Yellow Vega

Yes, they can get sticky... So sticky that they'll stick to the wall of your trailer.
Like KJ said -- it depends on what you're prepping with.
If you're prepping them down in duro for soft dirt tracks, then sticky is just fine.
If you're prepping for pavement, or dry-slick dusty no bite dirt tracks, "sticky" is generally not the right direction.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Yes, they can get sticky... So sticky that they'll stick to the wall of your trailer.
Like KJ said -- it depends on what you're prepping with.
If you're prepping them down in duro for soft dirt tracks, then sticky is just fine.
If you're prepping for pavement, or dry-slick dusty no bite dirt tracks, "sticky" is generally not the right direction.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
what is the reason sticky is not good for dry dusty tracks

what is the reason sticky is not good for dry dusty tracks

The heavy duro vegas on dry slick tracks will bite up great for the first few laps, then the right sides get overworked from heat and you will be worse off than everyone else, it’s like driving a school bus on ice. Vegas can only take so much abuse on a dry track when heavily prepped before they’re done.

The heavy duro vegas on dry slick tracks will bite up great for the first few laps, then the right sides get overworked from heat and you will be worse off than everyone else, it’s like driving a school bus on ice. Vegas can only take so much abuse on a dry track when heavily prepped before they’re done.
Heavy duro?

I meant low.
How low? Thick or thin? If the track is dry slick but isn't building heat you would be ok on soft 30-35 vegas right?

If I was on dry dusty slick I wouldn’t be anywhere near the 30s and 40s. I’d be high 50s and next to no prep at all maybe just a wipe of orange if anything. Up on air a touch too... say 7 and 6 or if you need to drop the split and even them up if it’s to slick.

If I was on dry dusty slick I wouldn’t be anywhere near the 30s and 40s. I’d be high 50s and next to no prep at all maybe just a wipe of orange if anything. Up on air a touch too... say 7 and 6 or if you need to drop the split and even them up if it’s to slick.
Is your experience based on cut thicks or thins?

I have and use both. Thick’s and thins. I don’t buy cuts I buzz them with a 220 cross hatch with a belt sander and run em.

If you aren't using something like Black sand on a dry/slick track you're getting left in the dust!

if you follow my posts you know at my local tracks black sand and rough cut diamond are my go to preps... however due to black sand dropping the duro to much for my liking I have experimented with fresh rubber and higher air and am getting away from that whole deal. But yes used in moderation it’s a great prep for that scenario

How much are you seeing black sand drop the duro? I bought a gallon of sst5 and they seem to have the same properties so I just cut it way back can’t see ordering black sand. Does it pickup dust off the track?

With 2oz of internal on the RS and a few wipes of black sand throughout a couple weeks it dropped brand new yellows 12 points. That put them to almost too soft to use for the track i run. Mid to high 50s works well for me.

I haven’t really had black sand drop the duro unless I cut it with acrysol? Maybe the drop you are seeing is from something you are cutting it with if you are?

With 2oz of internal on the RS and a few wipes of black sand throughout a couple weeks it dropped brand new yellows 12 points. That put them to almost too soft to use for the track i run. Mid to high 50s works well for me.

I haven’t really had black sand drop the duro unless I cut it with acrysol? Maybe the drop you are seeing is from something you are cutting it with if you are?
Its likely whatever he is rolling with. It takes a week or longer for some stuff to pull through. I have heard them say black sand takes on characteristics of whats under it so maybe its increasing the softening effects of whatever he is rolling.

I don’t know if it’s the softening characteristics or more along the lines of adding to the bite and conditions each prep is for, example btgp it will take on the characteristics of adding bite in wet conditions. That’s how I have understood it to work. Very possible I’m wrong!

Back