classes... mostly just for fun,.. no points, no trophy, no money... just seat time. I hear a lot about too many classes with low kart counts. and taking for ever to get an event in...

Why, would a track have 20 or 30 classes, or even 10 classes if you only have 30 drivers with 3 to 5 karts in each.. don't tracks, track directors set up weight and motor combos... to give drivers more karts in each class..

Seems to me if i was, (maybe some day) running a track i'd want 5 karts per heat race and not less then 10 in a feature. so if i have 10 clone guys, (adults) i'd push them into one class.. same motor, one weight... sorry for the skinny light weight guy of the group... you'll have to add weight... sorry for the big guy of the group... you'll be over weight.

maybe split the difference. weigh each one to be in the class then make the weight for the class, say 90% of the average. this way you may only have 2 guys that are over weight in the class..

Entry fees for each class is basically the only source of income a promotor has since typically there are no fans. So taking the 10 drivers takes maybe 30 entry fees if all were running multiple classes down to 10 if all were combined.

The tracks we run at the entry fee is paid back to the winners, the gate fee is what the track gets, so that can't be the reason for running so many classes.

When a track tries to "push" racers where they don't want to go.........they tend to stop showing up at your track.........reducing track income.

When a track does not have an alternate source of income.........such as a spectator base...........the racers become the sole source of income.....and most tracks continue to have expenses even when there is no racing............such as weather, season, or other interruptions.
So, the track must bring in sufficient income when it can to sustain itself all year long.

The more gate paying, fee paying racers a track can accommodate, the more income for the track to pay the year-round bills.

Ok, MY thoughts. Entry fees.. $25./ head racer.... pit passes $15.. as an owner if you want more $ to put in your pocket or in the racers hand.. then all pit passes are $25... not a kart fee and a pit pass fee... come on, if your a promoter... your trophy's are only $5-7 each any way or free in exchange for promoting the trophy shop... less trophy's to hand out with less classes..

Feel good, if you put in the effort.. you'll feel good... just saying... there can only be one winner...
if you want a bigger show... add additional race events, like the wrong way around the track, or... Australian pursuit,... if you want more events use your imagination... I CAN'T WAIT to promote my own track...

here's my thought... get the fans involved... fastest way to an addiction (racing addiction) is to get butts in seats.. as a track owner i'd have 5 karts that i would have random draw from the crowd and give them a race of there own..

i agree with you darth duck... we need to pay the bills, fastest way to do this is with higher body count... fans and racers... promote, promote,promote!!

The start of to many classes all goes back to the racers themselves and track operators trying to cooperate and keep everyone happy.

Example local Fri, Sat night racing Racer or dad goes to track operator would you consider changing the weight for a certain class ? Track operator NO, first response Ok were not coming back, then ok would you add a class at a different weight, So he does.

Example 2 my kid just cannot compete at this weight.
Example 2 Can we add a class where we can switch this on the motors.

I could go on and on and continue with 20 examples, it all points right back to the racers.

i agree with you darth duck... we need to pay the bills, fastest way to do this is with higher body count... fans and racers... promote, promote,promote!!

Everyone points to economy this and that, I add SR Fun classes used Tires, used Chassis, $220 Brand New Dover motor, $10 entry fee even with trophies one class got to as high as 8 then the problems start, half the class want to cheat up there motors, run open clutches, change gear rule.

Sat Race 4 a Cause, I'll have 5 Rookie and Kids classes FREE entry fee, with small payouts, those classes will be my lowest number in entries, NO outsiders will take me up on it.

When it comes right if the proof is in the pudding, VERY,VERY, few racers know what the want to see happen that's best for the big picture, there in this tunnel now moment and it's all what about Me ! Me ! and did I see Me !

Funny how when Kart racing started it was with 2 stroke, war surplus kinds types of engines. There were for the first few yrs. maybe 6 classes, and a ton of entrees in each class, from coast to coast, then the different sanctioning bodies began fighting with each other. Never did get together. 4 strokes got popular in the S.E., kind of snuck up on the rest of the karting world. Many things have changed over the yrs., and will prolly do so even more in the future. Some of us just seem to roll with it and race any and every thing possible.

Ok, MY thoughts. Entry fees.. $25./ head racer.... pit passes $15.. as an owner if you want more $ to put in your pocket or in the racers hand.. then all pit passes are $25... not a kart fee and a pit pass fee... come on, if your a promoter... your trophy's are only $5-7 each any way or free in exchange for promoting the trophy shop... less trophy's to hand out with less classes..

Feel good, if you put in the effort.. you'll feel good... just saying... there can only be one winner...
if you want a bigger show... add additional race events, like the wrong way around the track, or... Australian pursuit,... if you want more events use your imagination... I CAN'T WAIT to promote my own track...

here's my thought... get the fans involved... fastest way to an addiction (racing addiction) is to get butts in seats.. as a track owner i'd have 5 karts that i would have random draw from the crowd and give them a race of there own..

You think your the first to come up with these idea's?
20 years in karting, and building and running one of the nations premiere tracks ive seen just about everything imaginable, including New racers with old ideas to cure everything

Therein lies the problem...........providing for fans (spectators) cost money..........with little way to predict the outcome and profits.

Promotion costs money..........again with little way to predict the outcome and/or profits.

Tracks typically operate just shy of "going out of business". Few have an effective "business plan" or work by regular P&L statements showing just what financial shape the track is in.

In the B4C free track ad section...........the vast majority of tracks posting in those sections post only the "track name"..........then the events.
Posting addresses and contact methods is one of the simplest ( and least costly on B4C) form of promotion for a track.
Clearly, not every ad reader knows just where the track is located. If an address was posted up front, that "stranger" interested in a track, could, with a few key strokes, find the location and directions to get to the track.

I get the impression that track event posters seem to operate with the notion "I know where the track is" and "if you don't, its none of your business."

yep, same old song.. nope, i know my idea is not new.. still going to to all i to make our track successful... seems like those tracks that are, have a lot of support from drivers, family, and fans that are constantly pulling people to the track and promoting there local track... family fun for everyone..

I've always wondered the same thing. Instead of having three weight classes for each kind of motor just have one . The field will be bigger the race will be more interesting and it won't take till 2 or 3 in the morning getting it over with.
The three weight classes is for one thing only. That is to raise
money by allowing the same drivers to enter multiple classes.
Guys, especially Jr's, enter light, add some lead to make medium, add some more to make heavy.
Same guys run 3 races, and pay 3 entrants. Neat scam, eh??

we're lucky to have any tracks to race at. anyone who thinks most tracks are making a killing is insane. how many tracks get more than 50-60 karts anymore. most tracks have to give back most of their entry back so gate fee is it for the owner. at 10 dollar a pit pass you keep 6-7 dollars after insurance. i help run a series in pa and see first hand how hard it is to run a track and break even.

we're lucky to have any tracks to race at. anyone who thinks most tracks are making a killing is insane. how many tracks get more than 50-60 karts anymore. most tracks have to give back most of their entry back so gate fee is it for the owner. at 10 dollar a pit pass you keep 6-7 dollars after insurance. i help run a series in pa and see first hand how hard it is to run a track and break even.

I absolutely agree and I've been involved in kart racing for a very long time.

Back