35hp gx200, or 50hp gx390

I won the competition, but fell short of what I wanted to make.
This was my first time ever sending a engine out to another state to be dyno tested. What I later found out was that Brads dyno throws out low numbers. I only knew this "AFTER" other people tested their own engines and I got the news back.

Originally I already had bigger more powerful engines, but they have billet heads on them. So the rule for the challenge was "NO BILLET HEADS" which kinda ****ed me off because I'm the only guy that had a billet head and it made me feel like the rule was just for me only.

Anyway I went to my storage already had a short block from years back. The goal was to copy cat my BLUEDEVIL engine. Which makes 38hp on a local dyno. If I can copy cat this combo I knew it was unbeatable. The short block is pretty regular, 3 inch bore and ARC stroker crank. But the billet head flows 142cfm, so the trick was to make a "CAST" head flow as good as my billet. It took me about 2-3 months to finish this head, and I sent it to Brad to be flow tested. Magically the head flowed 146cfm, slightly better than my billet head.

So I then copied my BLUEDEVIL engine by getting the same cam, gas port, and extra ring groove the piston, same carburetor from Competion Carbs and even same exhaust tube diameters and length.

I started it up and it sound great, until I throttled it. It "BLEW UP" or at least I thought it did. So I called Brad and told him I'm not gonna make the challenge because I'm having issues. So I started looking for a hole in the block and didn't see any. Looking closely I seen the head wasn't bolted on, so I push the head down and had compression again. I found out the head blew away from the block, stripping out all the 4 head bolt threads. So I took the short block to the machine shop and retreaded the block to 3/8" course threads. Torque the head on 25 pounds and fired it up.

It sound good, so I hit the throttle a few times and the head stayed on the block. Put it in a crate and shipped it to Brad. Brad put it on his dyno and it was smoking and shaking. So he called me concerned that my engine may blow up. He told me the bad news and I told him don't worry. It's to late now, so run it as it. If it BLOWS IT BLOWS. Brad then offered to fix it, but he said if I fix it, then I would be disqualified. I said NO just run it. So he did. It ran badly, only getting 28.99hp. He then called me and told me that the good news is that the engine didn't blow up. But the bad news is that it only got 28.99hp. He then said, if it would have been 100% he thinks it could get 32-33hp on his dyno. I told him, don't worry about it I will fix it later, and this engine is to small for me anyway.

2 days later Barry hit me up and asked how did I do, and I told him not good. My engine ran crazy bad, because in my mind I was down 10hp from what it should be. Barry says I'm taking 3 engines, a stocker, a 3 inch stock stroke, and a 3 inch stroker. He then told me that he just dyno tested all his engines and the stocker made 12.5hp, the 3 inch made 36hp, and the 3 inch stroker made 38hp. So I said yeah you should win because 38hp is what I figured I had at first, but my engine didn't run good.

So another day passed and Barry hit me up ****ed off. I was like what happened? He says something is wrong with Brads dyno, my engines made 12hp, 27hp, and 28.7hp. When he told me this, I thought it was a joke he was playing on me. So I said "YEAH RIGHT?" he said, NO I'M SERIOUS his dyno is throwing out low numbers. I then said, well that kinda makes me feel better than. Because if your engine dyno tested a 38hp 2 days before you took it to Brads, and then you got 28.7hp. Then means my engine running badly would make at least 38hp on your dyno. So I did copy cat the combo correctly.

And the whole time I thought Barry was just joking with me. Then a month passed and Brad declared me the winner. So, now that I have had some extra time on my hands and found out what was wrong with my engine. I'm going to send Brad another 3 inch stroker to be tested, same combo but with a better cast head. The problem with my old engine was the head FLOWED TO MUCH for the cast material. First the head blew off from the block, then after I repaired that the head was bowing/flexing and letting oil into the combustion chamber. At the time I didn't know the limits of the stock casting until I went to far with it.

I had documented all these steps by taking pictures and video. New engine is being documented as wel.

I have ran just over 20.1 before, broke the crank and didn't rev high. Lowered it down to 16.1 and that seems to work great for my drag engines, but on my milder kart engines I like to keep it around 12.5.

The head on my challenge engine was tiny, but the piston didn't come up flush to the deck. Plus the copper spacer made the piston sit about .150" below the surface of the head at TDC

This is my First post on bobs .......yeaaaaaaahhhhh !!!!!!......I've made it now !!!!!....lol
Yea I'm doing a 460 now out of a 390...making close to hmmmmmm....50+ or more than that I hope ...all the best stuff..not dynod yet ...live in Boston ..need to get it put on the bike and bring it to robs dyno in October ....I have an appointment ...I have a you tube channel Paul's karts lifan 420 ...I'm actually going after the record ...if there is one let me know what it is ...1/8 th mike mini bike ...I'm going for cast head cast block record... no jr dragster engine ...lol....but yea I'm trying it all and spending the money ...just got the block welded today ...ready to build !!!!

Do you know what the record is ? Is the record separated into categories? Like cast head ? And like nr dragster style ? Or are they all lumped into big block ? Hmmmm....I'm hoping to break into the 7's ..just got a sponcor from a big name in the mini bike community...they sent me some prototype stuff to try out and some t shirts and stuff ...I'm going to try using a torque converter to get that nice gear ratio ,so it can pull all the way ...I love a torque converter on a big block ...they just seem like a beast ...well if anyone knows what I should be shooting for let me know ...I saw a video posted I think that had a 7.5 ish 1/8 th mile pass ...so I'll just start at beating that time ...also I don't know what engine was on that bike ....

Also just did the rod piston top and crank in that cryonheat /micro polish abrasion ...hope that helps ..and I'm also going to be running nitro at high mix rates ...anyone have experience with this ...as far as I see it if your limiting factor in an engine ,which is an air pump , is the amount of air it can possible take in ..well than the fuel is the key ..you can't add more gas because it will not , methanol is a big step closer , but the amount of nitro you can put in the engine is crazy ..2:1 ratio ...so I'll be running a bigger piston to wall clearance and rod to crank clearance for the heavier oil ...and down tuning the compression with head gaskets ...any other advice on that ? Nitro that is ??

Engine Challenge 3 year later and 33.19hp is reached By Johnny Myers in 2019 small block 310cc. So 35hp is on going myth. Congratulation

Where can you see the results of that challenge, it must have just happened.

this may help, I don't facebook.

Stout racing07

Stout racing07 is offline 4 Cycle Advanced User

Join Date:Oct 2013Location:190 Starlet Circle NE Cleveland, TN 37323Posts:257

Brad Hill's Small block dyno challenge:
Entry
open class $100.00
SA small carb $50.00 ( no epoxy ) AKRA or NKA rules
SA 390 carb $50.00 5 ft rule apply s

We will supply methanol and oil. ( we are looking for a sponsor for the oil )TBD

BSP engine $20.00 (DIY bring your just to see what it will produce )
Gas and oil provided

If you want to use your own oil it must be new unopened.

Go to facebook: small engine builders dyno challenge to get up dated list or participants.
Thanks
Lewis

Back