4.500 piston options

Lkerley

When going with a 4.500 rod is the wiseco 1990 piston the only option?Or is there piston that has 3 rings.

I think with the 4.500 rod, there is not enough room for a third ring above the wrist pin on a flathead briggs.
I thought this was correct . That link definatly shows it .
Thats about it . I havd used a dykes type ring but not on the 4.500 rod .

They are a thing of beauty!
79070EB6-8A50-4606-8F94-CFD4FD473F44.jpeg

You already have the rod ?
Rod or piston should be easy enough to come by .
No..still trying to take in the knowledge I'm getting from the pro's on here. I have almost everything to put it together other than rod and piston.i love Flatheads I have since the early 80's I love em.but would I be as good power wise and money wise if I went with a high lift worked over predator..I've got experience with flatheads but seeing ovaltech1's post I'm shaking a little.😎

It’s just clearance... trust me I’ve tore them apart and they weren’t nearly that pretty... just go a little at a time use a thin zip tie they are about .040. That crank that’s all cam clearance. You will just have to massage the cam lobes and the rod big end a bit for the rod to be happy.

Just be aware that the 4.475" rod is no longer supported by .590" c/h pistons....You can use the .565" c/h piston designed for the 4.5" rod, just have to mill the block to get your piston pop-up back where it needs to be.

Clearancing is just a matter of time. This is something to not take lightly. Take your time and get it right or you'll be in trouble. I would focus on the crank, rather than removing material from the cam lobes or the rod. Most new parts come clearanced plenty already...work on that crank to get it to roll over and not sacrifice the integrity of the rod.

Or....you can get a good small journal (.875") crank and rod, and your life will be made much easier -- except for the affording it part. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It’s just clearance... trust me I’ve tore them apart and they weren’t nearly that pretty... just go a little at a time use a thin zip tie they are about .040. That crank that’s all cam clearance. You will just have to massage the cam lobes and the rod big end a bit for the rod to be happy.

Is that a common clearance range to go by .040 min. Is there a maximum?

Back