Another track requiring Adult blue plates

jr72

A new track just opened up close to me. They are not going to tech, Only require everyone to run blue plates. Basically saying they wont pull valve cover or check carb. They think as long as there is a plate on it that it wont matter what's inside. This is the second local track that has done this. I just don't get it.

Regardless of the rules package, there will always be a way around it. Most rules that are incorporated to save racers money will ultimately cost everyone more. My opinion is that any competitive track will need to have an adept tech program or else it will be hard-pressed to survive long-term.

A new track just opened up close to me. They are not going to tech, Only require everyone to run blue plates. Basically saying they wont pull valve cover or check carb. They think as long as there is a plate on it that it wont matter what's inside. This is the second local track that has done this. I just don't get it.

Put 18 lb springs in and show em !! Then they might get it.

I know most aren't running 10.8 now. I am and have been. I beat most of them on a plate while they were still unrestricted

Regardless of the rules package, there will always be a way around it. Most rules that are incorporated to save racers money will ultimately cost everyone more. My opinion is that any competitive track will need to have an adept tech program or else it will be hard-pressed to survive long-term.

No rules package can save money for racers.

Only racers can save money............if they choose.

Basically, racing motor vehicles is a poor way to save money............however, it is a great way to spend money. :)

I would love a rule like that around this area.
save a bunch of time at the end of the night
Would allow the builders to up the compression and do a bit of playing in other areas they currently cant.

I am sure your track knows things will be done to the motor but they don't care as they are only teck the Plate.
Seems like a simple good plan to me that will cut down on the he is cheating bla bla crap each weekend.

If they don't wanna tech the carb or anything else what makes anyone think they will pull the carb and check the holes in the plates? I'd be tempted to throw together a motor using old parts laying around and put a bigger cam, springs and better rod in it, then after they check the plate (if they do), tear the motor down and show them that it doesn't make a difference whether the plate is there or not.

And tracks wonder why racers dont show up? BS rules like that is how one of the local tracks near me shot themselves in the foot and lost 2/3 of their kart count, now they are lucky to see 10 karts a night there, and thats only if there is guaranteed money up for grabs

LOL I've always loved this. Spend all kinds of money on a blue printed motor and put a restrictor plate in it to slow it down. LOL LOL. Does box stock make more sense or not?

LOL I've always loved this. Spend all kinds of money on a blue printed motor and put a restrictor plate in it to slow it down. LOL LOL. Does box stock make more sense or not?

I would say not. While the theory behind "box stock" is sound, racers will not leave anything alone long. The clone engine was supposed to save everyone all this money, and now builders are getting upwards of 1000 dollars for a clone engine that will probably be outdated next season. Snowballs will roll downhill, and in racing, change costs money, more often than not more money than we were already spending.

I would say not. While the theory behind "box stock" is sound, racers will not leave anything alone long. The clone engine was supposed to save everyone all this money, and now builders are getting upwards of 1000 dollars for a clone engine that will probably be outdated next season. Snowballs will roll downhill, and in racing, change costs money, more often than not more money than we were already spending.

Then put the restrictor plate in the box stock at least there is a real savings then.

The restrictor plate idea is a bad decision by the track. This will end up creating higher dollar engines, which will keep the playing field unlevel.......rethink this one.

So, what would be a good track to race at? one that says, "run what you brung" and hope you brung enough? 100% open rules?? just put a overall weight on the kart driver combo? and run by weight??

Just go with Stock Appearing Clone (or Animal if you fancy that), 87 Octane only, and be done with it. This way anyone can build what ever they want in their garage and race it. No BS in the tech barn. If you want to spend, you can go out and get an engine from an engine builder. Or just source the cam and crank yourself, port and polish till your heart is content, and go racing! There will always be haves and have nots in this sport. "How fast do you want to spend?" comes to mind. Its is as old an argument as the day is long. LO206 is turning out to be a good base in the sprint world for cost control and a "box stock" type of rule set. I wonder how long it will take to trickle down to dirt?

Jr72 you are right the blue plate rule is strange. It essentially creates a stock appearing rule set. Just go full stock appearing and let em rip!

I think Blueplate only is interesting.

If a track had transponders, couldn't they then just have two classes, by adding plates to restrict fuel?

Couldn't you have a series of plates and when you improved and got faster, you'd then have to put on more restriction via a smaller plate. It would make all equal to either the slowest competitor or to a standard track time. Maybe say if adults get quicker then 13 seconds they have to change to a smaller plate. And maybe if kids got quicker then 15 seconds, they have to change to a smaller plate. Everyone would be able to win and if you improved with either engine, driving, tires or setup, you'd be slowed down.

If you want more classes so more people can go home happy with a trophy, then just add more times that need to be met. If you want to go fast, join the racing for 12 second laps. If your not comfortable going that fast, join a class with 17 second laps.

You'd have forced bracket racing, where if you got too good instead of breaking out of the bracket, they just slow you down. ... :)

I think Blueplate only is interesting.

If a track had transponders, couldn't they then just have two classes, by adding plates to restrict fuel?

Couldn't you have a series of plates and when you improved and got faster, you'd then have to put on more restriction via a smaller plate. It would make all equal to either the slowest competitor or to a standard track time. Maybe say if adults get quicker then 13 seconds they have to change to a smaller plate. And maybe if kids got quicker then 15 seconds, they have to change to a smaller plate. Everyone would be able to win and if you improved with either engine, driving, tires or setup, you'd be slowed down.

If you want more classes so more people can go home happy with a trophy, then just add more times that need to be met. If you want to go fast, join the racing for 12 second laps. If your not comfortable going that fast, join a class with 17 second laps.

You'd have forced bracket racing, where if you got too good instead of breaking out of the bracket, they just slow you down. ... :)

LOL Paul....Forced bracket racing...
I gotta think this is a BAD idea...(possibly one of your worst)
"make everyone equal to the slowest competitor" and "everyone would be able to win."

YIKES, let's just hand everyone a participation trophy and thank them for paying their entry fee.
Kind of reminds me of "no child left behind" or Communism!

Whatever happened to the spirit of competition, getting the very most out of your equipment, and trying harder to actually WIN?!

To the OP though, restrictor plates simply drive up the cost of building HP. Ask anyone that builds them -- from kart engines to 360 sprint car engines to Nascar and F1. The more intake restriction you make, the more difficult (ie time consuming) and expensive (time is money) to make HP. It would really make the best engine builders' stuff shine (even more than it already does.)

Just my opinion though. ;)
-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Volunteer for Tech. Be prepared to spend some $ on Tech Tools, and stay after to do the actual Tech itself. Maybe they might pay you, maybe they can't / won't. Just depends.

Back