2019. 206 Rules are out .

I didn't get this either. If there are only a few of these old engines out there why not just let gradually fade away? A claiming rule could be also used if these engines have some hidden edge to gradually take them out of circulation.

I hear ya.
Do you guys race at the national level?
I'll bet there will be lots of races that will elect to allow the older engines.

For an engine that lasts as long as the LO 206 does i'd Start lobbying your racing organization.

Problem is most organizations have adopted the full Briggs ruleset which I feel is a smart idea. No matter where we go or what organization we run, we know what the rules will be. Only issues we ever run up against is what fuel to run or what tires and/or bodywork. I think lobbying Briggs to rescind this issue would be the smarter solution. If every organization modifies their 206 rules to fit their needs and customers requests, the 206 might as well go they way of other engine packages. 5 tracks within 100 miles with 5 different sets of rules would not make for a good solution. And I'm sure Briggs would not like this to happen either.

Hopefully Dave Klaus is reading this and would like to comment. See, I'm already lobbying Briggs.

I see your point but I don't think he visits this site much any more. He has his own site so I think you would have a better chance of getting his attention there.
Good luck.

So, the eligibility of the engines with "non-orange" seals after Jan. 1, 2020 is visually identified solely by the color of the aluminum wire? Do all of the seals with the black anodized ends (of the seal body) have a black wire? In short, I have 3 engines all with the seal body that has the black ends. My problem is because of the accumulation of some oil and dirt, I really can't tell if they have black or silver wires--it is darkish. Any additional insight would be appreciated.

The biggest problem I have with LO206 Rules continues and I don't even build or run 206 but if I did I can tell you I would show up with a motor built to the hilt in the valves.

a. Exception
– Valve maintenance (valve job). Valve seats must remain with the factory specification of 30 and 45 degree angles only. Valve seats of additional angles and/or angles not comparable to the factory stock of 30 and 45 degrees are not permitted. Grinding of valve stem or excessive material removal prohibited.

I know the intent of the rules but having read the rulebook multiple times its apparent that this entire area isn't even gray its strait up allowed. The wording in this section hurts my head, Valve Maintenance and more particularly "Valve Job" universally in motorsport without specifications means do what you want. There is no specification listed on the cut of the valve, The Valve is clearly referenced as well because you cannot grind on the valve stem. However, there is absolutely nothing said about the cut of the valve, Ginding the head of the valve etc.. etc..

The only restriction seems to be that you cannot remove excessive material, That as a person putting a motor together that really doesnt clear it up for me. However, if I run for money in a race let say its $10,000 to win. I am going to make the argument that excessive material is actually defined in the rule book by minimum weights because what else would it be based on? The rule book does not actually say or define and when we go to court I will win in the eyes of a Jury every time and that is bad for clubs. This is a bad section in the rule book and it should be addressed.

Also, the only other line
Valve seats of additional angles and/or excessive material removed when compared to the factory stock is prohibited

This line is equally weak how am I to know whats excessive compared to factory stock? You don't define a single margin, angle (on valve), weight, tolerance.

It is a sad excuse for a nation level rule book for a spec motor in my opinion.

DrBoost,

Read the rules a little closer...........the below spec controls grinding the valve face and is an old WKA ANimal spec from 10+ years still being used..

Intake valve
Height from angle of valve face to top of the valve
.057 inches minimun
Tech Tool A26

Exhaust valve
Height from angle of valve face to top of the valve
.060 inches minimum
Tech Tool A27

Steve

Steve, there is still a ton of things that tool will not measure the height that tools sits from the 45 I assume because it doesn't even say how it needs to pass inspection other then height from angle of fave face to top of valve. Secondly, as I move the 45 into the margin its going to increase that height not decrease it. The valve is not subject to any single cut requirement. They list an exemption and then don't define it.. COME ON MAN

I am not wrong the rule book is poorly written.

On the very first page of the rules it states in bold letters that
"UNLESS THESE RULES STATE THAT YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CANNOT DO IT"

5. Things That Are NOT Permit
b. Addition or subtraction of material in any form or matter.
d. Modification or machining of any parts in order to bring them to stated minimum/maximum specification, (or for ANY reason)

In other words if you grind the nitrate coating off the exhaust valve it's a dead giveaway that you have machined it.

I agree you need to read and understand the rules better, "If it does not say you can, you cannot" No materials is allowed to be removed unless specified. the tech tools specify size , angle and cut of valve and face. Parts can also be compared to known stock part, it is as clear as can be stated. Money or non money race a competent scrutineer will be able to prove the part is out of specification. If you did something to the valve that could not be detected by the existing inspection process you did nothing to improve performance you simply wasted your time or money.

