Acetone instead of arcysol

There's petroleum distillates in quite a few things. Add one chemical its another substance. IE: acrysol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404-124621.png
    Screenshot_20240404-124621.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 12
We use mineral spirits daily in one of our parts washers here in the shop. It is not the same as Acrysol. Doesn't smell the same, doesn't look the same, doesn't dry the same, doesn't clean the same. Since we go through a fair amount of Acrysol, I thought I'd try it in the parts cleaner too. Won't make that mistake again. I've also sourced several substitutes for Acrysol over the years due to rising cost of genuine Kent Acrysol, and although you can find "similar" chemical mixes, none are quite the same.

A mixture of Naptha, Xylene, and Coleman Camp Fuel makes a pretty good substitute for Acrysol too. Notice in the Acrysol MSDS lists "Distillates, Petroleum, Light Distillate" (CAS number 68410-97-9) as 35-45%. The MSDS for Coleman Camp Fuel lists Light Hydrotreated Distillate (CAS number 68410-97-9) as 100%. Granted that CAS number covers a fairly broad spectrum but a 3:3:1 mixture of Naptha, Coleman Fuel, and Xylene will get you real close to Acrysol.

Attachments

• ColemanFuel-MSDS.jpg
    ColemanFuel-MSDS.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 7
Back