2008 Icon numbers....

adding 10 pounds to the front end, "won't change any % age", are you kidding!! And what does, "will just equal out" mean? By your response, I can only guess that you didn't understand my post. I have a spreadsheet, called Corner Weights, and it's accurate to 2 decimal places. This is what I used for my calculations, what did you use?

I put in the posters numbers for the corners and came up with the exact total kart and driver weight and percentages as the original poster. I then increased the weight of both front wheels by five pounds. This increased the total weight from 415 pounds to 425 pounds. This changed the front percentage from 43.75% to 45%.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

Of course adding just to the front would when you stated add 5 lb to EACH wheel, I took like you meant an additional 5 lb to each wheel, when you only meant 5 lb to each front wheel, I see where your going now. Sorry did not take it the same way.

Of course adding just to the front would when you stated add 5 lb to EACH wheel, I took like you meant an additional 5 lb to each wheel, when you only meant 5 lb to each front wheel, I see where your going now. Sorry did not take it the same way.
no problem at all. Still, my comment was, "my spreadsheet says adding 10 pounds to the front, five pounds on each wheel, will get you to 45%." Perhaps, a more careful reading of my post, might have prevented you from casting the disparaging remarks. And still yet, I do appreciate the apology.

It often surprises me how many people miss quote and/or miss read my posts. Far too many times, in my opinion, to be a statistically normal occurrence.

(Al Nunley)

Ok got these numbers and it was better before...lol. Track is waaaaay lose and dusty. Where should I go for tightening up for apex out?

Could you repost the setup you ran on it this past weekend? I just want to make sure we're working with the most accurate numbers and that I don't get confused (this is a pretty long thread).

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

Yep. I will get specs I have on sheet in shop tomorrow. Was VERY close to what HotelCali had specd. The track was crap. I did however move seat over to left more today as I was hitting lr tire with arm. That will obviously change many things and I plan to rescale this Friday or before. I will keep everyone posted as I appreciate the help.

Ok AFTER moving my seat left and raising back up a tad (10.5" from axle top) Im close on all numbers except the left side which is obviously higher now. Here they are currently and have no run time on this setup:

WITHOUT 10lbs ballast in nose

Front 43.3%
Left - 61.6%
Cross - 64.9%

WITH 10 lbs ballast in nose

Front - 45.1%
Left - 62%
Cross - 64.7%

My LAST WEEKEND numbers were with 10lbs ballast in nose and were

Front - 45.5%
Left - 58%
Cross - 65.8%

Castor is 7 on left and 10 on right. I have not got to camber yet. I have 2.5 washers UNDER RF spindle and all of them on top of LF spindle. I have 1.5" stagger in front but cant get the LR to shrink yet (well do more on it this Friday) so it is 1" stagger in rear.

I know this kart can be fast. It has a bad fast engine but no handling yet so its disappointing as of now. Need to find this sweet spot soon. I appreciate all the help. If you need motor help let me know...lol.

How far is the seat from the steering post? You should be able to get nose weight higher without adding weight to the front. If the seat is right you may have to move both spindles up equally to increase nose, unless the axle is in the wrong holes. Can you post the 4 corner weights?

It's hard for me to believe the left rear pill isn't upside down. With all the washers on the LF down you should have less cross than that. I think there is an axle placement issue.

Wth are these pills? I got a slot that moves rear axle up and down it appears. I could be wrong.

LF-85
RF-102
LR-175
RR-62

Dont judge. Im tall and a little big boned...lol. From my beer days and after a kid...hahaha.

What I dont understand is I was 415 total last week. Think my scales are/were off. I calibrated with a 10lbs weight from Spoting goods store I bought last week. Some were not on "0" after I adjusted with weight.

Seat and pill position have got to be off. That kart needs more nose as has already been stated. I NEVER had trouble getting the nose weight like it was suppose to be on my Icon with me 6'1" and 210lbs+.

Very important......when you raise the back of the seat....are you rolling the ENTIRE seat or just raising the back while leaving the front mounted to the front sliders?

Wth are these pills? I got a slot that moves rear axle up and down it appears. I could be wrong.

LF-85
RF-102
LR-175
RR-62

Dont judge. Im tall and a little big boned...lol. From my beer days and after a kid...hahaha.

What I dont understand is I was 415 total last week. Think my scales are/were off. I calibrated with a 10lbs weight from Spoting goods store I bought last week. Some were not on "0" after I adjusted with weight.

Go here to watch the video for the pill location and how to install them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7e5t-DtvA

Go here to watch other stuff.

http://www.phantomchassis.com/instructional-videos.html

Has to be pills. I put your numbers into a kart simulator, the rear and left are really high.
44.1 front
61.32 left
65.33 cross

Has to be pills. I put your numbers into a kart simulator, the rear and left are really high.
44.1 front
61.32 left
65.33 cross
my spreadsheet comes up with exactly the same numbers.

One thing that caught my attention was; the LR is carrying 41.28% of the total kart weight. I don't know if that's good or bad but it's a lot higher than most setups I see. From your numbers I get 424 pounds total.

(Al Nunley)

Check the LR pill position first thing post back with how it is positioned. Also LR spacing is important with at kart. Spacing should be set from bearing to outside mounting surface of wheel hub. Can you send picture text?

Back