World Formula

I love the World Formula engine. It has decent speed, an on board starter and it is easy to tune and maintain.

When I left the Karting scene I knew the launch of the engine didn’t take off like I had hoped but I was shocked to learn that a seal animal, which pushes out ~10 HP would overtake the faster WF classes.

I would have thought the WF, sealed, would be and could be the next step up to the beginners class.

Why do you think the WF engine isn’t gaining as much traction as we had hoped?

I love the World Formula engine. It has decent speed, an on board starter and it is easy to tune and maintain.

When I left the Karting scene I knew the launch of the engine didn’t take off like I had hoped but I was shocked to learn that a seal animal, which pushes out ~10 HP would overtake the faster WF classes.

I would have thought the WF, sealed, would be and could be the next step up to the beginners class.

Why do you think the WF engine isn’t gaining as much traction as we had hoped?

Because people in kart racing are idiots.....for an example, see the clone engine.

It seems like we have had this discussion before a lot of it was/is pricepoint for the engine. Then let's look at where the WF is raced mainly which is road course. At the time the engine was brought out was too little too late as most had already jumped on the clone bandwagon. I personally prefer the flathead or animal but I have to be like everyone else and race the classes the tracks want us to race which is clone and now predator. Although sometimes I can talk a promoter to let me run one of my flatheads.

Because people in kart racing are idiots.....for an example, see the clone engine.
You have not bought a built to spec world formula for the junior sprint class clearly. I would be tickled pink to go back to the clone prices. If they sealed it i guess it would of been about the same price point as a decent/good clone but they didn't so now they are $2500

$2500 for a WorldFormula? Wasn’t it a spec class?

If someone wants to go whole hog in building an engine I thought Mike Burris addressed that with his F200. Plus there are open classes all over that should teach the lesson of why opening up an engine can do to costs and competitiveness.

I prefer to compete on the track and not at the bank.

You have not bought a built to spec world formula for the junior sprint class clearly. I would be tickled pink to go back to the clone prices. If they sealed it i guess it would of been about the same price point as a decent/good clone but they didn't so now they are $2500

A top notch clone is $1500, needs constant updating, and needs reblocked after about 3 rebuilds. Ill pass.

The local go kart shop said most of the lo206 racers r going to the 100cc class in my area. Sprint kart racing. The ka 100 cc engine has 8 more hp than a spec world formula In there mid range. With my 12 to 1 comp. 310 dyno cam, ported head, valve job, custom header, 25 lbs lighter, and stickier tires. I’ve got with in 1.5 seconds a lap of the Average ka 100cc driver. I believe with a custom cylinder head that flowed more air, better cam and a little bigger carb. And a little more comp. That would close the gap on a 100cc kart. My kart has very similar top speed 65 mph. It just lacks the mid range hp and the light weight rotating parts to accelerate off the corner. I’ve got choices, buy a used, new ka 100 1500 to 2800 bucks or the parts for my lawn mower. I really like my hot rod pull start power!

Basically the 206 was a “lessons learned” from the world formula (which started as a CIK class believe it or not, but only Briggs participated)

(speaking for sprint) Parity, ease of use, total cost of ownership and reliability matter more than outright speed to most kart racers…. As demonstrated by the numbers.

Not that the WF was unreliable as such, but in certain hands they seemed to come apart more often. Compared to a 206 a WF required more fresh parts to keep them performing well and blueprinting was essential for top performance.

Sure, you’ll hear anecdotes here and there of how their WF ran one million hours and didn’t need work, but overall the 206 is a closer fit for the market.

It’s interesting that a higher performance four stoke of 100cc equivalent performance hasn’t taken hold yet though.

A top notch clone is $1500, needs constant updating, and needs reblocked after about 3 rebuilds. Ill pass.
^^^^ that right there. I've got animal engines on the shelf that are 5 years old. I could run them tomorrow. Try that with a clone.

^^^^ that right there. I've got animal engines on the shelf that are 5 years old. I could run them tomorrow. Try that with a clone.
Keep holding onto them cause the new blocks won't hold up to 16hp and 7100 rpm. Cracking the block on the flywheel side is pretty common place now.

Not sure how a clone on a shelf vs an animal on a shelf for 5 years would be any different. If it was stored correctly they will both be fine.

Keep holding onto them cause the new blocks won't hold up to 16hp and 7100 rpm. Cracking the block on the flywheel side is pretty common place now.

Not sure how a clone on a shelf vs an animal on a shelf for 5 years would be any different. If it was stored correctly they will both be fine.

Exponential amounts of rule changes to clones in 5 years.

Changes to the animal? Zero.

In 03 at EC's we built an alky .900 venturi Tillotson spec carb for a special class of W/F at Sugarhill Raceway, a track somewhere out west, they loved it . It had to really wake it up. Not sure how well they stayed together though.

Back