All street legal US cars should be limited to 200hp

Already has to a point. Research the cost of building a 500 HP engine yourself vs. buying one that Ford or Dodge produces [500 HP for a Chevy is push ing it ;0) ]

Cost of a Mustang GT vs. Mustang GT500 new.

We should all drive these so Paul could be happy....lol

erhygtrdegtrrgt.jpg

Somebody farted in a smart car

Do you remember the 80's when hot factory cars didn't have 200 hp . A time best left in the past .

Try merging into rush hour traffic on a short ramp towing your 24' trailer .

Pkish "...but ain't 200hp enough potential stupid to buy?"

HP doesn't make you stupid anymore than a red car makes you speed.
Stupid is as stupid does.
The free market will answer to what the people want which is way better than the gov't telling me what they think I need.
Who needs 200hp?
Who needs to eat 5000 calories a day every day while sitting on the sofa?
Yet there are a ton (ha!) of 400+ lb people out there.
All they need is 2000 calories a day.
Gov't... make it so.
We can grandfather in the ones that are already 400+.

OK, shhhhsss... I'll let ya in on a little secret, but don't tell anyone. In the city I just put the cruse on 35 and roll, no problem. On the highway, I just put the cruse on 55 and roll, no problem. In between the two, 45 and roll, no problem. I figure 200 hp is plenty to get by me if ya can find an opening to do it, makes for no problems either way. ... :)

ya know, when yer on the outside and I slde ya out a little where you don't want to be, or the same on the inside I leave ya room, but make ya have second thoughts about usin it. ... :)

I just can't think of a reason for a driver who uses good common sence driving, to needs more then 200 hp except to do something stupid.

Yeah we've all sat out butts on a heavy piece of steel and most have come face to face with the force it carries, but were all stupid at times, ain't we? Yeah I ain't got no right to tell you or anyone else how stupid they can be. ... But that's not true is it, you'd be breaking the law going a hundred in a school zone, ain't that an attempt to control stupid? ... only by the grace of God has my stupid had better results then others.

I'm not talking about control of anything, just throwing out an idea of what is reasonable. 15 or 20 in a school zone is reasonable... that is unless there's a school bus behind you, they you better get out of the way. ... :)

edit: and this is all pretty much about killing time trying to get better from this cold or what ever
I hear you on this and I agree for the most part....until today. I'll tell you what....Go down to ur local Chevy Dealer and see if they have a 2013 ZR1 622HP Corvette that you can take a spin in...I Did and changed my mind, and....nearly wet my pants as well! What is really 'cool' thou is all the young women smiling at this 'old' man!!

That no problem and a BIG problem. Some states it's impossible to impede the flow of traffic while maintaining the maximum speed limit and it perfectly ok to pass on the right.(ohio) Then others you stay to the right except to pass. (PA) ... makes for a big mess and lots of accidents if you live on the border between two different states.

All states should be either one way or another.

hate to bust the bubble, but the little white dial is tenths of a mile. 90,989.2 miles.

Should have caught that lol. I was half asleep when i saw it, you got me there. BUT, for all we know, that 90k could be 190k or 900k, no way to know by looking at the guage. older vehicles iv seen roll over once they reach 100k

Instead of building slugs, lets push technology (for those comapnies that aren't there already); no car manufactured after xx/yy/zzzz shall have less than 425 HP.....

In ATL the only time people do 55 is on the way up to 80.
If you want your butt righteously run over, try doing the speed limit on I-285.
Just watch out for the Doraville cops. :)

I remember years of going between the Washington, DC area and South Carolina or Florida on I-95; a really large percentage of the drivers seemed to think those blue and white sign were the speed limit signs. Hope they don't use that system on I-285...... :)

Thanks for the heads up on Doraville.

In ATL the only time people do 55 is on the way up to 80.
If you want your butt righteously run over, try doing the speed limit on I-285.
Just watch out for the Doraville cops. :)

I've been on and driven 285 many times over the years. For many years I use to do school often at different IBM buildings north of Atlanta, I think mostly Dunwoody(sp?) area. Probably spent about a few weeks a year there for many years.

Even rode a glider once at Stone Mountain.

I also have a sweat shirt from Dixie Speedway and Landfill, from 1989. ... :)

If has a late model on it with big lexan wings on the sides and back

Yeah exactly I wasn't offended lol. I just like to drive my truck fast and uphold my title of fastest street truck in Mena. And yes, I'm young, and yes, it's dangerous, but you have to be young sometime, right?

You know I just started reading this thread, so I'm a couple days/weeks commenting on this - but I can think of few things stupider then driving an old chevy truck that, even if you've tightened up the front end, would be wondering all over the road at 100, and compounding the idiocy by taking a picture.

About the time you plow into someone and kill them with your 'street truck' you might understand why many folks would like for stricter licensing standards - including maturity.

Defiantly possible...my Nissan 300zx rated at 200hp...then crank the boost upto 24lbs ,plug my race chip in and then race at 375 hp 11.5s in the 1/4mile...

I bought one back in 2004 brand new and it came stock with 287 HP. Did they downsize the motors?

Back