Best oil for clones ?

dont know about best... but i use this in my wifes kart (animal motor), got from ARC
IMG_5627.jpg

and this in the motors i play with on the mini bikes (FHS 62R) from ISKY
IMG_4941.jpg

I personally have had great wear results with Royal Purple over the last few years , plus when I need it I just go to the parts store and get it lol

I did run thor and joe gibbs oil. Had a motor lock down in a race with gibbs oil and thor just didn't seem to help wear any. Then I tryed Amsoil and loved it the wear is better and they said it dont make as much power but the dyno said different. Jmo

Last edited:
Whatever your engine builder says to....

I like Cool Power. Affordable and proven. However, like most PAG's, you need to drain it after each race day to prevent moisture from developing.

More expensive, but does not have moisture issues, Amsoil and Red E.

^^X2 Agreed WHY??? Would anyone use 0W-?? oil Must have Read it's Good Scremr Tell your son to run 0W-5W in his Big Block I heard its Good........LOL Dave

^^X2 Agreed WHY??? Would anyone use 0W-?? oil Must have Read it's Good Scremr Tell your son to run 0W-5W in his Big Block I heard its Good........LOL Dave

Did not say anything about big blocks or modifieds, the question was, best oil for clones, and i just answered a simple question with my opinon, nothing more. I did not say it was a fact or that everyone would agree with it, just what i use. Iv used different oils since iv been racing, and tried alot of new brands, i had the best results with Royal Purple 0w20 or 5w20 when the other wasnt available. Now i simply use thor lite because its cheaper, and havent noticed any more wear on the internals than i did with royal purple. What viscosity do you think Thor Lite or other lite karting oils are? It is not 5w20 or 10w30, seems to be some pretty light stuff, more like 0w20 if even that. I was talking about stock class clones, not modifieds or big blocks. For the big blocks and modifieds, id agree with FHS62R

Did not say anything about big blocks or modifieds, the question was, best oil for clones, and i just answered a simple question with my opinon, nothing more. I did not say it was a fact or that everyone would agree with it, just what i use. Iv used different oils since iv been racing, and tried alot of new brands, i had the best results with Royal Purple 0w20 or 5w20 when the other wasnt available. Now i simply use thor lite because its cheaper, and havent noticed any more wear on the internals than i did with royal purple. What viscosity do you think Thor Lite or other lite karting oils are? It is not 5w20 or 10w30, seems to be some pretty light stuff, more like 0w20 if even that. I was talking about stock class clones, not modifieds or big blocks. For the big blocks and modifieds, id agree with FHS62R
Ur Cool Z...:)

I would avoid using any oils designed for automotive applications. They are designed for a pump and filter based system, not a splash dipper system.Agreed that you must use a synthetic, but there are many types of synthetics and you should have some idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the ones you choose.

The posting above that relates to using a 0W oil should not concern anyone as the oil does not act like a 0 viscosity oil unless it is subjected to low temperatures, which most of you do not encounter, the oil will be much more like an oil with a viscosity of 20. Most of you are using oils in the 20 range anyway, so no harm done. Now if you are ice racing or using these on a snowmobile use the 0w and 5w because you need them.

I did run thor and joe gibbs oil. Had a motor lock down in a race with gibbs oil and thor just didn't seem to help wear any. Then I tryed Amsoil and loved it the wear is better and they said it dont make as much power but the dyno said different. Jmo
What oil did you use from Amsoil,I have a clone

No oil will save a crank and rod that is not proper clearance.

Back