Akra official announcement

So Bill , As I read your statements Your going to take money that the sponsor gives and portions of the entry fee from the club or promoter and give it back to the racer. And the clubs have agreed to this?
You can provide insurance to me as a road racer that is the same coverage or better than is currently availible. May I see it?

For reference for a decade I believe Badger was WKA's number 1 insurance purchaser, 5-6 years ago we switched. Coverage every bit as good, more coverage on some of the other things, and much cheaper overall. Every year we invite reps from all 3 ins. companys big in our world, no one else was close in coverage or cost.
For the record, I have no part in any insurance thing, I also am no longer involved with Badger in any way, but the ins. move was a good one for us

Bill, would you kindly post AKRA's Tech Manual, class structure, race group assignments, and daily schedules; so the competitors and clubs can have a look at what AKRA is offering the road race community.
Thanks is advance.
Clark Sr.

Good question Robby and Clark, I have yet to see the 2015 WKA Tech manual, and the season is fast approaching..

Speedwayman, your thought has merit and I appreciate your opinion, but I'm for open tires. Spec tires (may) lead to price gouging- regardless of what prizes and awards may be returned. I get better satisfaction and service from my tire brand as is, knowing they are working for my business, satisfaction and safety. I cringe when we have to mount up spec tires when we go sprint racing. Come to think of it, can't recall getting anything back in return from that. Except lots of receipts from buying spec tires.

I got 99 free tires after one WKA STARS race in 2001. Bridgestone YHC's, mostly, and didn't pay a dime in club racing tires for quite a while after....but tires were open. Had I been forced to go Burris or other, I'd have paid a lot more. Less rules the better, as far as I'm concerned -- less to police, less to protest, more options for the racer.

Spec tires on Road Racing would have to be done on a per class basis.

Having organized a spec tire series for F125's (laydowns and Super Kart chassis) in the past, it will be a hard sell to ALL road race classes for sure. We only required the spec tire for the first year then it was open. Ofcourse the Tire brand sponsored the series and offered a contingency package you just couldn't turn down after that 1st year. Free tires are free tires boys, and if they are fast to boot.....well, enough said.

I know I have seen the Unilli brand some years ago in a concession kart application when I worked for an indoor place here in Detroit. That was quite a long time ago though, no idea what they are doing these days.

If they can provide ALL widths & sizes in 5 and 6 inch then I wouldn't care either way about a spec tire.

They must have a tire speed rated for 150mph and more.....or someone willing to test them, for the masses and prove the saftey and reliability. Super Kart guys are not going to be open to a spec tire rule. Especially if it isn't speed rated.

RPM

Spec tires ARE NOT the way to go. It helps NO ONE but the importer / retailer of the tire. They can say they are "giving back" all they want, it just will not wash. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE does anything involving money unless there is something in it for them. NO ONE PERIOD.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

The only reason that a Tire Supplier seeks out and works so hard to be the sole supplier is that they will have a captive market and is ASURED that they will have a minimum base sales number at the price they have specified, thereby insuring their margin on the product.

If ANY supplier gives back it can be 100% assured that it is only a small portion of the profit that they already written off as a cost of doing business.

The question is, what does the racer get, more tires that they can only run in one place? A rebate that MAY offset a PORTION of the capital invested to run the race or the series?

No spec tires... Good to use Hoosiers, bridgestones or maxxis when needed... Freedom! Locked in most of the time on dirt and I hate to see rr go the same way...

I can't see spec tires in road racing. I remember when sticky tires first came out years ago (IIRC, Bridgestones) and lots of people ran out and bought a few sets. It then turned out that slightly harder tires were faster overall in a long race.

We are in a good competitive situation in RR with multiple manufacturers competing with compounds and pricing. Nothing to "fix'......

John

Lets hope all racers can weigh in on that question...not just a few. Just curious would you still feel that way if 50% of the tire sales went back to the racers in awards? Hmmmmmmmmmm let me re think that!

If you wany spec tires, run a spec sprint class. Historically, there have been tire companies that offered tires as contingencies WITH brand competition and the choices of which brand in the hands of the KARTER and not a brand delegation by the organization/tire manufacturer. Answer me this....... Why would a tire manufacturer want to ever improve their product if they are in fact the only product? Hmmmmmm.... Let me rethink THAT!

Gene,

Does this mean you are a part of AKRA? Do you have a financial stake in it? Employed along with Van? Trying to figure out the relationships here, that might have led you to move Dart Kart club away from being a WKA National event which I believe would draw more racers to the event. I remember when DKC held races that were not WKA National events a few years ago, that were not financially successful.

Dale Coffey

Back