Childhood memories

Used to pick up bottles off the side of the road and take them up for return deposit money and buy candy...

Yeah it was fun knocking the air out of Bozo, I remember riding my first kart at the state fair grounds, I was less than 5 and a tiny kid,*I remember my dad arguing with the guy at the track to let me ride it.*

The guy said if he can reach peddles he can, the kart had a big loop steering post, so I put my feet and legs inside the loop so I could reach the peddels, I was riding around the track and probable looking like Swervin Irvan but passing everyone. My dad said later the track guy was mad as fire, the guy stopped everyone and came over to me and made me put my legs outside the big loop steering post.

I am sure he thought I was not able to push the gas peddle then and I could not at first, so he let us go again and I sat sideways in the kart so I could reach the gas peddle,*I had no problem out smarting that genius.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 12
We had a circular device on a stand that had a seat in it that you could sit in and rock back and forth until you finally would go completely around. Of course someone was always on hand to 'help you' go around more than you would want to.

One day we figured out how to get it off the stand and rolled it over to a small hill behind our house. Middle sister (about 4 at the time) was installed in it and allowed to roll down the hill. Luckily she only went a couple revolutions before the contraption bounced and fell on its side, scratching her up a little, but causing us (me) to heave a sigh of relief. Of course, Mom got involved and I ended up grounded.

Killer toys, surprised any of us lived. My Grandpa bought that for us, maybe he had insurance on us.

My very first memory ever was riding in the back of a pickup truck. Me and some of my aunts and uncles. I had an uncle that was only four years older than me. I believe it was about 1943 and we were moving from Oakland California to San Jose. I remember I figured out why the radio wouldn't work, no place to plug it in. Lots of things packed into the pickup truck with us kids stuffed into every available space.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

Al, your telling us you rode in the back of a pickup truck with out a seat belt or anything to hold you in. Where you guys nuts back then, LOL
Now a days they would throw your parent in the hoosegow.

Some of my favorite memories were Sat. night at Flemington Squared dirt oval, or Middletown, N.Y., for stockcar races, then Sun. at Nazareth,Pa for same thing, often at Island Dragway in Great Meadows, N.J., where I raced my '55 Ford station wagon, 26 trophys in 1 yr., my flathead Ford powered Dragster rail, and 3 or 4 more other bigger and better rails. Sadly them days are gone forever, but the memories are still there, I even ran my S.B.C. rail at the Harmony,N.J. 1/8 mile drag strip on a few nights, also ran at the Naz. tues. night drags in front of the old covered stands.

All the good games we played as a kid aren't allowed now. Mumbly peg, Jarts(or lawn darts). Played a lot of Frisbee. I read the other day that the man who invented the Frisbee passed away. I think they found him on someones roof.

Al, your telling us you rode in the back of a pickup truck with out a seat belt or anything to hold you in. Where you guys nuts back then, LOL
Now a days they would throw your parent in the hoosegow.
We Were Right in the Middle of a World War, there were much more serious things to think about.

You have to think, after listening to the "we know better than you groups" today, how we ever made it through childhood. Now days, the ADT medication advocates are on every street corner. Is it any wonder that our kids believe pills are available that can help everything?

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.
(Al Nunley)

Yup. as I've said before, as kids we'd climb a tree. then: If we fell out of the tree and broke an arm, we learned our lesson to be more careful when climbing trees. now: CUT DOWN THAT TREE!! IT'S DANGEROUS TO OUR CHILDREN!!

I too wonder how we ever survived. (??)

Back