Adjustable jet Legal in AKRA carb?

Dang how did I miss this?

Page 48.

Valve Train: Stock valve cover only with any stock configuaration gasket, sealer allowed.

Hal as that rule is written it doesn't specify that any changes to the stock cover are allowed. Including painting.

Clearly not any type of performance gain. However, it is still up to the individual to correspond with the tech official they will be dealing with.

I personally wouldn't DQ an iindividual for it.

UNLESS (And you know there had to be LOL) it was painted and polished and extremely brilliant chrome color and had a light affixed to it so that it reflected the beam of that light in a direction that could be determined was meant to shine upon the eyes of any competitor who may be behind them; causing temporary blindness to said competitor. Now that would be a clear Spirit and Intent violation. LOL

Of course that was not intended to be an actual scenario and was meant to add a lilttle humor to and otherwise dreary subject matter. :)
Did 'they' delete/remove the 'No coatings of any type' b/s (sori)....IDK (no RB...yet!) I prefer powder over chrome anyhow...:):) Really...that is/was a b/s rule and I do hv to admit too forcing the use of it in a little local situation a couple yrs back where I reflected back too my Dad's philosophy of "Don't get mad, get even!" The Director was pi**ed becuz he had too enforce it as he ALWAYs proclaimed that 'The Book' is the Rule! I laughed all the way home and shame on me!!

I think with a tillotson needle it will be about impossible to tune it. how about trying a brass briggs needle? Or re-tapering the tillotson needle so the overall diameter of the needle is smaller

Dale....can you elaborate a bit on the Brigg's needle? Sounds 'much' ez'er than reworking the 'tillotson'....maybe! jst curious...

Dang how did I miss this?

Hal as that rule is written it doesn't specify that any changes to the stock cover are allowed. Including painting.

UNLESS (And you know there had to be LOL) it was painted and polished and extremely brilliant chrome color and had a light affixed to it so that it reflected the beam of that light in a direction that could be determined was meant to shine upon the eyes of any competitor who may be behind them; causing temporary blindness to said competitor. Now that would be a clear Spirit and Intent violation. LOL

Of course that was not intended to be an actual scenario and was meant to add a lilttle humor to and otherwise dreary subject matter.

I gather your senerio wud pertain too the 'Laser' that I was affixing into my valve cover then....as well? :)

This thread bears an uncanny resemblance to the piston rules thread... I LOVE IT :)

And I also agree that as clear as some people may think rules are, that doesn't mean they are clear to someone else.

The last sentence in your post, was exactly what i was trying to get REBSFAN to understand, not everyone views or comprehends things the same way as he, I, or you do. Plain and simple

I never said anything about this previously but someone said they could reach over and adjust it while on the track, I wonder how that could possibly work, it would be so close to the rear tire I would fear losing a hand, and to be able to get the accuracy required it must not be a very demanding track.

AL it states .042" nN-GO where is the question?

I assumed when he said adjusting it on the track, that he meant during a caution. You do sometimes see guys reaching over to their engine during cautions and doing things. Not sure what they were doing, whether adjusting the throttle or what, but iv seen them do it before. It wouldnt be hard on a caution to lean over and tweak a handle under the carb just a hair.

The last sentence in your post, was exactly what i was trying to get REBSFAN to understand, not everyone views or comprehends things the same way as he, I, or you do. Plain and simple

What you fail to understand is that there is no need for you to get me to understand anything. I have a clear understanding of the rules. That's as far as my need to know goes. If you or anyone else comes into the tech shed not having a clear understanding of any particular rule, it has no outcome on the end result. If you go to court over a violation of a law, the judge will tell you, "Ingorance of the law is no excuse". Same principle.....Plain and Simple.

It's clear we agree to disagree.

You conform to the believe that someone can be easily confused by the wording; or lack there of in the rules. And that that person can make a mistakes based on that wording. I conform to the belief that that same person has ever available opportunity to clear up any and all confusion so as to not come into the tech with anything remotely iffy having been done. It's all in their hands. If they do not take advantage of learning by the time they reach the tech shed, they are at fault. Plain and Simple.

I searched thru my Yami inventory and found a 'new' Walbro Lo-spd needle that 'appears' too have a 4-40 thd (.128 dia) and a 12-15* included taper terrminating into a .104 dia shank. I'm thinking (for Alky) this needle coupled w/ abt a 2mm (.078) dia jet w/a small 45* chamfer cud/might be just what the doctor ordered...with a flex cable...of course. What's 'ur' thoughts?

What you fail to understand is that there is no need for you to get me to understand anything. I have a clear understanding of the rules. That's as far as my need to know goes. If you or anyone else comes into the tech shed not having a clear understanding of any particular rule, it has no outcome on the end result. If you go to court over a violation of a law, the judge will tell you, "Ingorance of the law is no excuse". Same principle.....Plain and Simple.

It's clear we agree to disagree.

You conform to the believe that someone can be easily confused by the wording; or lack there of in the rules. And that that person can make a mistakes based on that wording. I conform to the belief that that same person has ever available opportunity to clear up any and all confusion so as to not come into the tech with anything remotely iffy having been done. It's all in their hands. If they do not take advantage of learning by the time they reach the tech shed, they are at fault. Plain and Simple.

I agree to disagree, dont really want to keep arguing with you. I dont believe i am the only one who believes that not everyone will understand or comprehend the rules the same way, that is all. Im not saying either of us are wrong, you are clearly right in what your saying i agree with you, i was just saying there are some people out there who will learn the hard way because of a simple misunderstanding of a rule.

I agree to disagree, dont really want to keep arguing with you. I dont believe i am the only one who believes that not everyone will understand or comprehend the rules the same way, that is all. Im not saying either of us are wrong, you are clearly right in what your saying i agree with you, i was just saying there are some people out there who will learn the hard way because of a simple misunderstanding of a rule.

And I agree with you as well. There has never been a doubt that people have different comprehension levels of the given rule set. My point on the matter has been and always will be.....no-one ever has to learn the hard way. An explanantion is always available IF they seek will seek it out. I can't imagine ever having lost a race because I didn't understand a rule.

I will say that when I sat at the flow bench in the flathead days putting together carbs, there may have been a butterfly or two that made it in a few based on a "Grey area". ;)

Maybe where the confusion starts is that some people, "want to believe" that the rules say something they don't. I've seen that many times.
The 2 cycle engine has to be significantly easier to tec, yet I would see, many times, people trying to convince others that the rules said something they didn't. Like extra counter weight in the flywheel. You would be amazed at the arguments they could come up with to justify the extra counterweight. In my mind that's not even close to a gray area.

As a former corporate trainer for many years I was taught by various organizations that when providing policies and procedures you must present them in a way that a 3rd grader can understand them or else a large percentage of people will not comprehend. You can be teaching about rocket science or brain surgery, but the actual procedure needs to be spelled out very specifically in order to eliminate most questions or confusion. This process served me well for the most part, however you would be surprised at how many people can't even comprehend 3rd grade procedures.

For those who disagree with this, do some research on the average reading level of the average American. Better yet, watch professional or college athlete interviews on ESPN. Most of these people have college degrees and cannot put a complete sentence together.

Sorry I have not followed this post. I could have cleared this up in the beginning. The adjustable jet was developed for the modified engines. It is listed in my mod carb page. It was never intended for stock classes. I will be at the shows if anyone want's to talk to me about it.
Lewis Stout
Stout Racing Engines
423-584-663

I am more annoyed when unrelated sales pitches for junk products invade every aspect of our life. This same person is probably the one making the anoying phone calls.

Back