Acetone instead of arcysol

First off you don't cut prep just to do so , you cut it because you feel at full strength it's to aggressive, the % age of how much you cut it is based on how much less potential grip you want from the prep your cutting
And in doing so you remember the acrysol helps the tire with absorbing it in , which with Burris 33s can end up a bad thing

First off you don't cut prep just to do so , you cut it because you feel at full strength it's to aggressive, the % age of how much you cut it is based on how much less potential grip you want from the prep your cutting
And in doing so you remember the acrysol helps the tire with absorbing it in , which with Burris 33s can end up a bad thing
Why is that a bad thing? Not disagreeing with you, prepping is still very new to me... just curious. Is getting the tire to absorb the prep, not the name of the game?

Naptha as stated above is the closest thing akin to Acrysol. Acrysol is a Kent brand name, acrysol from my understand contains some Naptha and some other things.

Acetone is not a substitute for acrysol.

Why is that a bad thing? Not disagreeing with you, prepping is still very new to me... just curious. Is getting the tire to absorb the prep, not the name of the game?
Remember Burris 33s are very chemical sensitive , No think of those Burris 33s as a Cake with Frosting on it , with the normal cake part being what 98% of the thickness of the Entire cake , With 33s you only want your prep to be the Frosting , Every time you wipe prep some gets into the cake and makes it more moist , you get to much of the cake to moist those tires will get Heavy number one and you'll loose roll speed , plus the moist cake will seep prep back out some and when your not spot on in your tire selection and you use a tire little to prepped up on at track that has gripped up better than you thought , that seepage of prep back to the surface will most likely cause the dreaded chemical slide and you'll be JUNK , and the use of Acrysol with 33s that cake gets to moist with prep much quicker with more chemical.
This will not happen to Maxxis tires because there a Synthetic Rubber .

Remember Burris 33s are very chemical sensitive , No think of those Burris 33s as a Cake with Frosting on it , with the normal cake part being what 98% of the thickness of the Entire cake , With 33s you only want your prep to be the Frosting , Every time you wipe prep some gets into the cake and makes it more moist , you get to much of the cake to moist those tires will get Heavy number one and you'll loose roll speed , plus the moist cake will seep prep back out some and when your not spot on in your tire selection and you use a tire little to prepped up on at track that has gripped up better than you thought , that seepage of prep back to the surface will most likely cause the dreaded chemical slide and you'll be JUNK , and the use of Acrysol with 33s that cake gets to moist with prep much quicker with more chemical.
he wont be running burris tires, maxxis and some time vegas

Acetone has a much much faster evaporation rate than what acrysol does, and thats the major difference. You dont want something that evaporates too fast, or too slowly.
Acrysol and Track Tac Kwik Dri have evaporation rates that work very well with most all preps, and at one time Speedy 500 worked but a bit more aggressive way.
Naptha VM&P has a fairly close evaporation rate, but does not work as well as acrysol.
Most any kart shop will carry acrysol, and most part trailers at the track has it.

he wont be running burris tires, maxxis and some time vegas
If when you say he means the op, I thought I remembered him running Burris 33s in the past , or at least asking questions about them , so I included the heads up with Burris 33s , plus that heads up is for the other readers that do run Burris, the rest of my post is info reminder why and say the purpose of cutting prep in general .
If when you say he means Bigeasyebo I take it as he's asking why the difference , because he's thinking one would want that outside prep being wiped getting into the tire deeper is good thing with every tire , so I simply answered his question .
In posting what you have here is just giving me info that will help me to know going forward.
Thank you for that info and appreciate you pointing it out.

Most of this has already been covered:

Acetone is a very aggressive softening agent when used on rubber. It evaporates extremely quickly and dries the rubber out quickly.
Acrysol is much less harsh, doesn't soften nearly as much, and evaporates considerably slower.
(Similar parallel: Think the difference between Brake Clean & Carb Clean.)

Most kart shops have Acrysol in stock. Trac Tac sells their own version of it.
Naptha VM&P is similar, but not the same. It would make a substitute in a pinch but don't expect the same results.
Acrysol is a Kent Products brand and can be ordered through their website.

As far as cutting other preps with Acrysol, and why....that's a whole other discussion.

If you can't find Acrysol locally, give us a call - we can get some right out to you.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thank you, very informative. Is there a way to determine if your cake (tires) is too moist? For instance, when I started racing a year ago, I bought several sets of Burris tires from someone, before I had even heard about prep. No clue what they used, or how much. Also, after finding out about prep, and purchasing a few sets of new Burris tires, I probably drenched the tires in way to much prep for the rest of the season. Every weekend is a learning experience, but sometimes it seems like the more I think, the less I know. Wondering if I have a bunch of moist cakes, which may be causing some of my issues at the track, regardless of the adjustments I am making?

Thank you, very informative. Is there a way to determine if your cake (tires) is too moist? For instance, when I started racing a year ago, I bought several sets of Burris tires from someone, before I had even heard about prep. No clue what they used, or how much. Also, after finding out about prep, and purchasing a few sets of new Burris tires, I probably drenched the tires in way to much prep for the rest of the season. Every weekend is a learning experience, but sometimes it seems like the more I think, the less I know. Wondering if I have a bunch of moist cakes, which may be causing some of my issues at the track, regardless of the adjustments I am making?
First question would be which preps and how much did you use? Goat? How much time between runs on them? What did you wash your tires with? For my race team, we tend to use prep sparingly on 33s. Meaning that we wipe for track conditions at the beginning of the night and slightly adjust throughout the night. But we are not a typical team as we don't wipe prep during the week. Most of the time a prep wiped trackside is all we need but it also depends on what part of the country and your competition as to whether you need to be more aggressive with it.

Sounds like you may be onto something as far as figuring out some of your Issues , It would be much easier for me to help you per phone conversation , 717 712 3437 Ken Text first give me your user name here , So when you call I can Identify who's calling and know it's not a Solicitor calling .

Along with the conversation. If I feel the prep we are using is close but maybe a little too strong, what can I cut it with?

Along with the conversation. If I feel the prep we are using is close but maybe a little too strong, what can I cut it with?
Numerous ways depending on how aggressive it is , If it's an Aggressive prep you could cut with a Medium based prep if you only needed a very slight cut , you could cut with a Hard Track to cut slightly more , You could cut with Hot Lap which is probably the most mixed product alreay in all prep anyway , you could cut with Acrysol .

Back