2008 Icon numbers....

496 BB

Just scaled this kart and is new to me this year. Running 1/12 mile no bank dirt oval. SS11 tires no prep (per rules, backyard track) and modified engine. Braking in corners. Took it out this weekend for a shakedown and was first time Ive been on and track was not very good....slick. I was having to keep wheel turned left from apex out and felt like it was pushing coming out. Here are my numbers. Im just learning all this chassis setup as last kart didnt have half of what this does for adjustments. Im taller so have to keep seat back a little. Its still right above axle and 1.5-2" from brake caliper bracket. Has a fiberglass body.

Total Kart and driver = 415
Left side - 58.4%
Front - 43.75%
Cross - 60.8%

Where should I go from here as a general starting place?

You need to get your nose up to 46%. Then for camber -2.25 rf and 3/8° lf is good for a small track on 11's without prep. Stagger should be 1.5" front and 1.5" rear. After you get your camber and stagger set put the caster on 7 & 10, move the RF to having two and a half washers on the bottom. Then adjust the LF to where the kart has 62% cross. Check the camber again, then set the toe to 1/16" out. Air pressure start at 5 & 6. That should be a good start, adjust from there.

at them weights with an icon you are going to need the x factor spindles to get the cross up, may have them now.
As stated need that 46 on the nose. we like a little more right front camber than that.
does it have the wiggy bar something else to consider.

Ok how do you suggest I get nose weight up? I will check to see what my washer setup is tomorrow. Is there any defining characteristics of the x factor spindles? It may have em. I assume the spindle part is higher on the kingpin body? Could I compare it to the RF?

Stagger is 1.5" now. Running 8psi.

No wiggy bar.

should be an x stamped in spindle., the axle part will be almost at the top of the barrel on the left spindle. Nose move seat forward. not sure how you ever got it to 43 we have always been 46.5 or 47 maybe 45 never ever remember being any where near 43.75. may want to search seat mounting for icon /seraph just too compare.

I think they may be x spindles as it is noticeably closer to top than the rf is. I got seat back quite a bit since Im tall. Thats prolly how its that way.

On caster I have two lines. One toward rear and one toward front. Which is the defining line?

So the 2.5 washers on bottom of RF I just make up the difference on top right? Then on LF I adjust washers for cross.... more on bottom make more cross? I have adjustable rear end as well if that makes a difference.

Like I said Im stupid on this so far. Had a guy do it before and hes not around no more so Im learning as fast as I can. Thanks again.

If your block is on the front of the caster plate use the front line. If block is on the back use the back line. Yes use whatever washers you have on the top of the RF then adjust with the LF.

I tried moving seat as far forward as I can and am now humping the steering wheel and still cant get over 43.7% front weight. Would moving the washers help also? The seat is a Select xxl brand new. I moved to 10" off axle top. I have no rules about this as its a private track.

I am however down to 57.4% on left side now.

Seat is mounted to PRC specs in video and literature.

Moved RF to 2.5 washers on bottom and scaled. No diff. Moved LF to all washers on top and was wrong way. I got em all on bottom now and about to scale it to see if cross comes up. Cant I adjust rear as well?

1 full thickness washer should be about 1 to 1.5%. If you're moving washers and your cross isn't moving then something is pretty bad wrong (likely with the scales). You can adjust with the rear but I wouldn't if I could avoid it.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Thanks Todd. I got great numbers on cross now. Im 68% so need to back it down a bit to get 62%. Still gonna have to add weight for front though I think. Do these numbers mesh with you as well Todd?

Also my track is 39". Is that good?

Adding to each wheel will just equal out and won't change any % age.
adding 10 pounds to the front end, "won't change any % age", are you kidding!! And what does, "will just equal out" mean? By your response, I can only guess that you didn't understand my post. I have a spreadsheet, called Corner Weights, and it's accurate to 2 decimal places. This is what I used for my calculations, what did you use?

I put in the posters numbers for the corners and came up with the exact total kart and driver weight and percentages as the original poster. I then increased the weight of both front wheels by five pounds. This increased the total weight from 415 pounds to 425 pounds. This changed the front percentage from 43.75% to 45%.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

Back