Childhood memories

..on the rear window deck......great for napping on a trip. Second best place was hanging on belly over front seat back......could see practically everything. :)

As I and the family grew too big for the rear window deck, best place was on the ice chest in between the two captains chairs in the van.

As I and the family grew too big for the rear window deck, best place was on the ice chest in between the two captains chairs in the van.

We had some monster Oldsmobile station wagon - preferred riding place was in the very back, behind the back seat - sometimes with the window down. My Grandma went with us on vacation one year and was worried we'd die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Dad finally told her it was okay and to quit worrying. Maybe he didn't like us all that much.

Had a fire truck with ladders on the side.

Attachments

• 403790_472661039428668_690493120_n.jpg
    403790_472661039428668_690493120_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 36
Here's a good story for the forum. When I was 9 years old my uncle took me to the State Fair of Texas. They had a huge automobile building where "the big three" had huge displays of new cars. Chevy had a promotion with an orange fiberglass body Monza go kart they were giving away. Man, I would have gladly cut off my right arm for that car. My uncle left me there filling out entry forms for three hours, I was so sure I was going to win it after stuffing the ballet box. But of course I didn't. Fast forward to last December and I see one on ebay and it's right here in the Dallas area. I contacted the owner and she tells me her father had one it and it's been in their family ever since. And, they live about a half mile from my uncle's farm! Well, the bidding went crazy so I didn't buy it but it did bring back some good memories. (I hope the image works)

monza01TN_zpsa1613901.jpg.html

When I was 15/16 we would buy breakfast on the way to school , a pack of Marlboros, a Snickers candy bar and a Pepsi for 1.00 .

How about your childhood hero's. Mine was John Wayne. Second had to be the Lone Ranger.

If you had a "real hero" like to hear about that too. Mine was my Dad though I lost him when I was only seventeen.

We had some monster Oldsmobile station wagon - preferred riding place was in the very back, behind the back seat - sometimes with the window down. My Grandma went with us on vacation one year and was worried we'd die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Dad finally told her it was okay and to quit worrying. Maybe he didn't like us all that much.

LOL... the Vista Cruiser - rearward facing fold down seat in the "way back" as we used to "call" or put dibs on it... and yes with the rear window rolled down, you could hit the car behind you with spit-balls from a straw, or gutted BIC ball point pen.

dad used to sneak me an my brother into the drive-in movies in the trunk panel in the back of our Ford Fairlane wagon... got to see MASH, Bullit, Easy Rider, Vanishing Point... I think I was 8 or 9....

Back