Briggs Intek 206 Questions

Hey all,
I have a briggs intek 206cc, bone stock, and I was wondering if billet parts would even be worth it. I just received a tachometer in the mail, and billet parts are going to cost me $250 (around that) (I think unless someone knows of a cheaper way to obtain them). I have read on another forum that the stock rod could handle 6000rpm, is that true? If so, then what about the flywheel. Anyways, thanks in advance.

If this is just the Intek and not the animal ( or the LO206) you do not have much that is usable in any sanctioned racing. What are you going to use it for?

Last edited:
just messing around with on a minibike. It works fine stock, just very low revs so I wanted to install higher # valve springs and billet parts

Just about anything you may want to do would be better be done by finding an old animal or LO206. I guess you could take your motor and install an animal piston rod and cam and valve springs animal retainers, keepers but the exhaust on the intek head is really restrictive and the carb isn't much either. Then you would have to have concerns over the reliability of the flywheel. Turning that Intek into anything with power really is just a losing effort. Best way to do it would be to lift up the oil fill caps, slide in an animal under them and reinstall the oil caps.

Last edited:
Yeah I am aware that it is not rated for 6000rpms, I just wanted to know if anyone had spun it up to that with no issues. again, I am also not racing, would 6-7000 rpm really be that big of an issue, even if it takes 10-15 seconds to get up to that?

Under any load I don't think it could get up there, certainly not 7,000, without a change of carb and probably head

Last edited:
Yeah I am aware that it is not rated for 6000rpms, I just wanted to know if anyone had spun it up to that with no issues. again, I am also not racing, would 6-7000 rpm really be that big of an issue, even if it takes 10-15 seconds to get up to that?
Yes it would be an issue . Flywheel exploding while you straddle the engine going 38 mph would be an issue .

Good way to lose a leg. Like stated best bet would just be an animal in place of that intek. If I had a spare animal and the right pipe I would run one on my pitbike. A built flathead would be my next choice. Both would be safer that spinning a stock intek to 6-7k.

Jacob
It sounds like you want to qualify for a Darwin Award:)
Google flywheels exploding.

lol, apparently these flywheels arent as strong as I thought. Well, I think I'm going to put higher # valve springs in, and install a stock animal rod and flywheel and just keep her at 6k.

If you are going to install a rod -- don't bother with a stock animal rod -- either go with ARC billet, or the WF rod. Even the L206 rod squeeze cast would be better. I have dozens of animal take-out rods here that I would sell cheap, but I would never recommend them for what you are doing.
Now, for a flywheel, you could do well to get a JR billet flywheel (used or new) from an older animal engine.
If you are going to run continued higher rpm, you can expect to seize the crank in the sidecover main bushing at some point. Just another area that you will want to upgrade to animal/206.
Like many others have already suggested, I'd cut your losses on the engine that you have and research something better to start with (animal, 206, World Formula, etc.)
Just a few random thoughts for you to consider.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Can I swap the bushings for bearings? I still think swapping all of this would be cheaper than just outright buying an animal or world formula.

https://4cycle.com/karting/threads/animal-engine-identification.118250/page-2#post-844678

In the above post Mr. Carlson states he has some old Jr Racecar flywheels, I would suspect he would not want a lot of cash for one. If you have a cast iron cylinder liner, get an animal piston, rod, and stock animal cam and valve springs. Use the animal retainers and keepers. I would be certain that he, or any else that builds animals has tons of all this stuff lying around but since he has the flywheel you might as well get everything from him. Between your carb and head you have an adapter made of some sort of composite material. Open that up to match the carb and intake port. Open up the exhaust port as well. Picking up a used or take out animal crank is probably a good investment as well. This gentleman, Mr Baker, was selling new take out cranks for only $35.00. https://4cycle.com/karting/threads/brand-new-animal-and-wf-cranshafts.118216/#post-847908 I bought some and they came exactly as described. Follow these directions and you should get better performance and safety for a very reasonable amount. Don't scrimp on the flywheel.

Last edited:
There are lots of good used Billet Animal flywheels out there. I have some of them. $40.00
Someone might even have one they would give you.

Back