I see the man's point on the valves.
As a tech man, I prefer measurements (go, no-go, etc.) Anytime you start "comparing to known stock parts" it becomes a personal interpretation. Give me a measurement to go by and it's either right or wrong.
The "If it does not say you can, you cannot," statement as well as the Sid White rule, only keep the honest guys honest. It will not stop guys from working gray areas where they will.
I think over-all, the rules are very well thought out and obviously have been written around the parameters of the engine (as produced.) It's also important to recognize that there has NOT been a need for dozens of rule changes, additions, etc...simply some clarifications that make identifying problems in the field more clear. That's in large part due to the consistency of which the parts are produced (ie no light valves, new heads, etc. to deal with.)
I'd agree that the valves and seats part of the rules can be spelled out / tightened up some (and possibly will be in the future.) Defining the width of the 30* relief would be a good start. Then we'll all be complaining about having to purchase another tech tool. It's still not nearly as bad as the clone world! :)

I might be wrong and tell me if I am (I can take it). LOL To me, the Lo 206 is designed and rules written around the fact that the ordinary guy can rebuild and setup his head and carb. Cut his own seats when needed,(with proper tools) lap valves, set floats/drop etc and be competitive. If he has to be afraid of cutting the seats too deep/too shallow to be illegal then it seems he would have to take this to a builder to make sure of legality. I thought things were simple.

You are correct, Gab507.
If you have specific measurements, then anyone with the correct tools can measure to make sure everything is kept legal.

Hint...you don't want deep and wide seats anyhow. ;)

On the very first page of the rules it states in bold letters that
"UNLESS THESE RULES STATE THAT YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CANNOT DO IT"

5. Things That Are NOT Permit
b. Addition or subtraction of material in any form or matter.
d. Modification or machining of any parts in order to bring them to stated minimum/maximum specification, (or for ANY reason)

In other words if you grind the nitrate coating off the exhaust valve it's a dead giveaway that you have machined it.

There is no mention of nitrate coating, further my comments are about the "exception" which it list valve job without specifics. Also, it says I can do a valve job in that section leading to my belief it's legal so long as I follow the guidelines.

DR Boost your quotation "However, there is absolutely nothing said about the cut of the valve, Ginding the head of the valve etc.. etc.. "

Why does this not cover it:
g. Unaltered B&S part #555552 (exhaust) and #555551 (intake) can be checked for appearance, weight, and dimensions. No machining, polishing, easing, or alterations of any kind allowed. Valve surface must remain as factory, with one single 45 degree face. No other additional angles allowed on any part of the valve. Tech Tool A22.

"This line is equally weak how am I to know whats excessive compared to factory stock? You don't define a single margin, angle (on valve), weight, tolerance."
Minimum Weight of IN. Valve 27.8 grams
Height from angle of valve face to top of the valve .057 inches minimum Tech Tool A26

Minimum Weight of Valve 27.2 grams
Height from angle of valve face to top of the valve .060 inches minimum Tech Tool A27

Things That Are NOT Permitted Modification to or the machining of any parts in order to bring them to stated minimum/maximum specification, (or for ANY reason).

The only option open to you is cutting the 30* excessively, narrowing the contact point, the argument arising as to what is excessive will become apparent. You can easily measure the 45 and compare it to stock, and the 30 is barely visible so once it becomes clearly defined and measurable there is your excessive.

DR Boost your quotation "However, there is absolutely nothing said about the cut of the valve, Ginding the head of the valve etc.. etc.. "

Why does this not cover it:
g. Unaltered B&S part #555552 (exhaust) and #555551 (intake) can be checked for appearance, weight, and dimensions. No machining, polishing, easing, or alterations of any kind allowed. Valve surface must remain as factory, with one single 45 degree face. No other additional angles allowed on any part of the valve. Tech Tool A22.

"This line is equally weak how am I to know whats excessive compared to factory stock? You don't define a single margin, angle (on valve), weight, tolerance."
Minimum Weight of IN. Valve 27.8 grams
Height from angle of valve face to top of the valve .057 inches minimum Tech Tool A26

Actually that does cover it, why in the hell did my first 10 searches not reveal that under cylinder head. I searched the part number in the rules and was able to locate it..

Well, that covers the valve rule but putting it under cylinder head when there is a separate valve section doesn't make a ton of sense but I still should have found it.

Back