Akra official announcement

New tracks aren't always looking to negotiate. It comes down to how much pent-up demand there is for the facility. Case in point: COTA. New facility, but also a coveted one, hence expensive.

Makes me think of a road course that was built in/around Starke, Florida. Haven't heard much about it lately. Nice facility with multiple layouts. Hmmmm.....

Although there is a frontpage release about Dart Kart Club and their sanctioned tracks becoming AKRA members. The flier in post #83 is the dirt/Unilli flier.

The American Kart Racing Association (AKRA)
is proud to announce the addition of the Dart Kart Club and their sanctioned tracks for 2015 to its membership ranks.

Dart Kart Club, is one of the nation’s oldest and largest Road Racing clubs in the country. These high-speed racers compete against the clock as much as they do each other.

Additional details, including their 2015 season schedule, will be announced soon.

As a 3rd year Karter who brought my son to all 14 WKA road races in 2014 (and competed in most as well), I'm still new to WKA and haven't seen a lot to complain about (other than being a lot poorer since this time last year). Sure was fun way to blow $20K though!

What we need are more people who will commit to a full season (or close to it), which makes the classes more competitive, and gets the entry counts up. I'm not sure what can be done to do this with the ever-increasing track costs and resulting entry fees, but what attracted me to the series and made me go to all events was 1) Racing on big name tracks (VIR, MidOhio, Daytona, Summit) that Indy, Tudor, and Porsche Club also race at; 2) The idea of a national championship for many different road racing classes (my son is WKA Sprint, I'm Leopard); 3) Excellent support from clubs like WKC and DKC, and 4) End of year prizes and trophies by WKA that made the hard work and travel worthwhile. So bottom line, if AKRA can offer me that, I'm in!

But let's get real - now that DKC is flexing their muscles and going with AKRA, how many people (like me) are considering not travelling to Grattan or Mid-Ohio this year? I loved those tracks, and I think DKC did an awesome job of being the host club, but the decision to sever the relationship with WKA really has me thinking twice about dropping $1000+ per weekend, given that there will be no WKA points given for those races. If there's a way to have these be WKA-sanctioned, I might consider going.

This just seems like we're taking a step backward and doing an Indy/CART-type split, and I can't help but think that everyone will lose something in the end. I hope not, and I for one will try to support WKC, DKC, SKC, WKA, and WKA as much as possible.

Comments from AKRA, DKC or WKA are welcome!

As dysfunctional as WKA has been for the past few years, I can't blame anyone for charting a new course. I also don't blame most of the WKA staff, who are simply trying hard to pull off whatever the top parties dictate... But poor leadership always has a cost... Not sure why anyone would choose not to run a track they want to run at simply because the party running the show changes -- it's a capitalist country, folks -- competition 'aint a bad thing. Decide where you want to run, and show up accordingly. Just my $0.01...

As a 3rd year Karter who brought my son to all 14 WKA road races in 2014 (and competed in most as well), I'm still new to WKA and haven't seen a lot to complain about (other than being a lot poorer since this time last year). Sure was fun way to blow $20K though!

What we need are more people who will commit to a full season (or close to it), which makes the classes more competitive, and gets the entry counts up. I'm not sure what can be done to do this with the ever-increasing track costs and resulting entry fees, but what attracted me to the series and made me go to all events was 1) Racing on big name tracks (VIR, MidOhio, Daytona, Summit) that Indy, Tudor, and Porsche Club also race at; 2) The idea of a national championship for many different road racing classes (my son is WKA Sprint, I'm Leopard); 3) Excellent support from clubs like WKC and DKC, and 4) End of year prizes and trophies by WKA that made the hard work and travel worthwhile. So bottom line, if AKRA can offer me that, I'm in!

But let's get real - now that DKC is flexing their muscles and going with AKRA, how many people (like me) are considering not travelling to Grattan or Mid-Ohio this year? I loved those tracks, and I think DKC did an awesome job of being the host club, but the decision to sever the relationship with WKA really has me thinking twice about dropping $1000+ per weekend, given that there will be no WKA points given for those races. If there's a way to have these be WKA-sanctioned, I might consider going.

This just seems like we're taking a step backward and doing an Indy/CART-type split, and I can't help but think that everyone will lose something in the end. I hope not, and I for one will try to support WKC, DKC, SKC, WKA, and WKA as much as possible.

Comments from AKRA, DKC or WKA are welcome!

