AKRA Official Statement

billmcfast

Site Supporter
From the Office of AKRA
2/25/2016​

This statement is in response to the most recent events and the heightened level of awareness for the need to implement more stringent safety measures. Because of a situation/accident that occurred this past weekend at a speedway dirt event in Georgia we are making the following statements. First and foremost we want to join with all racers in praying for a complete and speedy recovery for Andy Ward. We will certainly have the entire Ward family in our continued thoughts and prayers.

At this point it appears that the primary concern of the racers and the racing community is the need the slow our Junior drivers down, we at AKRA share in that concern. We have always supported our associated tracks in their efforts that pertain to safety issues at their facilities. With respect to the current class structures as to ages, weights, mandated small pipe with silencer, and size of required Restrictor plates for each applicable class we have always instructed our tracks to stand firm on these requirements. These requirements are the maximum requirements for each of these groups. We have never nor will we ever encourage our tracks to allow racers to move up to higher age bracket of competition as to their respective age group if they do not comply. However, we have always supported our tracks when they chose to impose more stringent restrictions on their racers if they felt the need to slow their racers down due to track conditions or track configuration. Again these class brackets are the minimum restrictions placed on each category. We have and will always encourage our tracks to impose additional restrictions on the racers when track conditions and track configurations mandate the need for the safety of their racers.

We will continue to monitor these concerns and implement appropriate regulations where and when needed. There are other areas beyond age and restrictor plates that need to be revisited, the number of classes in a given race day( kids don’t need to be racing at 3am), stricter control by race officials, better and more effective pre tech at events just to name a few. Below are two options that we would suggest utilizing in the interim to help insure the safety of your Junior/All drivers while we review any needed changes for the future.

Option One:
The Jr. 3 class should run the Purple Plate (the current Jr.2 plate). (.500”)
The Jr. 2 class should run the Green Plate (the current Jr. 1 plate). (.425”)
The Jr. 1 class should run the Red Plate. (.375”)

Option Two:
Implement gear rules in the classes to give additional control over the speed of the kart and driver.

Respectively,

Bill McCutcheon
AKRA, Inc

In my opinion, I think there should be another Jr class offered that is a blue plate class for 15-17 year olds. I do not think that this age group should be allowed to run with adults due to the fact that if an altercation occurs during a race where an adult jumps on a 16 year old for something that happens on the track, he could possibly be arrested for assault on a minor. It would also be a transition class to get them ready for adult classes. I do like the gear rule in all Jr classes also.

In my opinion, I think there should be another Jr class offered that is a blue plate class for 15-17 year olds. I do not think that this age group should be allowed to run with adults due to the fact that if an altercation occurs during a race where an adult jumps on a 16 year old for something that happens on the track, he could possibly be arrested for assault on a minor. It would also be a transition class to get them ready for adult classes. I do like the gear rule in all Jr classes also.

There is look for the rule change in the sticky!

A lot of these kids moving up have no respect for anything especially their fellow racers, they don't have to work Monday and they're dads make sure they have shiny new equipment for the next weekend.... I dont think adding another Jr class and prolong their graduation to Seniors is quite the answer, and may honestly be worse for their driving habits.... Trust me I've wanted to pop a few minors through the years, but, we cant. The tracks need to have and enforce rules for everyones safety instead of counting gate money.....

A lot of these kids moving up have no respect for anything especially their fellow racers, they don't have to work Monday and they're dads make sure they have shiny new equipment for the next weekend.... I dont think adding another Jr class and prolong their graduation to Seniors is quite the answer, and may honestly be worse for their driving habits....

I agree this is a good point. Around here I've seen JR3 drivers jump into the adult classes and have zero respect for the guys they are racing with, and when something happens on the track, those kids dads are the first people to come running out on the track to complain about something or try to fight other adult drivers. I actually had my helmet busted last year after getting to the scales, I made a last lap pass that one kids dad didn't agree with at all, and I was jumped by his dad and teammate at the scales. Stuff like this is ridiculous, and is exactly why kids dont belong in adult classes until they are adults. Its part of the reason why I quit racing last season, got tired of the BS and drama from a certain couple teams almost every race.

There is nothing worse than running and getting wrecked, you go to have a talk with the guy he jumps up and says i'm 16 what are you going to do? His father then jumps in with a SOUR attitude and says get away from my kid , when all you wanted to do is talk to him and try to explain how not to run thru the person your trying to pass and wait.

Changes plates wont solve nothing. You would have to dramatically reduce plates to even see a difference..wont work..a few tenths of a second wont save an injury from crashes..most will fast guys will still igure out how to turn same lap times on smaller plates as they did before anyway..this mess goes deeper than mechanics or speed.
It promotions allowing anything goes just to get that buck..its become border line child neglect to see what promoters and parents are doing with these kids just for money and bragging..the restrictions need to start with saying no ..no kids racing with adults..no experience no racing in anything but rookies.
No certified race helmet no race.no make 20 kart max field no race.
getting back to common sense stern descision making in several now neglected areas is what will help this .forget the politics and money and put a ft down to keep these kids safe..

Changes plates wont solve nothing. You would have to dramatically reduce plates to even see a difference..wont work..a few tenths of a second wont save an injury from crashes..most will fast guys will still igure out how to turn same lap times on smaller plates as they did before anyway..this mess goes deeper than mechanics or speed.
It promotions allowing anything goes just to get that buck..its become border line child neglect to see what promoters and parents are doing with these kids just for money and bragging..the restrictions need to start with saying no ..no kids racing with adults..no experience no racing in anything but rookies.
getting back to common sense stern descision making in several now neglected areas is what will help this .forget the politics and money and put a ft down to keep these kids safe..

AKRA is not saying mandatory to change plates, there just giving the option.

Yes!! big changes boil down to track owners and crew keeping drivers and safe.. Yes, if your not 17 or 18 you should not be in an adult class.. my.o2

That's good Cam but I have seen a lot of kids with no respect. They don't need to worry about feeding there family on Monday.

Chase Elliot just won the pole for the Daytona 500 in Sprint Cup. I bet he has raced with adults for quite sometime. Just saying that I am not sure that age is the issue.

Jr3 class were turning as good of lap times as Sr. classes with their weight at 330.
Smaller jets in carb, gear rule,camshaft lift. People will complain but it's better than sitting with your youngin in the Hospital.

I think it really boils down to respect - if the younger driver does not respect others, he shouldn't race. IF the jr driver has the respect of others, let him race with the adults.

Last edited:
I guess you know that this situation as presented here, has been the focus of raging arguments among the "UnlimitedAllStars" for years.
It is interesting to see the junior class having the same problems and seeking the same answers.
It is a multiple choice solution: 1.Slow 'em down with rules 2. Crack down HARD on even the semblance of bad driving.
3. Don't let 'em run with their peers until they run right. Make 'em run a full class lower, complete with the restrictions that the lower class employs.
This is very embarrassing to Jr. drivers, and greatly improves their motivation to stay off their fellow karters.

Chase Elliot just won the pole for the Daytona 500 in Sprint Cup. I bet he has raced with adults for quite sometime. Just saying that I am not sure that age is the issue.
Anyone who is the child and trained by Bill Elliot will be allowed to race in whatever class he wants.

Back