2019. 206 Rules are out .

...I would still like to see that 30* dimension spelled out. I've seen a lot of "questionable" seats, but without a definite measurement or exaggerated/excessive width I don't feel comfortable tossing them. What width is "excessive?"
I don't see anyone cutting a true second relief angle on the seat, but cleaning up that chamfer - sure. If they were cutting .050" wide, you bet that's an easy call (compared to known stock.) That's not what I'm talking about.
As a tech man, explaining to the competitor that a part "looks" illegal and then calling them on it for the appearance alone is a tough call when we're talking .001"s. And don't think that every little bit doesn't help. Again, a reason to spell out this dimension.

Maybe there's hope for next year. :)

It would be a simple statement for a minimum width on the 45* and easier to measure, The 30* could vary from the factory because it is so fine.

I have had people call me asking if their seal would be legal for 2020.
Hear is a picture of the Legal seal with the black wire for 2020
If you seal does not have the black wire in it it does not qualify.
If it is the current production Orange plastic seal it is also legal.
02-600x450.jpg

How many times has a block seal been cut to check the bottom end? Has anyone been to a race and have witnessed this?

How many times has a block seal been cut to check the bottom end? Has anyone been to a race and have witnessed this?

WHile I haven't cut the seal, I have degreed the cam and pulled the flywheel. What performance gain would you expect to find behind the seal if those things have been checked?

I'm confused the seal is the thing that's supposed to assure the block is legit.
cutting the seal would ruin that block for its intended use.
are you asking if cheating has been going on with the seal ?

Steve
I'm sure there are lots of people that would like you to elaborate about your previous answer.:)

What does the tech inspector do ?? Give you a DQ

What does the Racer do ?? Whine and cry and get out the credit card

What does the Retailer do ?? Sell you a short block:)

Michael, Have you had that happen or have you heard of that happening?
IMO if that "what if" were to happen the racer would have the full attention of the dealer that sold him that motor and Brigg's management team of the 206 program. I also bet if that became a common problem it would be heard about through out the 206 racing community and a solution to that problem would be solved.

Early in the 206 development Briggs had a "what if" problem with cams and I know when I and few other racers I heard of having the same problem were treated quite well with a new motor.
I bet that at the time Briggs was even helping out a few people that had caused that problem by using the wrong valve springs. Now we have a warning to people that doing so will cause motor damage or at least power loss.

Mike
I guess you didn't like my attempt to be humorous.
1. make sure the test has been done correctly by someone that knows what they are doing
2. make sure the test equipment is up to the task
I don't think a 6" degree wheel is big enough to get an accurate reading
I have seen way too many people do it incorrectly by taking the readings off the rocker arm or valve retainer!
The readings are to be taken by removing the rocker arm from the push rod and placing the indicator on the ball end of the push rod.

Rule: 28. Camshaft Profile Limits (measured at the push rod)
Push gently down on dial indicator stem to ensure that there is no lash when
push rods are going down.
NOTE: Due to the extended life of the engine, a single pƒoint on each lobe can be off by a
maximum of 2 degrees without issue, the exception being on the .006” check, both intake and exhaust.

If everything has been done correctly I would bet Bob has a phone number for you.
If not let me know.:)

Ha Ha Mike, Your "what ifs" stirred me a bit. Don't feel alone, I got more gray and fatter when I started bumping into Rotax Builder/sealer/dealers leasing $10,000.00 "sealed" motors.
Now I'm just glad that we have a bunch of heavy 206 users.

Jim,

I have never seen a cam degreed locally, and I would have to question a tech man if he did want to degree my engine, as the seal is intact, there should be no need to.

Mike

As a tech inspector, I have degreed the cams at events to prove that the seal has not been beat. There are always the stories that someone has beaten the seal. Quick cam profile will likely show is something has been done. I know what I would do to the cam to gain an advantage if I could and it would show up on a profile reading. With the tight profile requirements of the Briggs rules, not much to be gained within those specs.

I don't think you see it done locally because people don't have the equipment, don't know how to do it or don't want to take the time.
That may be a good thing.
" a man's got to know his limitations"
By who?
What Movie?

Back