I don't speak for or represent any of the above organizations. However, I have been involved in the process as a DKC board member and a WKA committee representative. Mid Ohio and Grattan were run by DKC, there is little involvement from WKA. Many of us have a lot of skin involved in making WKA successful. And it can be a painful decision when you have to split from something you have invested in. However, the point comes where DKC has to make a decision for DKC. These local clubs are the ones who have to sign the contract with the track and pay regardless of what happens. If the sanctioning body is providing the insurance and marketing for the event, each is an impact on the bottom line that allows the local club to pay the track and ensure you can come back. If the insurance cost is too much or the marketing is not enough, the club cannot afford to sign the contract guaranteeing $50k+ to the track for rental.
You are right that we need more people at these events. However, there has been no effort at the national level to make that happen.
I am just a racer who likes to race at these tracks. And while I am a member of the DKC board, I really just want to ensure more 4 cycle guys can race so I can have people to race with.

Disclosure: I have never been paid to work a race event that I was participating in, but I have worked at plenty of them.

Good Luck to all, we are definitely in a transition period!
Jack

Thanks for the info Capt Jack, you guys have a great club and I hope to attend more of your events. That Leighninger dude isn't a bad chap at all, so you guys are certainly going in the right direction - Cheers!

Jack,

Thank you for your thoughts and comments. It is our sole purpose to offer clubs viable options to what they currently have available to them, some of those options are considerable savings on insurance fees and sanction fees. Also a simplified rules package that will allow racers to utilize some of their older equipment and hopefully get some racers back to the track who can't afford new equipment, but still want to race.
We also want to put more money back in the clubs and racers hands so they can improve their year end awards and grow their overall programs. We also feel that it is important to step back and allow the Clubs to manage their programs that best suits their needs.

Thank You,

Bill McCutcheon
AKRA, Inc

I have been involved in a few things with WKA over the past 30 years, Alot of good people have been or still are involved with it. I didn't always agree, but I won't fault any of them,
I think the biggest problem is they are still saddled with the trustee system designed into their bylaws back in the beginning. Perhaps a good idea back in the 70's but IMO the root of the inability to solve the problems they faced over the last 10 or so years. Look around the trustee or board system is not used in much karting anymore.

Heres my question. I do not know Mr Ferris, never met him, never heard of him until a month ago. I do understand how pointless that statement is, we travel in different circles, I'm sure he doesn't know me either, which IS the point.
So while he may be very knowledgeable concerning M Cup, my question is what does he really know about RR'ing, 4 cycle, ovals or G cup where my interests are? This of course also goes for all the 2 cy reps we have out there. Those are the people that make the calls
Now God knows never in my life have I had a disagreement with Van LOL, but I know Van has been there, he's been through it, he did the work and he's been through the same problems. I honestly never have had a dis agreement with Bill and I know he's one of us also

WKA has had a decade at least to solve some of the problems, because (again IMO) of the complexities of the Trustee system, It can't respond fast enough or without all the battles and egos that plague a board system, so things just sometimes can't be fixed. To me the proof of this is there still hasn't been a statement from WKA, the board system can't respond fast enough to be effective.
Good call Dart, I think its the future

What is really surprising is the WKA president still has not come out with a letter from the President to explain what the heck is going on at wka........now that is real leadership. wka's days are limitied now that is obvious.

The worst example the World of racing is FIA and their karting sanctioning group, CIK. Unable to listen to drivers, teams, manufacturers, etc. Now in most of the World you have no option, FIA chapters are actually named by each country´s Governments. Now here in the USA the risk I can see is having alternatives to WKA that might finish making same mistakes WKA makes but without the experience or history WKA has. I say this with all respect for other organizations, it has worked well on dirt, but Road Racing is a different story. It is not easy to lower entry fees when tracks charge those huge amounts to rent. JMO

I wouldn't expect RR entry fees to drop. At least not right away, if at all!!!

The "AKRA" is no more "running" the events than WKA does.....they "sanction". In other words they insure, colaborate, promote and market.

Cheaper Ins. will provide the Club or Clubs the opportunity to take a larger Gross Benifit from the events given they produce the "same or larger overall participation". That could, eventually, if the savings and participation were BOTH larger, afford the opportunity for lower entry (etc) fees.

But don't count on it! ;)

In reality, it will make the Clubs more solvent and raise their ability to get.......wait for it.......BIG TIME CIRCUITS. At worst more dates at place we all like and attend already.

Imagine that, Clubs making money and the Karter gettiing some choices.

As much as anyone I'd like to see $50, $60 or $75 fees but we would need 1K entries like back in those days too.

I'm very curious to see how this season takes shape.

RPM

Back